Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Best macro lens

bushwacker
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Best macro lens

hey guys....and all macro shooters.

I have an ef-s 60mm macro used for it general macro shots, until recently [ i bought some lights] im having problems with shooting distance especially with my lights.. because I'm too close to the subject the camera-lens is casting a shadow on my subject.

My question:

I need at least .5 meter or 3 feet distance from my subject-to-camera. I shoot miniature objects like bugs and wedding rings, watches.

Which one of these lenses fit most? [ I am looking for 1:1, sharpest, smooth bokeh & I want to fill the frame with the subject no closer than 1.5 feet ].

EF 100mm f/2.8 usm macro
EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro
EF 180mm f/3.5 L

Sigma AF 70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro
Sigma AF 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro
Sigma AF 150mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM APO macro
Sigma AF 180mm f/3.5 EX HSM APO macro

Tokina AF 100mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro D macro

Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 SP Di macro
Tamron AF 180mm f/3.5 SP Di LD [IF] macro

thanks...

Jan 08, 2012 at 05:52 PM
Photon
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Best macro lens

All else being equal, the longer FL lenses will be least likely to interfere with your lights. A ring light helps for some uses, if you want that kind of shadowless light. Getting the light(s) further off axis adds texture and avoids shadows from a lens or lens hood.
The Canon 180 and Sigma 150/180 are all highly regarded.
If you post this on the Macro forum board you'll likely get tons of knowledgeable and specific suggestions.

Jan 08, 2012 at 05:56 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Best macro lens

This review has a chart of MFD's: http://the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-150mm-f-2.8-EX-DG-HSM-Macro-Lens-Review.aspx

Jan 08, 2012 at 06:19 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Best macro lens

The 100L IS is one of my most-used lenses. Sharp with hardly any distortion and the IS is great! I use it to shoot products, bugs and flowers, and portraits! I highly recommend it.

Jan 08, 2012 at 07:29 PM
trumpet_guy
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Best macro lens

It sounds like you want a lot of working distance between you and your subject.
While on full frame I prefer 100mm over 180mm, since that 100mm is a more useful focal length
for my all-around shooting, I think on full frame you would be most happy with the EF 180/3.5L,
which has a great reputation. However, you are shooting on a cropper, so you should at least
try a 100 or 100L macro to see if you like this focal length. If not, go for the 180L.

Jan 08, 2012 at 07:39 PM
bushwacker
• • •
p.1 #6 · Best macro lens

trumpet_guy wrote:
While on full frame I prefer 100mm over 180mm, since that 100mm is a more useful focal length
for my all-around shooting, I think on full frame you would be most happy with the EF 180/3.5L,
which has a great reputation. However, you are shooting on a cropper, so you should at least
try a 100 or 100L macro to see if you like this focal length. If not, go for the 180L.

I will be shooting on full frame camera. Do you think 180mm is good in 15ft x 15ft. room? while maintaining 3 feet distance from subject?

Jan 08, 2012 at 07:57 PM
bushwacker
• • •
p.1 #7 · Best macro lens

trumpet_guy wrote:

This is what I am worried about, I am thinking maybe 180mm is too long for 15ft x 15ft room. My requirement is too fill the frame [ full frame ] with my subject.

Jan 08, 2012 at 08:04 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Best macro lens

I'm confused; what does a 15x15 room have to do with macro? Even with a 180mm macro, your working distance is about a foot and a half. Are you planning to use the same lens to do portraits or something?

Jan 08, 2012 at 08:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

hatch1921
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Best macro lens

For the money... the Canon 100mm non L is a fantastic lens. I shot with it for a little over four years. Solid build, easy to handle.

I'm now shooting with the Sigma 180mm macro. LOVE IT! All depends on your shooting style. I shot the 100mm hand-held 99% of the time.... with the Sigma I use a monopod due to the focal length.

