Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2011 · I value your opinion on this ...

dortizphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I value your opinion on this ...

Greetings everyone, and Happy Holidays!

I'm faced with a dilemma which I'm having a hard time coming to terms with. I'm certainly not for spending money unwarranted, but is this "really" one of those cases? That being said, here goes ....

I own a Canon 1D MK3 and 40D, and my focal range is simple ... two (2) lenses:

1. Canon 24-70 f/2.8L
2. Canon 70-200 f/2.8L

So there you have it - 24-200mm range between two lenses. My dilemma is I'm considering purchasing the Canon 50 f/1.4 prime. Not because I need a faster lens, or that range (you can see I have that focal range covered), but because it's SMALL and LIGHT.

I'm trying to force myself into shooting daily in an effort to sharpen my skills, but when I pull that 1D out with my "smaller" 24-70 lens it's just soooooo heavy and clumsy. Heck, the hood alone on that 24-70 is HUGE. I had the 50 f/1.4 prime and the 17-40 f/4L but sold them (here actually) to help fund my purchase of my 24-70, something I dearly regret.

However, what's done-is-done and that's history now. So moving forward, would anyone recommend re-buying the much smaller and LIGHTER Canon 50 f/1.4 prime for the reason mentioned above? I need something on this 1D beast I can pick-up and just shoot on a regular basis. As noted on the subject line, I value everyone's opinion and therefore am humbly asking for your advice in this regard.

In closing, can anyone recommend a really good filter for my lenses. I read somewhere that placing a $25.00 cheap piece of glass in front of a $1,500 lens nullifies its superior optics.

Thanks everyone (in advance) for your time in helping me reach a decision.

Cheers,
Dave

Edited on Dec 25, 2011 at 09:07 AM · View previous versions

Dec 25, 2011 at 08:30 AM
gatorwesty
• •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I value your opinion on this ...

I'm with ya on having that setup, so I picked up a cheap 50f1.8 metal mount for 118.00, and now I have a light combo on my mkIII to grab and go. I have the 24-105 and the 70-200 f4is for the rest so I am covered for my needs. I probably got a smoking deal on the fifty, but if you look around you can find one for less than 150.

Dec 25, 2011 at 08:42 AM
bushwacker
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I value your opinion on this ...

small & lite is your requirement?

The El cheapo Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - until now still WOWs me.

Dec 25, 2011 at 08:50 AM
dortizphoto
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I value your opinion on this ...

Thanks Gator. Someone who knows exactly what I mean. Heck, even for recent family snaps opening presents ... pulling that beast out with that 24-70 was taxing to say the least.

Dec 25, 2011 at 08:52 AM
dortizphoto
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I value your opinion on this ...

I was considering that one Bush, but I read the build quality isn't that great nor is the focus lock. I don't mind spending a tad more for the 1.4, but won't spend the money for the 1.2L.

Dec 25, 2011 at 08:54 AM
erosebud

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I value your opinion on this ...

Go right ahead with the 50mm 1.4, or the f/1.8, and save the cost of a really good filter by purchasing a lens hood instead, which offers arguably better protection and decreases flare rather than potentially increasing it.

(And--just so you know--it's a "dilemma.")

Dec 25, 2011 at 08:57 AM
dortizphoto
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I value your opinion on this ...

Thanks erosebud. I appreciate your advice. Oh, and spelling was never one of my attributes.

Pobodies nerfect. ;-)

Thanks again,
Dave

PS: Fixed the dilemma spelling on the original post. maybe that's why I wasn't getting many responses. They figure if I can't spell dilemma, I probably can't read a manual either. :-)

Dec 25, 2011 at 09:05 AM
gatorwesty
• •
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I value your opinion on this ...

Also have a g10 for those snapshot moments, might want to consider a good point and shoot for less than the price of a 1.4 lens, as another option.

Dec 25, 2011 at 09:16 AM
vilimo
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I value your opinion on this ...

+1 on small camera for quick snaps. I have g11 and the quality of pics from that camera is pretty outstanding.

