Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2011 · 5DMKII, RAW ??s

janmcn
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 5DMKII, RAW ??s

I got a 5DMKII for Christmas, and to practice I used only RAW settings for just the normal family photos I took so I could play with the photos more in Aperture (in preparation for a great trip we're going on).

The files are huge for what I need for family photos (which will at best get blown up to 8x10's.) What would be the best way for me to obtain the smaller files to upload to Smugmug, etc. for family members to download "usable files" from?

I plan to use RAW only for my travel photos so I can manipulate them more in PP, but not quite sure how to do basically "snapshot" photos without going overboard on size…i.e. larger file but at less JPG quality? Smaller file with greater JPG?

AND…is Aperture going to be my best way in the future of doing my RAW conversions? (I do have DPP but that seems to be more problematic with my files systems.)

I'm hoping you can get the idea of what I'm asking…I'm sure other amateurs lurking have the same problems.
Many thanks.

Dec 28, 2011 at 09:54 PM
mark fadely
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · 5DMKII, RAW ??s

I DPP is great and I use it to do all my RAW processing on 5DII. I only shoot RAW indoors though and would suggest just using jpg L for holiday shots. Many times if the shot is too far gone for jpg then RAW can't save it either, ie. blown highlights. Good luck and have fun learning your new awesome tool.

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:00 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · 5DMKII, RAW ??s

RAW all the time. Lightroom is used for selecting, storing and editing. Digital storage is cheap these days.

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:07 PM
sailingpilot
• •
p.1 #4 · 5DMKII, RAW ??s

I also use a 5DII with Aperture. Aperture does a fine job on the RAW files. DPP works, but I find the user interface less than ideal and it doesn't catalogue like Aperture does.

You can set the camera to shoot in JPG only for those times you don't need/want RAW, at whatever size you prefer. When you upload to SmugMug, you can use Aperture to export the size you want (File/Export/Version) - use one of the export presets, or make your own custom size export preset. Works like a charm. I convert my RAWs to JPGs, export to a folder on my desktop, then upload the JPG to Zenfolio from that folder.

Be aware that if you shoot in sRAW for a smaller RAW file, Aperture will not recognize the sRAW, where DPP will.

Gregg

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:14 PM
patrickphoto
• • •
p.1 #5 · 5DMKII, RAW ??s

yup, cards are cheap, hard drives are cheaper. Get used to it. sRAW is no way to go and degrades image quality. The JPEGS are all HUGE frankly too. Just get used to it.

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:24 PM
janmcn
• •
p.1 #6 · 5DMKII, RAW ??s

Not sure I made myself clear.
I know about RAW vs JPG, etc. but wanted to know just in this instance ( which was an experiment to learn what I can do…awesome!…with this camera.) I usually will shoot JPG for family unless I'm doing portraits, but my real love is landscapes and animals for which RAW is what I do (with the "old 50D" the files weren't this huge!) I am just wondering how to process these 600 or so shots of family so other members can download (from Smugmug) my best shots they want, but not overwhelm my uploading to Smugmug (or any other place.)…just so they can get an 8x10 or so photo print if they want…i.e. ~200 dpi x 10" = 2000 pixels wide pixels at #12 JPG going to be way overkill still…or can I go down to an #8 or so "quality" jpg? The quality of the "negative" on this camera is amazing! I was shooting in DARK and getting usable photos! (they were skating on an inside rink that had only Christmas lights…I wasn't prepared with a flash, so thought I'd try anyway…still got some shots!)

Dec 29, 2011 at 01:04 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · 5DMKII, RAW ??s

medium raw - does not degrade the image and is plenty of resolution for 8x10's

Dec 29, 2011 at 04:09 AM
artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #8 · 5DMKII, RAW ??s

janmcn wrote:
Not sure I made myself clear.
I know about RAW vs JPG, etc. but wanted to know just in this instance ( which was an experiment to learn what I can do…awesome!…with this camera.) I usually will shoot JPG for family unless I'm doing portraits, but my real love is landscapes and animals for which RAW is what I do (with the "old 50D" the files weren't this huge!) I am just wondering how to process these 600 or so shots of family so other members can download (from Smugmug) my best shots they want, but not overwhelm my uploading
...Show more

As suggested shoot mRAW if you want smaller files. As for the 600 images you need to process it sounds like you need to buy a program like LR where you can easily batch process and export whatever size you like.

Dec 29, 2011 at 04:20 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #9 · 5DMKII, RAW ??s

I would think that using RAW and then lightroom exporting to JPG at 92-93% quality with sharpening for a specific paper type and similar resolution to the original 5D (4368x2912) is more than enough for 8x10" photos.

Dec 29, 2011 at 04:29 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #10 · 5DMKII, RAW ??s

Use Lightroom. There are export modules to export a jpeg directly to Smugmug or flickr, and others. Just select the edited images you want, set the size you want to export, and its is very slick.

BTW, it is recommended that you use a max of 75% for export to Smugmug.

Dec 29, 2011 at 04:35 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Rick Schump
• • • •
p.1 #11 · 5DMKII, RAW ??s

I don't know the answer to your ?, but I think you confused people bringing up RAW. It sounds to me that you are asking at what size can you post images on the web that your family can then download and print to 8 X 10 at a reasonable quality. The dimensions / quality of the jpeg file is what you wanted correct? Rick

Dec 29, 2011 at 05:00 AM
patrickphoto
• • •
p.1 #12 · 5DMKII, RAW ??s

First off, Timbop, way wrong, the two versions of sRAW both have highlight clipping and color shift to a much higher level than the full raw. And the processing time for sRAW is the same as full RAW in computer. Also, you can't use DNG or other industry standard adjustments as the sRAW platform doesn't adhere to standard file type configurations.

