New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2009 · Book printing

sskoutas
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Book printing

Who do you all use / recommend for book printing? I'm talking 1 book at a time here, not larger runs.

Jan 08, 2009 at 03:37 PM
Greg Feldman
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Book printing

Do you mean coffee-table books? Depends on the client and price range. For truly high-end, Asuka. For pretty much everything else, Pikto. Pikto uses the same prepackaged layout software that MPIX uses for their press books, but Pikto's quality and options are much better.

Jan 08, 2009 at 03:41 PM
sskoutas
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Book printing

I do mean coffee table books, and thank you. I will check out both services.

Jan 08, 2009 at 03:43 PM
Greg Feldman
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Book printing

No problem. If I were a better graphic designer and could lay out my own pages from scratch, I would use WHCC for the lower-end stuff. But I can't, and for the prices I can charge for basic books, I need a system with page templates and the like so I can do it myself, quickly. The one from Pikto is not bad.

Jan 08, 2009 at 03:54 PM
sskoutas
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Book printing

Let's clarify that first offering for others that may look for the link - http://www.asukabook.com/

Jan 08, 2009 at 03:55 PM
sstovall

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Book printing

For easy and good (per others) you may try the Apple books in iPhoto. Hardbacks (8.5x11) at under $40 for 25-30 pages.

Jan 08, 2009 at 07:00 PM
sskoutas
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Book printing

Is Lightroom's File>Export with Preset...>Burn Full-Sized JPGs an acceptable method of preparing the images for these book services?

Jan 08, 2009 at 08:51 PM
tomrock
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Book printing

sskoutas wrote:
Is Lightroom's File>Export with Preset...>Burn Full-Sized JPGs an acceptable method of preparing the images for these book services?

It is, but you probably wouldn't even need full size. Depends on the book layout, of course.

Jan 09, 2009 at 04:52 PM
sskoutas
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Book printing

I'm going to make one book thru iPhoto and another through pikto.ca. I will let you know my opinions on how they compare.

Have any SmugMuggers out there tried the MyCanvas photo book service? I've also had MyPublisher.com recommended to me. Anybody have opinions on that company?

Jan 09, 2009 at 04:56 PM
sskoutas
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Book printing

Thank you for your answer Tomrock

Jan 09, 2009 at 04:57 PM
Chuck Kuhn
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Book printing

I've had 4 books under MyPublisher and 1 book under Blurb.com
MYPublisher sells thru Costco on line. They ran a Xmas special of 20% off. After ordering they emailed me directly and offered 2 for the price of one. Depending on the size and cover, this is a great deal. The Blurb.com has better pricing approx 40 pages of largest book Blurb allows you to sell your books on line. You pick the price after your cost. They have over 2000 books on line. They also have more options for designs, colors, templates, really neat stuff. Always pick the highest grade of paper.
MyPublisher is awesome quality and a bit larger landscape book.
I just got back from the Mac Show in SF, I have at least 4 other companies, that sell books. Budget wise, Blurb is the best.

Jan 10, 2009 at 12:49 AM
Numpty
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Book printing

Having looked around I found Blurb the best for me in the UK - especially their hardbacks with the loose cover - excellent value.

Jan 10, 2009 at 06:17 AM
ifocus

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Book printing

I found Blurb being the best Quality/Price trade-off. Service is really good. I used Pikto despite quality was good, price was too high. Of course, if price is no object, I heard good thing about Asuka book.

Jan 10, 2009 at 08:13 AM
jennijohnt

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Book printing

All of the above-mentioned companies do a good job, but none of them provide the thick, flat, matte page books. Anyone know where to have those done? They are hinged pages, a bit like a child's board book and they look MUCH better...just dont' know where to find them?

jen

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:24 PM
sarahatshades

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Book printing

Hi Jen,

Try White Glove Books at http://www.wgbooks.com
There is even an option for Photographers to print their own pages.

Sarah at Shades of Paper

Jan 11, 2009 at 08:27 PM
jennijohnt

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Book printing

Thanks! I sent them an email for more info.

Jan 11, 2009 at 10:29 PM
redsoxdesign
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Book printing

I have had a few done thru Blurb and they are great.....one arrived with a slight crease in the dust cover, they promptly reprinted the whole book and cover again, and sent it express to Australia for no charge, and let me keep the first copy!
You can't beat that!
cheers Andrew

Jan 12, 2009 at 03:57 AM
HenkvdT
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Book printing

I've done some books through blurb as well. Mostly went well. However you might encounter a few limitations with regard to the printers they use.

Jan 12, 2009 at 05:19 AM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Book printing

Looks like MyPublisher is Windows only.

Jan 13, 2009 at 04:25 PM
photo1a
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Book printing

I have used MyPublisher for three sets of albums and two different sets of calendars. I am very happy with what I have. I had the albums printed on a buy-one get-one-free deal. MyPublisher has page templates and it is easy to learn. On a couple of occasions when I had technical questions about sizing photos, I got very quick replies. I used Picaboo on an earlier occasion. MyPublisher is much nicer.

Jan 14, 2009 at 10:47 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.