Dec 25, 2011 at 09:25 AM
dortizphoto
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I value your opinion on this ...

I agree with the smaller camera for the snappys. However, as mentioned on my original post, I'm trying to get out more and shoot with my 1D every chance I get.

I'm trying to force myself into shooting daily in an effort to sharpen my skills, but when I pull that 1D out with my "smaller" 24-70 lens it's just soooooo heavy and clumsy. Heck, the hood alone on that 24-70 is HUGE.

Thanks again,
Dave

Edited on Dec 25, 2011 at 09:30 AM · View previous versions

Dec 25, 2011 at 09:27 AM
memorypixels
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I value your opinion on this ...

You mentioned you regretted selling your prime and 17-40, so I think this is a no-brainer for you... get that prime and shoot away! =)

Dec 25, 2011 at 09:29 AM
dortizphoto
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I value your opinion on this ...

Thanks memory. I may just bite the bullet and may wind up sleeping in the shed with my dog when the wife finds out, but it's all for a good cause I suppose.

Dave

Dec 25, 2011 at 09:32 AM
dortizphoto
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I value your opinion on this ...

The verdict is in ....

Just ordered the Canon 50 f/1.4 with the Canon ES-71 II Lens Hood from B&H. Should arrive by Friday the 30th via UPS ground.

Now .... let the guilt begin.

Thanks everyone,
Dave

Dec 25, 2011 at 09:37 AM
dortizphoto
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · I value your opinion on this ...

The verdict is in ....

Just ordered the Canon 50 f/1.4 with the Canon ES-71 II Lens Hood from B&H. Should arrive by Friday the 30th via UPS ground.

Now .... let the guilt begin.

Thanks everyone,
Dave

Dec 25, 2011 at 09:38 AM
Dave Jr
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · I value your opinion on this ...

Since I am for spending money unwarranted, I suggest you sell the 40d and get a 5d + the 50/1.4 prime. Use the light 5d for your people pics.

And if you don't like the 24-70, trade it back for the 17-40.

Dec 25, 2011 at 09:43 AM
dortizphoto
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · I value your opinion on this ...

Dave Jr wrote:
Since I am for spending money unwarranted, I suggest you sell the 40d and get a 5d + the 50/1.4 prime. Use the light 5d for your people pics.

And if you don't like the 24-70, trade it back for the 17-40.

It's a done deal Dave, the lens has just been purchased. Also, what you're suggesting (although appreciated) is nowhere near where I want to be.

Thanks anyway though.

Regards,
Dave

Dec 25, 2011 at 09:49 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · I value your opinion on this ...

Dave (OP) -- I think you'll be quite happy. If I had gotten in on the thread sooner, I'd have suggested the EF 50/2.5 macro, but except for better close-up, the EF 50/1.4 is an excellent optic. I get a lot of keepers putting the 50 on the 1D2. Even the 50/1.4 is pretty close focusing, so you'll have a range from close-up, to mild telephoto (65mm equiv.), to ultra wide if you try doing some panoramas (in portrait position) and stitching the images together.

Looking forward to your further reports and some photos.

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:16 PM
dortizphoto
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · I value your opinion on this ...

Thank you Gunzorro. I expect the glass will arrive Friday sometime, which will give me the New Year weekend to shoot a few samples and become accustomed to the lens.

If my memory serves me correctly, the DOF takes some getting use to. Of course I only got to use it on my 40D, so using it now with my 1D (x3 crop vs x6) should be an interesting match.

I'll post some images using that combo here.

Thanks agains my friend,
Dave

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:24 PM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · I value your opinion on this ...

if you miss it and can use it, then rebuy it,

in my opinion filters in general are bad and just a ploy for camera stores to make an extra buck.

Dec 25, 2011 at 01:06 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · I value your opinion on this ...

Good choice. Take a little time to do some AF MicroAdjusting on the 1D3, checking some outer AF points as well as the center. You may find you really enjoy doing some shooting at f/1.4-2.0 if you choose an appropriate point rather than doing center AF/recompose.

Dec 25, 2011 at 02:11 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.