fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4              6       …       20       21       end
  

Archive 2009 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?

  
 
jcrawford
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


I have a question,

This appears to only happen when really trying to adjust contrast in a poorly shot picture.

what is the percentage of pictures that are metered this bad?

btw I have taken some awsome pictures at iso of 6400 that I would have never been able to use on my 20D..

I have shot a good deal of pictures with my 5dm2 and have yet to make that big of an adjustment to my curves... the only way I can make this banding is to make severe adjustments and frankly if I took that many bad pictures I would just go back to a point and shoot camera as this would not be a good hobby for me...

just my personal opionion and if this is not a problem on other cameras I can understand the frustration...

The point is this really does not affect me.

I hope canon can help out the people that see this as a real problem though or else canon may loose a few customers and some reputation over this.



Mar 12, 2009 at 08:46 AM
Jonathan Wong
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


Just had a spare minute to take a couple of shots. Not sure if they help so make of them how you will

Lightroom 2.3 no PP/standard position on slides except for exposure.

Thumbnail followed by 100% crops:



ISO100



ISO100 +1EV



ISO100 +2EV



ISO100 +3EV



ISO100 +4EV



Edited on Mar 12, 2009 at 10:16 AM · View previous versions



Mar 12, 2009 at 10:06 AM
Jonathan Wong
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #3 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


ISO200



ISO200 +1EV



ISO200 +2EV



ISO200 +3EV



ISO200 +4EV



Edited on Mar 12, 2009 at 10:12 AM · View previous versions



Mar 12, 2009 at 10:06 AM
brainiac
Offline
[X]
p.5 #4 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


jcrawford wrote:
what is the percentage of pictures that are metered this bad?


I'll try to explain this again.

Many types of shot contain a range of Exposure Values which exceed the dynamic range of the camera, even when camera/raw contrast is set to minimum. If the photographer is unable to take multiple bracketed exposures because subject is moving, or no tripod is available, then it is not possible to devote hours of your life to composing 'high-dynamic-range' blends on the computer. As a result the photographer is forced to do the best she can with the existing dynamic range of the camera.

When blown out, highlights can look ugly, but because many cameras have an ability to store good tonal image data deep into the shadows, it is possible with such cameras (e.g. 1Ds3) to make a fairly dark exposure which retains detail in strong highlights, and then use a curve in processing to raise the exposure of the shadows towards the middle where they belong according to the naked eye. The effect of this is to dramatically extend the effective dynamic range of the image, and it works very well on a 1Ds3, because the deep shadows have good tone and colour accuracy and very low and random noise which does not catch the eye or suggest structure. Noise reduction software can be used to clean up the shadows when this technique is used on a mk3. The result is fantastically tonal results which capture quite wide dynamic range.

Note that the technique I am describing here IS NOT DIFFERENT TO "EXPOSE TO THE RIGHT", because I am suggesting exposing such that the brightest areas of the scene extend to the far right of the histogram and not beyond. This technique IS 'expose to the right', NOT UNDEREXPOSURE. When small bright highlights are very much brighter than the rest of the image, and remain within the camera's exposure range, the majority of the picture can look very dark. That is why it is necessary to push the shadows - because the exposure is correct, but the shadows are much darker than you would like them, as dictated by the highlights. Using a curve which rises rapidly in the shadows and flattens in the highlight region the shadows can be dramatically lightened in processing while detail is preserved in the highlights. Here's an example of a shot of this type:
http://cyberphotographer.com/5d2/turnersreachb.jpg

This technique is difficult to use on my 5D2 because it has much more noiticeable and structured noise in the shadows at low iso and low contrast. Effectively my 5D2 has far less dynamic range than its sibling the 1Ds3, even though Canon stated that the 5D2 would have superior image quality.

Please understand that the advice "don't underexpose your pictures so much" is not helpful. The criss-cross patterns are stopping skilled post-processors from achieving the same dynamic range from the 5D2 that they can get from the mk3's.

The criss-cross gauze-like patterns arise in many situations and they are not exclusively the result of HTP or ALO.



Mar 12, 2009 at 10:08 AM
brainiac
Offline
[X]
p.5 #5 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


Jonathan Wong wrote:
Just had a spare minute to take a couple of shots. Not sure if they help so make of them how you will


Thanks Jonathan. Did you use a low contrast setting? Yours looks pretty good. I wouldn't be complaining if I got results like that.



Mar 12, 2009 at 10:18 AM
Jonathan Wong
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #6 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


Oh. I think they are standard settings in LR contrast 25. I can post again set to 0 or negative if you like.


Mar 12, 2009 at 10:23 AM
Daan B
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #7 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


Jonathan, are my eyes deceiving me... or does ISO200 look better than ISO100 when pushed (with regards to the criss cross pattern)?


Mar 12, 2009 at 10:34 AM
Jonathan Wong
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #8 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


Daan B wrote:
Jonathan, are my eyes deceiving me... or does ISO200 look better than ISO100 when pushed (with regards to the criss cross pattern)?


I just opened 2 windows and compared the +3EV. I am inclined to agree with you Daan. The banding is more pronounced on ISO100.

Perhaps I should do this again but a shadowed area with more details to pull to confirm.



