fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4              end
  

The Steve McCurry Look

  
 
ByChrisJones
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · The Steve McCurry Look


LBJ2 wrote:
I've experimented plenty of times with the Leica Lux app. For me it's interesting how much the app has evolved since first released. Just out of curiosity what are the Leica Lux app features that motivate you to use it instead of the standard camera service on your smartphone?

FWIW, I think Leica still offers a free lifetime subscription to the Lux app if you purchase their Leica LUX Grip bundle. Not sure if that deal is still on, but might be worth checking out.

Edit: Opps, looks like that offer may have ended already.


I like the ability to quickly change my file format between raw/jpg, the exposure comp is quicker/more intuitive. I do like the Leica looks and how quickly you can switch them, plus the ability to simulate various Leica lens and aperture values. I have an iphone so the default camera app for me is much slower as you have to get into the menus to change things like filter/image format.




Sep 30, 2026 at 11:30 AM
LBJ2
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · The Steve McCurry Look


ByChrisJones wrote:
I like the ability to quickly change my file format between raw/jpg, the exposure comp is quicker/more intuitive. I do like the Leica looks and how quickly you can switch them, plus the ability to simulate various Leica lens and aperture values. I have an iphone so the default camera app for me is much slower as you have to get into the menus to change things like filter/image format.


I've had a lot of fun experimenting with the app on my iPhone. To include photographing dancing performers with the app's APO Telyt 135mm wide open. Living on the edge .



Sep 30, 2026 at 11:34 AM
ByChrisJones
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #3 · The Steve McCurry Look


LBJ2 wrote:
I've had a lot of fun experimenting with the app on my iPhone. To include photographing dancing performers with the app's APO Telyt 135mm wide open. Living on the edge .


The combo of everything together is what really gets me, for quick snap shots I use the free version (only allows for 28 lux and aperture priority) but for times where I want to go crazy but can't bring a camera (typically just for concerts) I'll pay the 7 bucks for a month subscription. Though I went to a bruno mars concert this past sunday and had no signal so it gives you 36 images with full access then switched to free only so I basically shot a roll of film between the 35 and 50 lux lol



Edited on Sep 30, 2026 at 02:20 PM · View previous versions



Sep 30, 2026 at 12:45 PM
Orsonneke
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #4 · The Steve McCurry Look


To be honest , being mostly a raw shooter , I really like the Leica looks : at least they are not so overcooked as the Fujifilm and Nikon imaging recipes on the Zf and Z6iii.
To be honest , just for fun , I like to use them , Greg Williams look is nice as well.
Nothing wrong with them.



Sep 30, 2026 at 02:00 PM
LBJ2
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #5 · The Steve McCurry Look


ByChrisJones wrote:
The combo of everything together is what really gets me, for quick snap shots I use the free version (only allows for 28 lux and aperture priority) but for times where I want to go crazy but can't bring a camera (typically just for concerts) I'll pay the 7 bucks for a month subscription. Though I went to a bruno mars concert this past sunday and had no signal so it gives you 36 images with full access then switched to free only so I basically shot a roll of film between the 35 and 50 lux lol



...a roll of film for less than $7. Something I had not considered 😎



Sep 30, 2026 at 03:08 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

davidsee
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #6 · The Steve McCurry Look


Well my comment, was not too complain, but to remind everyone he made a joke out of himself, and his legacy.


Sep 30, 2026 at 03:19 PM
Tarekith
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #7 · The Steve McCurry Look


"Just out of curiosity what are the Leica Lux app features that motivate you to use it instead of the standard camera service on your smartphone?"

I really like the High Contrast B&W look on my Q3 43 since I do mainly B&W photos, so I have the Lux app set to that and mapped to the iPhone 18 Pro action button. That way I can press the camera control button to open the main camera iPhone app for color stuff, or press the action button to open the Leica app for B&W stuff. Much faster than switching the color profile in the main camera app.



Sep 30, 2026 at 03:31 PM
Tarekith
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #8 · The Steve McCurry Look


ByChrisJones wrote:
I have an iphone so the default camera app for me is much slower as you have to get into the menus to change things like filter/image format.


The new Pro Controls on the 18 Pro are SOOO nice for this FWIW.




Sep 30, 2026 at 03:33 PM
LBJ2
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #9 · The Steve McCurry Look


Tarekith wrote:
"Just out of curiosity what are the Leica Lux app features that motivate you to use it instead of the standard camera service on your smartphone?"

I really like the High Contrast B&W look on my Q3 43 since I do mainly B&W photos, so I have the Lux app set to that and mapped to the iPhone 18 Pro action button. That way I can press the camera control button to open the main camera iPhone app for color stuff, or press the action button to open the Leica app for B&W stuff. Much faster than switching the color profile
...Show more →

Interesting. Good idea. I think I may be able to set up something similar on my iPhone 16 Pro Max. I never knew the action button was customizable. And there it is:

Settings > Action Button > Controls > Launch Lux



Sep 30, 2026 at 03:48 PM
1       2       3       4              end






FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4              end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account