Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2011 · POSITIVE OUTCOME FED EX issue!

Sharona
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · POSITIVE OUTCOME FED EX issue!

Hey all - I just posted this on the Misc. board but wanted to place it here because I know there are some buyers and sellers here. So.....

I just tracked a lens that I sold here on B&S - it's being shipped to Hawaii. However, tracking info tells me that it has been held in California, and is being "returned to shipper." When I talked to Fed Ex, they said that it was inspected and not "air shipping compatible" or something along those lines.

Has anyone experienced this before? The woman asked me if the package contained something hazardous and I said NO! It's a camera lens! These are air mailed all the time! I am fuming and now I had to PM my buyer. I sure hope Fed Ex will get this sorted. The location where the lens is located now is not open on Sat., and they say they will call me Monday. What a crock.

Thanks for letting me vent. Any insights always appreciated.

SEE LAST PAGE FOR UPDATE

Edited on Dec 15, 2011 at 05:01 PM · View previous versions

Dec 10, 2011 at 04:31 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · POSITIVE OUTCOME FED EX issue!

Just throwing an idea out there…did the box you used, have any printing on it from it's previous contents? Maybe a box marked as spray cans or something similarly troublesome to ship via air?

Omar

Dec 10, 2011 at 04:37 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #3 · POSITIVE OUTCOME FED EX issue!

It may have had some medical supply print on it.... But it was obviously repurposed, I don't know...

Dec 10, 2011 at 05:05 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #4 · POSITIVE OUTCOME FED EX issue!

Sharona wrote:
It may have had some medical supply print on it.... But it was obviously repurposed, I don't know...

It's possible that could be the issue…I ship alot of stuff in re-used boxes and I've had a few issues where the original printing has caused a problem. Now I ALWAYS block out any printing with one of those extra large Sharpie's. Keep us up to date with FedEx's answer.

Omar

Dec 10, 2011 at 05:10 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #5 · POSITIVE OUTCOME FED EX issue!

Thank you Omar. I most certainly will. They were instructed to hold on to the package, so I hope they do so, call me, and get it on its way. I just feel bad for my buyer. Not sure if anyone remembers but i actually posted about which way would be the best bet for overseas packages! A mixed bag, but I chose Fed Ex. Maybe not the next time!

Thanks for the idea above, and for the reply!
Sharon

Dec 10, 2011 at 05:14 PM
panos.v
• • • •
p.1 #6 · POSITIVE OUTCOME FED EX issue!

Look at this way, if you worked for FedEx and were presented with a "big bang Chinese firecrackers 100x" box that was "obviously repurposed" would you:
1. be allowed to open it to inspect it?
2. actually want to open it to inspect it?
3. accept responsibility for loading it on an airplane based on the sender's word that it is not 100 firecrackers?

Dec 10, 2011 at 06:49 PM
poodlelvr
• • •
p.1 #7 · POSITIVE OUTCOME FED EX issue!

I'll add that the box probably says ORMD on it or something similar. NO service will ship these for a private person--you might want to use a new box if this is the problem. And I bet it is ...

Dec 10, 2011 at 06:57 PM
davenfl
• • • •
p.1 #8 · POSITIVE OUTCOME FED EX issue!

And since 9/11 both FedEx and UPS have ready access to xray equipment and sniffer equipment which they use at their discretion for any suspect shipments. If the box is marked "do not xray" they will hold and return otherwise they can and do check the contents so frankly this is all a crock of crap. Love to hear the real story when they bother to tell you.

Dave

Dec 10, 2011 at 07:04 PM
Gary Lee 44
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · POSITIVE OUTCOME FED EX issue!

Worked for a shipping company, Not FedEx for many years. I must suggest that you never reuse a box for a shipment to be loaded on a airplane! A can of hairspray can bring a aircraft down if it is in a non-pressureized area of the airplane. There isa lot of thing can stop a parcel for air cargo, and all of them are GOOD!
Gary

Dec 10, 2011 at 07:10 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · POSITIVE OUTCOME FED EX issue!

I've had USPS refuse any box with writing for booze, paint, dye, etc., even when I blocked the labels out. Although any idiot understands you are reusing an old box they have regulations prohibiting shipment of these items without the hazardous materials permit. I suppose one guy in a million might try to ship a box of leather dye or WD40 and claim it's a camera lens...

