New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2011 · Thinking about inkjetmall ink for my 3880

jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Thinking about inkjetmall ink for my 3880

Instructions (pdf) are good but a little vague and don't actually show how you load the ink. Is it via syringe or funnel? How much ink per cartridge, etc...

The site refers to a large format printer instructional video which presumably works the same as the 3880 but there is no mention in the video of swapping out chips as described in the 3880 inkjetmall pdf. Does anyone know where there is more information about this procedure?

And if you have not tried 3rd party inks, please do not reply. I'm not interested in chest beating and other childish attention-getting antics.

Thanks in advance.

Edited on Jan 04, 2012 at 12:32 PM · View previous versions

Dec 30, 2011 at 08:55 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Thinking about inkjetmall ink for my 3880

I'm not sure if you've done your research on aftermarket inks for any of the higher end photo printers but my experience is that you stick with Canon/Epson/HP or whoever. Just way too many 'issues' with even the best suppliers.

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:45 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Thinking about inkjetmall ink for my 3880

Sarsfield wrote:
I'm not sure if you've done your research on aftermarket inks for any of the higher end photo printers but my experience is that you stick with Canon/Epson/HP or whoever. Just way too many 'issues' with even the best suppliers.

I haven't found any data to support your conclusion based on reviews of inkjetmall or inkrepublic. Yes, there are bad reviews of some of the generic chinese inks and carts but everything I've read about inkjetmall and inkrepublic has been favorable.

Jon Cone inks (inkjetmall) have a great reputation.

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:57 PM
Dave R.
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Thinking about inkjetmall ink for my 3880

jzucker wrote:
I haven't found any data to support your conclusion based on reviews of inkjetmall or inkrepublic. Yes, there are bad reviews of some of the generic chinese inks and carts but everything I've read about inkjetmall and inkrepublic has been favorable.

Jon Cone inks (inkjetmall) have a great reputation.

Let us know how it works for you once you've made the switch and used the system. I for one would be interested to know.

Dec 31, 2011 at 07:43 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Thinking about inkjetmall ink for my 3880

Will do. I'm hoping to get a little more feedback on inkrepublic vs inkjetmall.

Dec 31, 2011 at 10:54 AM
snoakes1
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Thinking about inkjetmall ink for my 3880

I was in the same boat as you about a year ago, had replaced carts on my 4880 with Epson OEM several times and started researching alternatives. I read all the good and bad on refillable carts, took a chance and went ahead and ordered the complete kit of inks and carts from Inkjetmall. I was a little nervous at first but after following the instructions that came with kit it really was pretty easy. I used the chip resetter and used the chips that came attached to the refillable carts. Every time I turned it on I had to go through the "Not Epson Inks" message, got tired of that so I swapped the chips out with the ones from the OEM carts I had saved. Just be careful and take your time doing this, I used just a little dot of hot glue to reattach. That took care of the error message and works just like before. I have looked my prints over really close and can't see any difference in quality. The only thing I'm not sure of is how they will do over time.
Overall the whole thing has been pretty simple once I got over my initial fear
If you have any more questions let me know

Scott

Edited on Dec 31, 2011 at 07:51 PM · View previous versions

Dec 31, 2011 at 01:21 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Thinking about inkjetmall ink for my 3880

Thanks Scott. One question - If you don't use the 2 custom controller chips from the inkjetmall how does the maintenance tank work and how does the printer know the ink is full?

Dec 31, 2011 at 01:46 PM
dadagallery
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Thinking about inkjetmall ink for my 3880

No personal experience but a friend dedicated one of his printers to black and white printing and went with Cone inks. It took him a bit to profile the new inks to the papers he favored but after that he enjoyed a trouble free system. His prints look a notch above what he was achieving with the Epson inks to produce B&W images. Good luck.

Dec 31, 2011 at 01:51 PM
jjnyc

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Thinking about inkjetmall ink for my 3880

So you spent good money on a great printer, now you want to use second rate ink.? I don't understand it, but maybe it's just me. For that extra price you get a more consistent product. I have a 3880 and a GS 6000, my linearization drift is so slight that the difference in price is worth it. For me consistency is more important.

I see from your bio that you play guitar, so do I. Think of it this way. Would you put second rate strings on your favorite Ax?

Just my thoughts.
JJ

Dec 31, 2011 at 02:37 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Thinking about inkjetmall ink for my 3880

The tests I've seen don't indicate its second rate ink. Wheres the data to support that?

Dec 31, 2011 at 02:50 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Thinking about inkjetmall ink for my 3880

also regarding guitars, www.thegearpage.net is full of guys with $10k guitar setups who and they still can't play stairway to heaven, much less Giant Steps...