As for what to upload to SmugMug, the OP answered their own question. 2400 across unless you crop. What is your concern with Smugmug, there are no bandwidth issues, and it has copyright, watermark, and display limitiation settings to protect your images.

Dec 29, 2011 at 06:44 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · 5DMKII, RAW ??s

Use Lightroom and export to JPEG (whatever size/quality you want). It's all in the PP workflow

Dec 29, 2011 at 08:02 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · 5DMKII, RAW ??s

janmcn wrote:
The files are huge for what I need for family photos (which will at best get blown up to 8x10's.) What would be the best way for me to obtain the smaller files to upload to Smugmug, etc. for family members to download "usable files" from?

I plan to use RAW only for my travel photos so I can manipulate them more in PP, but not quite sure how to do basically "snapshot" photos without going overboard on size…i.e. larger file but at less JPG quality? Smaller file with greater JPG?

AND…is Aperture going to be my best way in
...Show more

Ok here's how I look at it. As others have said memory is cheap theses days (and as long as you computer can handle the files without falling over ) my 2cents are.

1: you can always reduce the size of a file with ease but if you ever wanted to increase it (for large prints or high cropping) results won't be as nice.

2: If the images you take are just pure snaps then you could always convert and throw the raw files away to save space (not my recommendation).

3: I don't have a mac s know nothing about apature (and if apple still sell it at that low price on the app store it's probably the best priced software you will get) . I use LR3 and exporting to sites like smug mug are as simple as they come. Once it's linked to your smug account (or Flickr etc) you just add files to a set (or creat a new one at the same time) and then just publish. It will export at a size you have set (the lower versions of smug have limits on file size lower that the 5D2).
I presume aperture does much the same.

Enjoy the new camera

Dec 29, 2011 at 08:19 AM
mark petri
• • •
p.1 #15 · 5DMKII, RAW ??s

Great advice and I think folks have answered your Q a few times. It really doesn't take more than a few minutes experimenting with your workflow to figure out what YOU want to do tho. Try out the various settings with your uses and go from there....

Dec 29, 2011 at 02:15 PM
robscomputer
• •
p.1 #16 · 5DMKII, RAW ??s

Going back to the OP question, how to make smaller files when shooting RAW. I capture in RAW, even for simple "throw away" photos. When I export JPGs from these RAW files, I choose smaller sizes as needed. This way I always have the best resolution if I want to print later.

My favorite app is Adobe LightRoom3, but most photography apps allow resizing of the JPG images. For Windows there's also a handy image resizer, incase you already exported the images but want something quick and smaller.

http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

Dec 29, 2011 at 02:54 PM
dunderwood
• •
p.1 #17 · 5DMKII, RAW ??s

Lightroom 3 will convert your photos as necessary during the smugmug upload process (it has a built in plugin that integrates well with smugmug). Your family will be downloading JPGs, not RAWs.

Dec 29, 2011 at 03:05 PM
Rick Schump
• • • •
p.1 #18 · 5DMKII, RAW ??s

You guys are missing what the OP wants. The OP is looking for direction (size ), smallest size some one can post a jpeg on the net to be down loaded for printing 8X10 at a reasonable quality. If they need to post at highest jpeg quality, or medium, what pixel dimension. Rick

Dec 29, 2011 at 04:32 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · 5DMKII, RAW ??s

There are a bunch of things to think about here. You could set the camera to produce raw + jpg (corrected - I originally wrote "raw = jpg") versions of each shot. The jpg images will use your in-camera settings, so you might not have to do much post-processing in most cases. Yet you would still have the high-quality raw versions for those that might benefit from additional work.

Of course, these will likely be very large dimension jpgs! You may still want to use your post-processing software to at least downsize them before uploading.

]quote]AND…is Aperture going to be my best way
...Show more

Aperture is OK, though it is certainly no longer the main player that we once thought it might have become. DPP is also OK, but while some like it quite a bit, most people are not going to prefer it on any basis other than cost - i.e. "free!"

I suppose you could simply try the two of those first since you have them. If they get you where you need to go, then they could be fine.

On the other hand, this could be a good time to move to something more powerful, better designed, and more widely used. Unless your post processing needs are pretty sophisticated, Lightroom is pretty much the current state of the art. It is also adept at uploading your processed images to a variety of web destinations.

Dan

Edited on Dec 31, 2011 at 05:05 PM · View previous versions

Dec 30, 2011 at 01:51 AM
nml
• •
p.1 #20 · 5DMKII, RAW ??s

Lightroom is pretty much the current state of the art. It is also adept at uploading your processed images to a variety of web destinations.

I agree.... I'm a Mac (snob) fanboiy and pretty much love anything Apple, BUT... having tried several versions of Aperture, I still find LR3 to be much better for me. Personally, I shoot raw (medium size on 5D2, full tiff on 1D) and then convert and size as needed...

Of interest patrickphoto said...

First off, Timbop, way wrong, the two versions of sRAW both have highlight clipping and color shift to a much higher level than the full raw. And the processing time for sRAW is the same as full RAW in computer. Also, you can't use DNG or other industry standard adjustments as the sRAW platform doesn't adhere to standard file type configurations.

I didn't realize that mRAW had this disadvantage.... is there a link that shows this.... and if so, I may change my workflow to shoot ONLY full RAW and just deal with the storage size with even more external HDDs..

thanks

Mick

Dec 31, 2011 at 03:48 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password