p.4 #1 · Why would you choose Nikon over the other brands?
I was a Canon shooter for 15 years but chose the Nikon Z system when going mirrorless because you can adapt almost anything to Nikon Z (and that included my old EF mount lenses which I was using exclusively for 3.5 years before trading most of them in this past summer). Now, I have a mixture of Z, EF and even (the horror!) Sony E mount lenses on the Z9. (see my profile)
Another reason was that when I was cross-shopping systems 4 years ago, the Z9 cost the same as Canon R3, or less, while being double the resolution. Sure I don't need the full 46MP for day to day shooting but the idea of getting less for more $$$ was not appealing to me (I'm not diggin' Leica either, lol), so that sealed the deal for me. It would have even if the stupid closed Canon RF system hadn't done so already. The Sony E system was out of question because I wanted a camera with an integrated vertical grip. It's an old fetish of mine, lol. So in a sense it was a funnel with only one way out, and there I went.
p.4 #2 · Why would you choose Nikon over the other brands?
Because the stuff just works. I ran into some build quality issues on Sony I have never experienced with Nikon and Fuji for example. Sony's hotshoe is terrible if you do a lot of strobe work for example. Also never had an AF joystick fall off a vertical grip when it was in the camera bag of other brands. Been working the Z mount stuff for over 4 years and it just keeps on ticking. I have to send my Z9 into Nikon basically yearly to get the rubbers replaced because they always peel, but that's my only real complaint with it. Every time I come back from an event with the stuff it delivers no questions asked. Coming back from an event where I shot the stuff today actually and I enjoy the color output SOOC, never really said that about Sony. My experience with Sony is outdated now since the last camera I used was the RIV, but it was basically the camera that made my decision a no brainer since Sony barely supported that camera and I still found the AF improvements to just be overrated, hated the noise from it too, was just kind of done with it when I shot it with a 200-600, hated it, went to a D4 with a 500PF the next week and just enjoyed shooting it more. That's basically how I left Sony. Their cameras are not fun for me to use.
p.4 #3 · Why would you choose Nikon over the other brands?
Okay, the Nikon Z9 does have a mechanical issue I've never encountered with any other cameras... the rubber grips are getting deformed and/or peeling off one after another. Replacing them is annoying and $$$. FWIW I'll have to do this again very soon. But that's probably a minor counterweight to all the positive aspects.
p.4 #4 · Why would you choose Nikon over the other brands?
IlyaSnopchenko wrote:
Okay, the Nikon Z9 does have a mechanical issue I've never encountered with any other cameras... the rubber grips are getting deformed and/or peeling off one after another. Replacing them is annoying and $$$. FWIW I'll have to do this again very soon. But that's probably a minor counterweight to all the positive aspects.
That's a very common issue for all Nikon bodies that are used frequently. Consider it proof that you're getting your money's worth out of the body
p.4 #5 · Why would you choose Nikon over the other brands?
I got into Nikon long before Sony ever made a camera and my local camera shop only sold Nikon. I still shoot dSLRs (D850, D500, D750) with several f mount lenses and Nikon compatible flashes. I'm very comfortable with my gear and have no plans to change.
p.4 #6 · Why would you choose Nikon over the other brands?
I don't think I replied to this earlier. If I did, just ignore this note.
I got into Nikon because maybe 55 years ago a friend recommended a Nikkormat when I was looking for a new camera. It didn't hurt that Nikon had a reputation back then as being top notch.
p.4 #7 · Why would you choose Nikon over the other brands?
Nikon bodies have the best ergonomics bar none. Beyond that for me is the fact I chose Nikon 50 years ago and never had an issue with any film or digital body. The other brands just didn't have any and I mean that, compelling reason to switch for my professional work with 35mm/FX.