Here is a little review with some full res sample shots ....Sigma 180mm macro.
http://www.hatch1921.com/lens-review-sigma-180mm-macro/

Frank

Edited on Jan 08, 2012 at 08:30 PM · View previous versions

Jan 08, 2012 at 08:18 PM
Photon
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Best macro lens

timbop wrote:
I'm confused; what does a 15x15 room have to do with macro? Even with a 180mm macro, your working distance is about a foot and a half. Are you planning to use the same lens to do portraits or something?

+1
You mention bugs, wedding rings, watches and a minimum 3 foot distance (to sensor or to front of lens?), which suggests you need between 1:1 and 1:4 at that distance. Life size with a large working distance requires quite a long focal length. You may need something like a 180 macro plus a 2x extender if I read you correctly, or maybe a 300 with extension tubes. Seems excessive though. Maybe try a 180 and figure out how to position your lights?

Jan 08, 2012 at 08:27 PM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Best macro lens

You're going about the issue all wrong, IMO. I think you should be focusing on lighting rather than the lens. Look into the MT-24 or an off shoe speedlite with a decent diffuser.

Check out the setup thread in the macro forum for ideas. If you insist on buying a new lens I'd say the EF100/100L or the Sigma 150 or 180 would be excellent choices.

Jan 08, 2012 at 08:50 PM
arnold1
• • •
p.1 #12 · Best macro lens

M Vers wrote:
You're going about the issue all wrong, IMO. I think you should be focusing on lighting rather than the lens. Look into the MT-24 or an off shoe speedlite with a decent diffuser.

Check out the setup thread in the macro forum for ideas. If you insist on buying a new lens I'd say the EF100/100L or the Sigma 150 or 180 would be excellent choices.

I totally agree. I love 100 and 100 IS both.

Jan 08, 2012 at 09:21 PM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #13 · Best macro lens

Your current Canon 60mm lens has a minimum working distance of 3.5 inches at maximum magnification, while the Canon 180mm macro lens has a minimum working distance of 9.5 inches at full 1:1 magnification. A Canon 100mm would be around 6 inches. You will not be 3 feet away at full maginifaction with any macro lens, but it all depends on what magnification you need to shoot as to how far away you will actually be.

I find the 100mm macro lens to work out fine for all macro subjects when using lights, and the lights normally would be coming more from the sides or above, and thus not leaving shadows in the shot. Another big factor is using more diffuse light, like from a white reflecor or from a soft box, which will help minimize any shadows.

Jan 08, 2012 at 09:26 PM
bushwacker
• • •
p.1 #14 · Best macro lens

timbop wrote:

dude... I will be in a 15 x 15 feet room inside I will be shooting macros shots., the subject will be on the center... much like same setup when you are playing pool.

I want to know if 180mm requires more space to fill my subject on full frame.

Jan 09, 2012 at 12:50 AM
roboticspro
• • •
p.1 #15 · Best macro lens

Hi,

You have had the attention of some of the best macro shooters around, so somewhere within all the replies is your solution. But, might I suggest renting some macro lenses to find if you really can use just one? My micro/macro solutions start at 20mm and run to 400mm (a Canon FD 200mm macro with a 2X TC behind it), as there is not "one best macro" IMHO.

Best of luck with your search.

Edd

Jan 09, 2012 at 01:02 AM
bushwacker
• • •
p.1 #16 · Best macro lens

roboticspro wrote:
Hi,

You have had the attention of some of the best macro shooters around, so somewhere within all the replies is your solution. But, might I suggest renting some macro lenses to find if you really can use just one? My micro/macro solutions start at 20mm and run to 400mm (a Canon FD 200mm macro with a 2X TC behind it), as there is not "one best macro" IMHO.

Best of luck with your search.

Edd

right now I am doing some tests with 70-200mm L f/2.8 just measuring the distance at various focal lengths... I know this lens doesn't focus close.. just using it to measure the distance at each focal lenght see if subject fills the frame., & not hitting the room's wall.

Jan 09, 2012 at 01:08 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password