fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       1246              1248       …       1256       1257       end
  

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

  
 
Danpbphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1247 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


JWilsonphoto wrote:
I feel so Blessed to do what I do for a living every day. I guess it's a sure sign that you are hooked when you fly a thousand miles, shoot all day and you're still taking pictures all the way back.

Phenominal!!
I felt the same way about my job!
I enjoyed going to work! Didn't like "the hours" or the travel, but very much enjoyed "the job".
Dan




Jul 16, 2026 at 10:44 AM
JWilsonphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1247 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


I just put together a 30 minute video, captured entirely with the Osmo Pocket 3. I previewed it on a Sony 72" Bravia and it blew everyone away (including the cinematographer). Sure, there are compromises when compared to my Canon C400, but when it's right, the Osmo is tough to beat. The Osmo 4 can shoot in D-Log which gives it 17 stops of dynamic range. Shooting in Log requires more time in post, but there are benefits. I shot the 3 on our Polar Expedition, just kept it in a pocket in my flight suit and grabbed it when it was appropriate.


Jul 16, 2026 at 07:04 PM
Danpbphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1247 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


JWilsonphoto wrote:
I just put together a 30 minute video, captured entirely with the Osmo Pocket 3. I previewed it on a Sony 72" Bravia .....I shot the 3 on our Polar Expedition,


Jim, did I miss your Polar images? Or is that treat "yet to come".

Love capitalism! Love Sony tv's also..still have a 27" Sony crt that I watch every night in bed and my Sony Artisan video monitor calibrator!!!

Well done Jim!!

Oh...you men that are(were) military pilots and air crews..there was a wonderful special on the Military History channel of the military's top CAS aircraft..

Dan




Jul 17, 2026 at 11:03 AM
JWilsonphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1247 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


Hi Dan,

I think I posted a few of them, but here are some key ones. Wish we could post video here without having to link to another site.






























































Jul 17, 2026 at 11:40 AM
JWilsonphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1247 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


Part Deux,






























































Jul 17, 2026 at 12:02 PM
JWilsonphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1247 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


That last shot was the cherry on top of the trip, James flew with us from Perot Field back to DAL. Pretty tough to choose the highlights, the entire trip was a highlight.


Jul 17, 2026 at 12:06 PM
JWilsonphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1247 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


I wrote an article on the adventure, from the expedition photographer's perspective, for "AIRSPEED", it should be coming out soon.


Jul 17, 2026 at 12:09 PM
JWilsonphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1247 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


I can't remember if I posted this article here:









Jul 17, 2026 at 12:34 PM
Douglas L
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1247 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


JWilsonphoto wrote:
Part Deux,


What an adventure, Jim! You spoiled that kid too early. Lol



Jul 17, 2026 at 02:22 PM
JWilsonphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1247 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


Like Chandler, James has had some pretty neat experiences. Let's see where those opportunities take them later in life.


Jul 17, 2026 at 03:15 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

JWilsonphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1247 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


Douglas, I have a video clip you would enjoy. Ross and three of our team had to get off at Perot Field and we were light on fuel. The video is of James as we did a max performance take off and headed for Love Field. The sheer joy on his face as the G650 aimed for the sky and bolted off the runway and climbed out warmed my heart. He still talks about that ride, and the fact that "Mr. Perot offered him a job at the airport" I have a feeling that won't be his last Gulfstream ride.as we flew back.


He took this shot of me as we flew back to Love. The powers that be underestimated the size of my flight suit by a bit, but it got me by. I'm going to hang it next to Glenn's at my office. Coincidentally, my new flight suit arrived today and is at the tailor getting a tweak here and there so it will be ready for our next adventure.







Jul 17, 2026 at 08:35 PM
Ttown Aubie
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1247 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


What a terrific adventure Jim! Thanks for sharing it with us!


Jul 18, 2026 at 10:10 AM
JWilsonphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1247 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


Thanks for enjoying it with me Joe. Great group of people, I was honored that they chose me to accompany them on the trip.


Jul 18, 2026 at 10:44 AM
Ray Swindle
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1247 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


Such a great adventure Jim. Thanks for letting us virtually tag along.



Jul 18, 2026 at 11:13 AM
Danpbphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1247 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


JWilsonphoto wrote:
Part Deux,

Jim these are ALL fantastic brother! Just no adjective, verb, noun to describe these magnificient images!

I had missed any/all images from Anarctica posted....

JIII looks right at home in a plane or photo op.

I really admire the camaraderie shown among your images Jim. This has become an exception more than a rule in many instances.

Thanks for posting!
Dan






Jul 18, 2026 at 12:04 PM
JWilsonphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1247 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


Thanks Guys, glad you enjoyed the trip.We set three world speed records for the G650 ER in the process, much of our trip was at FL410 at .925 Mach, we were Bookin' . Love to Dulles took us 1:52, Dulles to Bodo Norway was 7:20, Bodo to The North Pole and on to Perot Field was 9:26. The team bonded from the get go, it was a fun trip.


Jul 18, 2026 at 03:56 PM
gerov
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1247 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


Jim, when did you become a nordic fuselage walker?? My enquiring mind is dying to know how that tail forward shot was taken as I don't think GoPro suction cups are rated for -52 @ whatever speed you were cruising at

Gero



Jul 18, 2026 at 04:06 PM
JWilsonphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1247 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


Hi Gero,

This was my first trip to Norway. Jan Arie told me that Bodo was a nice town and he was right on. The weather was perfect, still snow on the mountains, it was beautiful. We had planned to bring a second G650ER with Chandler on board to get air to air shots of us along the way, but the other Gulfstream was needed somewhere else so we scrubbed that (Chandler was bummed, as was I).

The crew flew me to Dulles on Wednesday and no one else was aboard so I had a couple of hours to roam the fuselage and get prepared for documenting this trip. While not equivalent to the air to air images that we had hoped for, I discovered that the vertical stabilizer "Airshow" camera provided a pretty cool perspective. The quality is 720p so it's not anywhere near the quality of the rest of my captures, but "any port in a storm" as they say. The images are usable with some tweaking in Photoshop and a few other tricks.

My use of the tail camera peaked my client's interest and now we are talking with Gulfstream about engineering a 4K camera in the two G800's that are coming down the line for delivery in 2028. We will be taking those to Antarctica in November of 2028 to replicate Admiral Byrd's first expedition to that spot in 1928. The plan is to land on the ice runway on that trip. We will stage out of New Zealand. I had given up ever seeing the South Pole because there is no way I'd sail Drake's Passage, three days belted into my bunk............nothing is worth that.

This is a pretty cool shot of us rolling on to final for Perot Field Saturday morning. We left Bodo at 7 something that morning and touched down in Fort Worth at a little after 10 the same morning................tough to wrap my head around that. One of the coolest parts of the trip was the fact that we were directly over 90 Degrees North at 9:02 am, the same time Admiral Byrd recorded his crossing a century before.













Edited on Jul 19, 2026 at 01:06 PM · View previous versions



Jul 18, 2026 at 05:12 PM
JWilsonphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1247 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


"Wolf's Fang" Runway, Antarctica...............I'm pumped!!







Jul 18, 2026 at 05:55 PM
gerov
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1247 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


Many thanks for this thorough response, Jim. Given how small 4K cameras, like a GoPro have become, it's surprising that this was 720p. Although I have to admit, it gave it a bit of a (not Hasselblad) film quality to it. Look forward to your next trip and a few shots with some penguins


Jul 19, 2026 at 06:24 PM
1       2       3       …       1246              1248       …       1256       1257       end






FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       1246              1248       …       1256       1257       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account