Dec 31, 2011 at 03:09 PM
Kyle Hunter
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Thinking about inkjetmall ink for my 3880

Why not support the manufacture of your printer? They do profit when you buy their ink, and profit funds R&D.

Dec 31, 2011 at 03:24 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Thinking about inkjetmall ink for my 3880

Kyle Hunter wrote:
Why not support the manufacture of your printer? They do profit when you buy their ink, and profit funds R&D.

That's funny! I already give to charity, my money goes to *my* choice!

Dec 31, 2011 at 03:55 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Thinking about inkjetmall ink for my 3880

read this for some fade test info/results

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6868&p=1

Dec 31, 2011 at 03:55 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Thinking about inkjetmall ink for my 3880

Thanks for the info on the fade results.

I love this quote from that thread:

"I've often wondered about the statements that OEM inks & papers have the word "quality or best" attached to them & the 3rd party consumables are considered to be close but not as good. Do all the OEM ink makers have top secret ingredients in their inks & papers, do they even make their own inks & papers? I think Canons Fine Art Rag paper is made by Hahnemuhle & you can use Hahnemuhle's own ICC profile with it.
I think too many myths get created on the internet & get a life of its own which most photographers seem to accept without questioning.
The obsession with archival properties seems to be the latest internet mantra whereby you are almost cheating a person by selling them a print made with dye inks, I imagine these same photographers were quite happily selling dye ink prints before pigment inks became de rigueur. A lot of this seems more about the ego of the photographer than the worry about the person buying their prints, I'm not talking about the great photographers selling prints for astronomical prices that the purchaser looks at as an investment but the run of mill stuff that sells for 100s of dollars & most of the buyers of these prints probably wouldn't care less if the print has faded in 10 years time as they will probably be sick of looking at it by then. It appears to me that the run of the mill photographer is the only one who is worried that their precious work of art will last for an eternity as we all live in a throw away society & a $300 or $500 print is the least thing we will be worried about in 10 or 20 years time, yes dye inks last that long.
I have a dye ink printer & if I did sell a print & the word archival did come up I would just stick a CD with the print file on it to the back of the print..............With acid free tape of course:-)"

Jan 01, 2012 at 10:34 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Thinking about inkjetmall ink for my 3880

If someone is selling a raw print for $30+, I think they should be using best quality paper & inks. The production cost for a 'mass produced' 11x17 is around $4. Ultimately, the cost of the ink pales in comparison to the cost of top flight paper(s) and I always ask the artists/printmakers what paper & inkset they use. Some are marginally clueless and some appreciate the interest and will be more than happy to talk. The only seller I have run into using 3rd party inks was a great B/W artist and they were using one of the Cone BW sets.

Jan 01, 2012 at 11:08 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Thinking about inkjetmall ink for my 3880

I agree Howard. The interesting thing is the assumption that Epson is not selling a product for profit and that they would necessarily make the best ink for their printer. Canon sells filters for their lenses but they are extremely low quality. Epson's business strategy is to sell the printer for low cost and recoup the investment/profit on selling the consumables. Even their 3880 carts which contain about 60ml of ink only allow you to use ~45ml before they register empty.

Anyway, thanks for keeping the thread on target. Hopefully we can discuss 3rd party inks without a bunch of flame wars about supporting epson, etc...

Jan 01, 2012 at 11:19 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Thinking about inkjetmall ink for my 3880

Probably the biggest issue (for me) if I were to consider 3p inks, are the icc printer profiles. Canned icc profiles are often readily available for epson printers, and obviously the icc printer targets are made using epson inks. I rarely use the canned icc profiles as I have found generating your own custom icc profiles is better and more accurate. Differences can be minimal or slight, but they are definitely there.

I don't think 3p ink icc profiles are readily available----so an additional investment might include the ability to generate your own icc profiles.

Overall, it just seems like a lot of extra work and consideration. I only Epson inks in my 9800 and 4800.

Jan 01, 2012 at 11:38 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Thinking about inkjetmall ink for my 3880

most of the 3p ink manufacturers will generate a profile for you at no charge for whatever paper(s) you print on.

Jan 01, 2012 at 11:40 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Thinking about inkjetmall ink for my 3880

jzucker wrote:
most of the 3p ink manufacturers will generate a profile for you at no charge for whatever paper(s) you print on.

Well, print away and share your experince!

I'm probably going to upgrade my 9800 to a 9900. I thought about simply running both 44" printers in studio, or perhaps donating the 9800 to a local college/high school. But now thoughts of a dedicated B&W piezography printer enter my mind...

Jon Cone B&W piezography would be the only 3p inks I'd consider....

Jan 01, 2012 at 12:33 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.