fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       8              10       …       13       14       end
  

Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week

  
 
CTMRIGuy
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #1 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


ilkka_nissila wrote:
It has the same LCD resolution as the Sony A7 c II which costs about 50% more than the Z5IIc. So the LCD is perhaps very Sony 2023, but the camera is cheaper to reflect the lack of EVF.

Anyway, the Nikon store price for the Z5II is currently 50€ higher than the Z5IIC as the Z5II is under 300€ rebate (normal prices 1999€ and 1649€), and I would expect street prices to reflect this difference once the product is actually available for purchase. So when there is no rebate campaign going on, the Z5IIc should be about 300-350€ cheaper, depending
...Show more →

The more appropriate comparison may be to the first-gen A7C - which is smaller, lighter, and has an EVF.

I don't know what Nikon was thinking with this. Even if one says that this is aimed at amateurs, they really do not have the lens lineup to play in that space very well with a camera of this size.

It is a very disappointing release and has a whiff of late-stage OM-systems laziness about it.



Sep 24, 2026 at 07:49 AM
nhmorgan
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #2 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


Real head scratcher here. You make it screen only but then use a screen that's half the resolution of the Z5ii I wouldn't have a use for this even if it was $800. It's a frustrating time to be a Nikon photographer. People are trying to figure out ways to use a half-baked cinema camera as a stills camera because there is such a desire for Nikon to do something unique. They are quiet all year except a minor upgrade to the stale 70-200 2.8 format, and then this is what comes out in late September


Sep 24, 2026 at 08:00 AM
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #3 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


I'm glad to see that Fro spent 6 full minutes YELLING about the LCD in his review. Nikon fully deserves to be dunked on it.


Sep 24, 2026 at 08:03 AM
Jman13
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #4 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


So, when I first saw the rumors for this, I thought "that's actually cool." Then no EVF, which, bummer, but I get - it's basically a more capable full-frame Z30. Ok.

But then why lower the screen resolution? You've removed the EVF, forcing ALL composition through the screen....then make that worse.

It's utterly baffling. Otherwise, great camera at a great price, but man, that's just.....not a good decision.

Also - why the heck is the joystick gone? It's the same size body as the Z5 II, but with the EVF chopped off, yet they pull out the joystick? (Yes, I know the Z30 also doesn't have a joystick, but it's a smaller body and it's also $700 new or $400 used)

For me, if I want a really compact camera with interchangeable lenses, I'd rather carry the Z30 - it is much smaller and the lenses on the whole are smaller, so it often can fit into a small hip bag.



Sep 24, 2026 at 08:14 AM
patotts
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #5 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


RoamingScott wrote:
I'm glad to see that Fro spent 6 full minutes YELLING about the LCD in his review. Nikon fully deserves to be dunked on it.


He really went to town in that review






Sep 24, 2026 at 08:27 AM
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #6 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


Jman13 wrote:
For me, if I want a really compact camera with interchangeable lenses, I'd rather carry the Z30 - it is much smaller and the lenses on the whole are smaller, so it often can fit into a small hip bag.


I actually thought about this. It's just highly annoying that I couldn't use recipes on it and would instead have to use NX Studio after the fact.

So I'm kinda back to just wanting a Z30ii



Sep 24, 2026 at 08:28 AM
Jman13
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #7 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


I'm actually about to be down to the Z30 as my only remaining Nikon body. It's an excellent compact camera - pop the 16-50 or the 24/1.7 on it and it fits in my little hip bag - add some of the other tiny lenses and it's a wonderful little travel camera.


Sep 24, 2026 at 08:43 AM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #8 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


AdaptedLenses wrote:
I do see that now, someone else had reported 2.1 M dots but agree Nikon is reporting half that. Although Nikon is also saying, the weight is about 13% less than a Z5II 620 g versus 538 g.

Regardless, Nikon themselves claim that the C is for casual, this is the entry-level full frame now. That means it’s not gonna satisfy most of the users of this forum.


I find it difficult to believe that panel is less than 1024×768 (2.1 M dots), which is the XGA computer display standard from around 1990. More likely there was an error somewhere.