Mar 12, 2009 at 10:43 AM
Daan B
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #9 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


Jonathan Wong wrote:
I just opened 2 windows and compared the +3EV. I am inclined to agree with you Daan. The banding is more pronounced on ISO100.

Perhaps I should do this again but a shadowed area with more details to pull to confirm.


If you please...



Mar 12, 2009 at 11:03 AM
Jonathan Wong
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #10 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


Will do this evening when I get home.

Cliffhanger if you will he he...



Mar 12, 2009 at 11:12 AM
skibum5
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #11 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


Daan B wrote:
Jonathan, are my eyes deceiving me... or does ISO200 look better than ISO100 when pushed (with regards to the criss cross pattern)?


https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/735873/20#6824627



Mar 12, 2009 at 12:58 PM
Will Patterson
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #12 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


Yea I'm going to do some shots when I get home, too. I want to see how mine compares to the rest of the shots here.


Mar 12, 2009 at 12:59 PM
Daan B
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #13 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


skibum5 wrote:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/735873/20#6824627


Yeah I have read it...

Did you read FashionBoy's latest post in that thread? Canon Service replaced his whole 5D2 sensor assembly because of IQ issues.

I think we are looking at a hardware issue here (crooked sensors)... It would explain why some 5D2's are worse than others.



Mar 12, 2009 at 01:08 PM
thedigitalbean
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #14 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


If people are going to compare the results of their bodies, can I make a suggestion so that we can have a uniform basis for comparison.

Perhaps people should shoot a frame with no lens, the body cap on at ISO 100 for some predetermined shutter speed, say 1/50s or 1s or whatever folks agree upon, standard picture style. Then take the file, process in DPP boosting the exposure by 2 stops. Take the resulting image into Photoshop and auto adjust levels. You should get noise soup. The idea is not the amount of noise but the to see if there is structure in the noise. If everyone does the same thing, then we can get a more consistent idea of how many bodies (and serial number ranges) are affected and to what degree. Folks with 1Ds3s can do the same. Any takers or am I just out to lunch?



Mar 12, 2009 at 01:19 PM
Jonathan Wong
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #15 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


I think we have established the structure of the noise already. We just want to know how many stops it can be pushed before noise become too pronounced, whether there is a sample variation, and whether ISO200 or perhaps even ISO400 is more pushable than ISO100.

Edited on Mar 12, 2009 at 01:52 PM · View previous versions



Mar 12, 2009 at 01:50 PM
jcrawford
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #16 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


Excellent reply and my apologies to anyone who may be offended by my comments, I certainly do not mean to imply that this is user error...

I completly understand now the issue as I have used this technique before, in fact on my 20D I almost always shot 1 stop down just in case...

I also agree with a uniform test I certainly would like to see a sample of 5D2 bodies and would be happy to provide results from my system.



Mar 12, 2009 at 01:51 PM
skibum5
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #17 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


thedigitalbean wrote:
If people are going to compare the results of their bodies, can I make a suggestion so that we can have a uniform basis for comparison.

Perhaps people should shoot a frame with no lens, the body cap on at ISO 100 for some predetermined shutter speed, say 1/50s or 1s or whatever folks agree upon, standard picture style. Then take the file, process in DPP boosting the exposure by 2 stops. Take the resulting image into Photoshop and auto adjust levels. You should get noise soup. The idea is not the amount of noise but the to see if
...Show more →

makes sense

since currently it is hard to know whether some people are just pushing PP and shooting HDR with lower contrast settings or whether some bodies really are much worse than others for pattern noise



Mar 12, 2009 at 02:07 PM
Will Patterson
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #18 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


Ok here are my shots from today.

All processed in CS4 with all updates applied to date, all settings set to 0 including sharpening and noise reduction. Once converted, they were saved at "12" (100% quality) as jpeg's.

I'll post links of the two large photos because they're actual size, not downsized.

ISO 100, full size, no EC

Now here are the ISO 100 shots at +1, 2 and 3 from the original..

http://willp-photo.com/5DII/ISO100_1EV.jpg

http://willp-photo.com/5DII/ISO100_2EV.jpg

http://willp-photo.com/5DII/ISO100_3EV.jpg


Here is the ISO 200 original
And the rest at ISO 200...

http://willp-photo.com/5DII/ISO200_1EV.jpg

http://willp-photo.com/5DII/ISO200_2EV.jpg

http://willp-photo.com/5DII/ISO200_3EV.jpg


Seems awfully noisy to me, even at +0



Mar 12, 2009 at 06:51 PM
Jonathan Wong
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #19 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


OK I just took a couple of shots. Will have them up in 10 minutes or so. But must admit they are MUCH cleaner than what you got there. I am using LR 2.3.

Any preference in settings before I export them?

Edited on Mar 12, 2009 at 08:38 PM · View previous versions



Mar 12, 2009 at 06:59 PM
Will Patterson
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #20 · Are you seeing 5D2 Criss-Cross Pattern?


No not really, just make sure all the settings are at 0 and you aren't applying any noise reduction or sharpening.


Mar 12, 2009 at 07:12 PM
1       2       3       4              6       …       20       21       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4              6       …       20       21       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account