Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Canon shooter considering Nikon and Canon for 2nd Body

Patrick Cox
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon shooter considering Nikon and Canon for 2nd Body

Currently the only DSLR body I have is a Canon 5D II. My main photography is landscape but I also like to do some shooting while traveling with family. The 5D is fantastic for my landscape photography and my landscape kit consists of a 17-40, 24-70 & 70-200. The problems that I have with the 5D for travel are that many times I would prefer a smaller camera, I miss the on-board flash and then the 24-70 is really too large and missing IS. So, I am considering a 2nd DSLR for travel or other times when I would prefer a setup that is just a bit smaller than the 5D.

The body that first comes to mind for me is the 60D with either a 17-55 IS or 15-85 IS. However, I have also been considering a Nikon body and lens but I know very little about them so I am not sure which to choose and then whether or not that would be more confusing to me than helpful. So, I am just looking for input from those who shoot FF and crop and then also if anyone shoots both Canon and Nikon. Thanks for your thoughts and recommendations.

Thanks!
Pat

Dec 29, 2011 at 07:37 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon shooter considering Nikon and Canon for 2nd Body

I have my full-frame 5D and then I also have my go-everywhere 20D in a LowePro TLZ-1 bag ("case", as some call them). I carry an extra lens with it, as below:

Get a second-hand 40D with a 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II lens. It is quite good except wide open. So get a 50 mm f/1.8. The camera has popup flash for when you need it. By getting something inexpensive and devoting a bag to it, it will always be ready to go and you won't worry about taking it to the beach or leaving it in a car trunk if necessary. You can carry the TLZ over a shoulder, looped over the other shoulder, or strapped to your waist, or with a belt threaded through it. I keep my smallest card in the case just in case I forget its main card at home after downloading photos.

Edited on Dec 29, 2011 at 08:05 PM · View previous versions

Dec 29, 2011 at 08:02 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon shooter considering Nikon and Canon for 2nd Body

I have the 5D2, 7D and 60D. While the 60D is a little smaller and lighter than the 5D2, it's not a significant difference when compared to the weight of the bag and lenses. Oddly, the 7D is a little heavier than the 5D2. I don't think I can tell the difference in bag weight between a 60D/17-55 2.8 and 5D2/24-105 L. If you really want to reduce size and weight but need a quality rig, I'd consider a GX-1, ELP-3 or Sony wondercam.

Another thought is to buy a small pocket flash--used 220EX or new 270EX2--and a lighter zoom like the 24-105L or 28-135 IS and stick with your 5D2. After messing with various combos for travel, I found the 5D2, 24-105L and 220EX barely heavier and bulkier than my 7D/17-55 or 60D/17-55, so I usually take the 5D2.

Edited on Dec 29, 2011 at 08:06 PM · View previous versions

Dec 29, 2011 at 08:03 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon shooter considering Nikon and Canon for 2nd Body

Pat, you might want to have a look at this new camera brought out by Nikon:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/9/21/nikonlaunch

Dec 29, 2011 at 08:05 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon shooter considering Nikon and Canon for 2nd Body

One advantage of a 60D or 7D with respect to the 5D Mark II is that they share battery type.

Dec 29, 2011 at 08:14 PM
TDiamond

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon shooter considering Nikon and Canon for 2nd Body

If I were set on getting a DSLR body and not a very good P&S, I would not go to another system. I might just get a nice walking around lens, like the 24-105 L. I use that as my normal lens and it's great.

Dec 29, 2011 at 08:17 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon shooter considering Nikon and Canon for 2nd Body

I have the same problem with the bulk and weight and I am (still) considering or looking at a couple of options:

1. Get a T2i with a 17-55/2.8 IS lens.

2. Get a Fuji X10.

Option 1 is rather expensive, so I am leaning more towards Option 2 ... but I am waiting for either the price to drop ... or for Canon to announce/release a mirrorless body, ala Nikon V1.

Edited on Dec 29, 2011 at 10:53 PM · View previous versions

Dec 29, 2011 at 08:26 PM
Chris Ventura
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon shooter considering Nikon and Canon for 2nd Body

No matter how small the camera is, the lenses you take are what make the difference when you start looking for a travel system. The nex system has promise, but currently lacking in the lens department unless you want to adapt other lenses..

