Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · How to paint from duplicate layer, on to background copy?

Mast3rshake

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · How to paint from duplicate layer, on to background copy?

I pretty much suck at PS but I'm working on it. I've been Googling this problem for hours and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Right now, I have this image:

Work In Progress by Ebola Cereal, on Flickr

And I figured I could get more detail in the overexposed roof by using the Shadows/Highlights function:

But I can't figure out how to paint from the duplicate layer on to the background layer. I keep trying the black/white brushes with layer masks but I'm definitely messing up somewhere. Any ideas?

Dec 17, 2011 at 12:24 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #2 · How to paint from duplicate layer, on to background copy?

It looks like you are almost there. Here is what you need to do:

- Click on you shadow/highlights-adjusted layer in the layers palette to make it active.
- Hold down the Alt key and click the Add layer mask button in the layers palette. This will add a mask and immediately fill it with black so the shadow/highligh adjustment doesn't show.
- Select the brush tool with the color white.
- Click on the mask of the shadow/highlights-adjusted layer in the layers palette to make it active (otherwise you will paint onto the actual image).
- Paint white on the mask to reveal the shadow-highlight adjustments. You can adjust brush size, opacity, and edge hardness to suit using the brush controls.

Dec 17, 2011 at 01:19 PM
Mast3rshake

p.1 #3 · How to paint from duplicate layer, on to background copy?

Thanks a lot. I got the whites down to a more tolerable level

It figures I was just a few mouse clicks off of the right path

Dec 17, 2011 at 02:59 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password