In the 80s and 90s you could ship almost anything and nobody blinked but times have changed. I always use unmarked boxes now.

Dec 10, 2011 at 07:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · POSITIVE OUTCOME FED EX issue!

If the item is valuable then I buy new double-walled corrogated cartons for shipping. A few dollars more is worth reducing the risk of damage or other hassles.

EBH

Dec 10, 2011 at 07:26 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #12 · POSITIVE OUTCOME FED EX issue!

I thought everyone just reused B&H boxes. No?

Dec 10, 2011 at 07:50 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · POSITIVE OUTCOME FED EX issue!

GC5 wrote:
I thought everyone just reused B&H boxes. No?

Everyone does not buy at B&H. When I do their boxes are usually fairly damaged since the filler is usually the air bags.

EBH

Dec 10, 2011 at 07:59 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #14 · POSITIVE OUTCOME FED EX issue!

Thanks everyone. FWIW - The box I used was a very heavy brown cardboard box - and there was very little writing on it. The lens was VERY carefully packed with ample padding on all sides, the lens inside its original box it with its foam inserts, and the whole lens box double plastic bagged inside the outer box.

Anyway, if it was going to be an issue, why the hell didn't they warn us at the local Fed Ex office in the first place? If I had known, I would have gladly bought a Fed Ex box. And yes, I think they can certainly X-ray the thing if they don't trust.

Dec 10, 2011 at 07:59 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · POSITIVE OUTCOME FED EX issue!

Sharona wrote:
...if it was going to be an issue, why the hell didn't they warn us at the local Fed Ex office in the first place?

You're right. If that is the issue, they should have.

Sharona wrote:
...And yes, I think they can certainly X-ray the thing if they don't trust.

It wouldn't matter. If mismarking is the issue, they are prohibited by federal law from putting it on an aircraft, x-rayed or not. Putting it on hold and calling you is the best they can do.

Dec 10, 2011 at 08:14 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #16 · POSITIVE OUTCOME FED EX issue!

Right now, they are on high alert for any potential item that could be a problem. My incoming shipments from China were x-rayed, and now going thru a second inspection. It takes longer to get them here once the ship had arrived than it took to cross the pacific at 21 knots.

Dec 10, 2011 at 09:27 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #17 · POSITIVE OUTCOME FED EX issue!

I am sympathetic, but it was their job to let me know this at the local Fed Ex shop from where we shipped, don't you think? I reckon I could have done my homework, but having never shipped overseas, I didn't give it a second thought.

Dec 10, 2011 at 09:32 PM
Jim Victory
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · POSITIVE OUTCOME FED EX issue!

BrianO wrote:
You're right. If that is the issue, they should have.

It wouldn't matter. If mismarking is the issue, they are prohibited by federal law from putting it on an aircraft, x-rayed or not. Putting it on hold and calling you is the best they can do.

Brian is right If your going to ship something by air, especially over seas, you need to use an unmarked box. I have been shipping things all over the place and this has been a policy by most shippers for years now. FeEx always inspects any package I ship that is insured over $500. They open it up, examine the contents and packaging, and retape it. On some ocassions I have used brown tape to cover writing but only on ground shipments.

You have to be a smart shipper these days to avoid problems and delays.

Jim

Dec 10, 2011 at 09:35 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #19 · POSITIVE OUTCOME FED EX issue!

I've learned my lesson, I guess. This was insured for $600 and no one questioned the contents or the packaging. At any rate, thanks for the vent session, no need to kick a dead horse. I'll update when I hear from Fed Ex, in the interest of everyone else out there who hasn't shipped in awhile.

Dec 10, 2011 at 09:46 PM
bcguy
• •
p.1 #20 · POSITIVE OUTCOME FED EX issue!

I ship a lot with Fedex in my job, and I'd be willing to bet the problem lies with the shipper, not Fedex. Fedex does everything by the book, and if something looks funny they return it to the place of origin. The only time things have gone south on me is when I screwed it up. Maybe my experience is unique, but I'm impressed by their service.

Dec 11, 2011 at 03:25 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password