Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2011 · I value your opinion on this ...

dortizphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · I value your opinion on this ...

Thanks Photon -- ironically, that's how I shoot (all center point). However, that doesn't mean I'm not open for ideas, experimenting and suggestions on ways and ideas to improve my skill set. I should point out this is the first time I pair this lens with a 1D body, as I traded my 5D2 for a 1D3 with a fellow FM family member and we're both very pleased with the product received. I for one, doubt I will ever go back to a XXD body after handling and shooting with a 1D class machine. I call my 1D3 my little Hummer H2 because that thing is built like a tank.

Pulling the 1D3 with my 24-70 f/2.8L lens is beastly and heavy, so I needed something not so heavy, but decent quality that I can shoot-shoot and shoot with. Besides, having a set focal length will force me to recompose myself, and think outside of the box when framing my subject (IMHO).

I'll post my results here, but I always welcome advice moving forward.

Cheers!
Dave

Dec 25, 2011 at 02:32 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · I value your opinion on this ...

If you're not in need of the faster f/stop of the 50 1.4, perhaps the 50 2.5CM would be fun.

I have one, and it's slow focusing, and noisy, but it's a fantastic lens with so many great qualities.

Dec 25, 2011 at 10:24 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · I value your opinion on this ...

I had an EF 50/2.5 Compact Macro for a few weeks...

Dec 25, 2011 at 10:58 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · I value your opinion on this ...

dortizphoto wrote:
Robert, thank you but it's already ordered.

All I need to accomplish now is justify the purchase to myself so I don't feel guilty.

Cheers,
Dave

It can serve several purposes, so allow me to help relieve some of that guilt.

Small "inconspicous" lens for just "wth" moments.
Fast prime for when situations are too dim for f/2.8 zooms.
Back up to the 24-70 partially, in case of damage, or need to send it to Canon.

Dec 25, 2011 at 10:59 PM
dortizphoto
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · I value your opinion on this ...

Good justification Robert. Now let's see how well I sleep tonight. Oh, and the wife doesn't know yet. I actually read in one of its reviews that some pros use this lens for portraits? I've never considered using it for that, but I will put it through various tests once it arrives. Besides, a 1.3 crop on the 1D3, that should put me at 65mm which shouldn't be that bad - I hope.

Cheers,
Dave

Dec 25, 2011 at 11:09 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · I value your opinion on this ...

dortizphoto wrote:
Good justification Robert. Now let's see how well I sleep tonight. Oh, and the wife doesn't know yet. I actually read in one of its reviews that some pros use this lens for portraits? I've never considered using it for that, but I will put it through various tests once it arrives. Besides, a 1.3 crop on the 1D3, that should put me at 65mm which shouldn't be that bad - I hope.

Cheers,
Dave

Absolutely.

Truthfully, I don't worry about the portrait this and that lens talk. I just use what I've got and if it works, it works lol.

ideally, longer if I have it with me, but sometimes, I've only got 24-70 or 50 with me.

Dec 25, 2011 at 11:14 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · I value your opinion on this ...

RobertLynn wrote:
... don't worry about the portrait this and that lens talk. I just use what I've got and if it works, it works.

+1

Dec 25, 2011 at 11:25 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · I value your opinion on this ...

dortizphoto wrote:
...I actually read in one of its reviews that some pros use this lens for portraits?

Sure.

I use it on a 1.6 crop body for available-light portraits, and it's pretty good for that. On a 1.3 crop or full frame it would be really good for full-length shots, and adequate for closer portraits when you don't want to pull out a bigger lens.

Dec 26, 2011 at 12:42 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · I value your opinion on this ...

A prime cannot exactly "replace" those other lenses, but you can still often make fine photographs with it, and sometimes there are alternate advantages that come from shooting in this different way with this single focal length lens.

I have a bunch of lenses and often carry many of them with me when I shoot. However, with some subjects I also do enjoy going out and shooting with just the 50mm prime on my FF camera body. I give up a certain kind of obvious flexibility and, to be honest, there are certain types of photographs that I simply will not be able to produce with this limited gear. On the other hand, I can work very quickly and intuitively since the number of decisions I have to make is reduced. Instead of asking "which lens would be best for this shot?" I have to answer a different questions: "how can I shoot this with the lens on my camera?"

The easiest answer to your question might be to simply get that 50mm lens - though a 35mm lens might well be a better choice with your bodies - and then leave the other lenses at home and go out with just the prime. See how you like it. Give it more than one chance. If you are like me, you might find that there are circumstances and subjects for which it can be a great alternative.

Dan

dortizphoto wrote:
Greetings everyone, and Happy Holidays!

I'm faced with a dilemma which I'm having a hard time coming to terms with. I'm certainly not for spending money unwarranted, but is this "really" one of those cases? That being said, here goes ....

I own a Canon 1D MK3 and 40D, and my focal range is simple ... two (2) lenses:

1. Canon 24-70 f/2.8L
2. Canon 70-200 f/2.8L

So there you have it - 24-200mm range between two lenses. My dilemma is I'm considering purchasing the Canon 50 f/1.4 prime. Not because I need a faster lens, or that range (you can see I have that
...Show more

Dec 26, 2011 at 01:29 PM
dortizphoto
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · I value your opinion on this ...

Hi Dan -- thanks for the advice and suggestions. I just received an email from B&H that the lens/hood has shipped. This will give me New Year weekend to practice and see what I can yield with that lens.

I like your way of thinking relative to what lens can I use for this shoot vs how can I make this shoot work with what I have at hand. I imagine the second option will force one to think outside the box which is exactly the stimulus I need.

Thanks again my friend,
Dave

Dec 26, 2011 at 03:46 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · I value your opinion on this ...

Jim -- Okay, out with it. . . What didn't you like about the 50/2.5 macro?

Dec 26, 2011 at 03:57 PM
Rick Schump
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · I value your opinion on this ...

To throw up something totally out of your post ( my apologies ). have you thought of ditching the 24 - 70. It is a beast, with no IS. It has great optics, fast - but a beast. I went to the 24 - 105 because of the weight alone, the F stop is some what compensated by the IS. The smaller foot print and ease of hand holding makes shooting more of a joy, and that is what this is suppose to be isn't it? Rent one and try one out if it fits your needs in shooting. Rick

Dec 26, 2011 at 10:22 PM
kumman

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · I value your opinion on this ...

Hello,

Before I read that you had already ordered the 50mm I would have recommended a 28 1.8 or a 35 f/2.

The 50 2.5 macro isn't any faster than your zooms, and for macro a cheap p&s or close up filter, or reversing the 50mm to use for macro in a pinch.

The 50 1.4 on your 40d will be a little too tight, and the light stops you gain are sometimes not enough for indoor without flash shots. I've never used a 1.3 body - should be around 65mm.

The 35 of the 40d would be around 50ish full frame, which is nice but still a little too tight at times. So a 28 1.8, or a 24 1.4 I.

Post pictures from the 50 you get though.

Dec 28, 2011 at 03:49 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · I value your opinion on this ...

Gunzorro wrote:
Jim -- Okay, out with it. . . What didn't you like about the 50/2.5 macro?

Hi Jim.

Well, I liked it fine. Great IQ. OTOH, it's value was higher to me as a sale, than as a lens. Seeing as I had to find some scratch to cover an unexpected 300/2.8L IS. Also, as recently stated on other current threads, I normally don't use 'protective' filters, but one sneeze with this puppy, and you're all into your subject... IOW, I prefer longer focal lengths for macro.

Cheers, Jim

Dec 28, 2011 at 03:59 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.