Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · I'm off to Shoot Bald Eagles Tomorrow..Shooting Tips Want...

cohenfive
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I'm off to Shoot Bald Eagles Tomorrow..Shooting Tips Wanted...

while i have shot birds before, and eagles before, at places like the Sacramento NWR, tomorrow my wife and i are going on a 3 hour boat ride in california's central valley on a reservoir that is the only spot where bald eagles nest in the state. we are going to the camanche/pardee reservoirs (our boat is going out on camanche) on a pontoon boat looking for the eagles and other wildlife that hang out at the reservoir. they only do these boat tours 2 days a year, and it will be our first time.

i am going to use my d3 with 500vr of course, and will bring my tc1.7 along just in case. no tripods allowed as there is not enough room on the small boat. it is going to be a bright, sunny afternoon so i am also thinking of bringing my polarizer for the 500vr which i have actually never used before....

anyway, we are pretty excited as it should be a fun adventure, and i'm wondering if you guys and gals have any shooting or other tips for me, basic or advanced. i hope we get some good shots of the birds in their nests and maybe even on the water in action, and i will report back if i have anything decent to share.

Edited on Jan 12, 2012 at 10:26 PM · View previous versions

Jan 12, 2012 at 10:01 PM
B Benson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I'm off to Shoot Bald Eagles Tomorrow..Shooting Tips Wanted...

Good luck, will look forward to see your images. Bruce

Jan 12, 2012 at 10:20 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I'm off to Shoot Bald Eagles Tomorrow..Shooting Tips Wanted...

Sounds like you'll be having a great time! My only advice it check your exposures often to prevent blowing out the whites on the head and tail.

Tim

Jan 12, 2012 at 10:20 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I'm off to Shoot Bald Eagles Tomorrow..Shooting Tips Wanted...

Good luck Richard. If you have a chance, go somewhere where there are plenty of gulls, and practice some IF shots so you have some idea what to expect ~ Ron

Jan 12, 2012 at 11:59 PM
jbledsoe
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I'm off to Shoot Bald Eagles Tomorrow..Shooting Tips Wanted...

I'd suggest pulling up and adjusting the polariser at first angle to sun and every time you move more than 30ish degrees. I used to use mine all the time for sports when I had excellent light and for wildlife too but kept forgetting it was there and missing shots or forgetting to adjust it. Works great over the water to get that reflection just the way you want it.

Jan 13, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

cohenfive
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I'm off to Shoot Bald Eagles Tomorrow..Shooting Tips Wanted...

ron, i have shot birds before, hopefully we luck out and get some good action shots. the only times i have shot bald eagles before they have been stationary in a tree, only saw one fly off once....on the cpl, i'll put it on the 500vr tomorrow afternoon for a test ride.

Jan 13, 2012 at 03:17 AM
cohenfive
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I'm off to Shoot Bald Eagles Tomorrow..Shooting Tips Wanted...

one other question for you...when shooting wildlife are you usually using (i'm a nikon shooter) single point af or dynamic area, and do you use 3d tracking with it or not?

Jan 13, 2012 at 03:38 AM
donjackson
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I'm off to Shoot Bald Eagles Tomorrow..Shooting Tips Wanted...

Wish you a successful and fun shoot!

Also, you say that this spot "is the only spot where bald eagles nest in the state"
There is an eagle nest within a few miles of me and know of more further out and I am in Northern CA.

Jan 13, 2012 at 05:00 AM
cohenfive
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I'm off to Shoot Bald Eagles Tomorrow..Shooting Tips Wanted...

don, i guess i stand corrected, that is what they told me when i signed up for the boat trip. now that i think of it, it didn't make sense that there are no other year round bald eagles in the state bearing young...ok, so there aren't many.....

Jan 13, 2012 at 05:23 AM
donjackson
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I'm off to Shoot Bald Eagles Tomorrow..Shooting Tips Wanted...

I would agree that there aren't many and in any case it sounds like a great opportunity... and I hope you have a great trip and get lots of great photos!

Jan 13, 2012 at 07:34 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password