EBH



Sep 24, 2026 at 08:53 AM
Smiert Spionam
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #9 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


Ugh. It's objectively worse than a current Z5ii at around the same price, all to save a small viewfinder hump. It offers nothing new -- it only removes features, for the same price.






Sep 24, 2026 at 08:55 AM
selahsean
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #10 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


Yeah super disappointing camera will be skipping this one and looking to the next Sony A7 Casual release for a light/small MILC option.


Sep 24, 2026 at 08:56 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Jman13
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #11 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


EB-1 wrote:
I find it difficult to believe that panel is less than 1024×768 (2.1 M dots), which is the XGA computer display standard from around 1990. More likely there was an error somewhere.

EBH


There is not. This is the same screen they use on their APS-C bodies.



Sep 24, 2026 at 09:01 AM
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #12 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


"Just make a part bin camera, Nikon!"








Sep 24, 2026 at 09:06 AM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #13 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


Jman13 wrote:
There is not. This is the same screen they use on their APS-C bodies.


I was looking at the BH site where it is listed as 2.1M dot.
If true that's just crazy. No wonder that hairy guy is going off on it! I would not even spend the $1400 for that low-grade display (720x480). I bet we see those bodies for $1K later on.

EBH



Sep 24, 2026 at 09:08 AM
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #14 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


Jordan at PetaPixel also remarked that he couldn’t even tell if his pictures were in focus without punching in because of the crappy resolution.


Sep 24, 2026 at 09:20 AM
Dr_Fishy
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #15 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


I guess the C stands for casual instead of compact and I did not see that coming. Kind of bummed. Maybe we will get a compact z7ii with expeed 7 or 8 one day....one day....


Sep 24, 2026 at 09:21 AM
jpelt78
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #16 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


In Thom Hogans article about this camera he mentions the Z30II not appearing. He thought it is delayed due to the supply of remaining 20MP sensors being kept for the top selling Z50II. He thinks Nikon is coming up on a transition to a new higher MP DX sensor. Maybe if there is really is a Z70 coming that new sensor would then roll down to the delayed Z30II.

This Z5IIc camera is probably not meant for most of us here. What if they released the same camera with the Z7II sensor and a Z6III rear screen with dual SD slots? Call it a Z5IIx. It would be sort of a Z7III replacement that would not threaten the Z8/Z9.

RoamingScott wrote:
I actually thought about this. It's just highly annoying that I couldn't use recipes on it and would instead have to use NX Studio after the fact.

So I'm kinda back to just wanting a Z30ii



Edited on Sep 24, 2026 at 09:37 AM · View previous versions



Sep 24, 2026 at 09:28 AM
JadedWriter
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #17 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


I don't think anybody was asking for like...a full frame Fuji X-M5? Who was this made for?


Sep 24, 2026 at 09:36 AM
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #18 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


jpelt78 wrote:
In Thom Hogans article about this camera he mentions the Z30II not appearing. He thought it is delayed due to the supply of remaining 20MP sensors being kept for the top selling Z50II. He thinks Nikon is coming up on a transition to a new higher MP DX sensor. Maybe if there is really is a Z70 coming that new sensor would then roll down to the delayed Z30II.

This Z5IIc camera is probably not meant for most of us here. What if they released the same camera with the Z7II sensor and a Z6III rear screen with dual SD
...Show more →

I absolutely don't want a high res camera with no EVF. That's somehow losing the plot more than this.

I wonder if Nikon is kicking around the idea of using the 40mp APS-C sensor that Fuji is using for the Expeed 8 crop bodies. We've seen there's very little reason NOT to use it, it's a great sensor.



Sep 24, 2026 at 09:45 AM
KR Photo
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #19 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


This video seems to nail the intended use for this camera. I myself was hoping for a true A7C competitor, but I do get this use case:

?is=NPXEYMMC05kuG8tT



Sep 24, 2026 at 09:52 AM
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #20 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


KR Photo wrote:
This video seems to nail the intended use for this camera. I myself was hoping for a true A7C competitor, but I do get this use case:

?is=NPXEYMMC05kuG8tT


It looks absurd in her hands. The X100/XE5 are far more what this side of the market want and those are STILL kinda chunky.



Sep 24, 2026 at 10:04 AM
1       2       3       …       8              10       …       13       14       end






FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       8              10       …       13       14       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account