The one system that I think gets VERY little mention for it's value as a travel camera is the Pentax, most specifically the K-5. Limited primes are quite nice.. very small.. you could pack a k-5, 21 Limited, 70 limited and and have a small camera that is very well sealed, with in body IS.. and not even bother with a camera bag. Any of the DA limiteds would fit in your pants pocket. And the K-5 has arguably one of the best APS-C sensors on the market.

Dec 29, 2011 at 08:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ShaneEngelking
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon shooter considering Nikon and Canon for 2nd Body

How about getting a Panasonic Lumix LX-5 for a travel camera? The 60D etc. will not make for a much smaller package.

Dec 29, 2011 at 08:29 PM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon shooter considering Nikon and Canon for 2nd Body

Dont complicate your system. Get a 270/220/230 EX flash and put in your travel bag.
24-105 + 5DII + a flash = pretty good decent travel kit.
Alternatively grab a rebel and use it with your 17-40 and you still have a pretty good setup.

Otherwise, get a G10/11/12 or smaller compact. Having 2 different DSLR systems for amature use is not going to make it easier

Dec 29, 2011 at 08:30 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon shooter considering Nikon and Canon for 2nd Body

I just got a canon s95.

I could have been tempted with a mtf camera or fuji x10 but for the extra cost and the limited use I thought it was too much.

Dec 29, 2011 at 08:34 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon shooter considering Nikon and Canon for 2nd Body

Oh alternativly use a 50mmf1.8 or 28-80 mk1 zoom on the 5d and it will seem easier to travel with!

Dec 29, 2011 at 08:34 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon shooter considering Nikon and Canon for 2nd Body

The Olympus E-P3 is worth a look too:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1067100

Dec 29, 2011 at 09:30 PM
Patrick Cox
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon shooter considering Nikon and Canon for 2nd Body

Thanks for the comments so far. Currently I am traveling with an S95 and while I like the manual controls and use them frequently, some of the controls are not as quick to access and the camera itself is not as responsive as I would like. Also, I do run into situations where I may like to make a big print and I worry that the small sensor on the s95 won't cut it. So this is why I am considering a DSLR, only more compact than the 5D. On adding a flash, I still like the idea of a built in flash as this is one less thing to worry about. This is also the reason that I would like one zoom lens rather than primes. What I really want is the best quality possible in a reasonably compact package. I am not so worried about compatibility with my current system. I will take a look at some of the posted links and check back later.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:23 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon shooter considering Nikon and Canon for 2nd Body

If your current camera was a Nikon I would urge you to get a Nikon for your second camera. Since your current camera is a Canon, I cannot think of a good reason to get a Nikon second body, especially if it will also be some sort of DSLR.

Frankly, the brand you choose makes little or no difference. Both Canon and Nikon (and others) make excellent equipment in the product ranges you are looking at. Since you already have Canon, there is at least some potential advantage in working with the interface you are used to (for example, Canon and Nikon lenses zoom rings work in opposite directions) and being able to share lenses among the two bodies.

Since you have a large and very high quality camera already and since you are mostly interested in getting something smaller and more portable for other uses... why not get something a lot smaller, such as a t3i? This is a fine little camera and it will produce image quality in the same class as the larger cropped sensor DSLRs.

Dan

Patrick Cox wrote:
Currently the only DSLR body I have is a Canon 5D II. My main photography is landscape but I also like to do some shooting while traveling with family. The 5D is fantastic for my landscape photography and my landscape kit consists of a 17-40, 24-70 & 70-200. The problems that I have with the 5D for travel are that many times I would prefer a smaller camera, I miss the on-board flash and then the 24-70 is really too large and missing IS. So, I am considering a 2nd DSLR for travel or other times when I would
...Show more

Dec 30, 2011 at 01:33 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon shooter considering Nikon and Canon for 2nd Body

I took a cruise this summer to Alaska with the 60D and 15-85 IS lens. Marvelous combo, especially the few times I needed the flash. Great images, including multi-shot panos that I stitched at home. I also brought a Zeiss Contax 50/1.4 and a G6, both of which I could have left at home.

If I have a major scenic trip again, I may take the large 1Ds2 with enormous 28-300L IS (maybe a flash too). Even being big and relatively heavy, I can carry it around fairly easily if I don't have extra lenses. But that is not as likely as taking the 60D/15-85 again, and my newer G10. Wife has a S95, so we are well covered!

Between a 60D and 15-85, and your S95, you have everything you need at a relatively cheap price. The T2i is very good too, and even smaller than the 60D (and cheaper).

Dec 30, 2011 at 01:52 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password