fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4              6       …       13       14       end
  

Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week

  
 
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


Isn't the chief complaint on the A7C line the low quality EVF? 2.6M with 0.59x mag is awfully middling and if it came between a ZR-speced LCD or a "normal" LCD and an A7C-equiv EVF, give me the LCD only every day.


Sep 21, 2026 at 10:32 AM
fjablo
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


RoamingScott wrote:
Isn't the chief complaint on the A7C line the low quality EVF? 2.6M with 0.59x mag is awfully middling and if it came between a ZR-speced LCD or a "normal" LCD and an A7C-equiv EVF, give me the LCD only every day.


There's always something to complain about But the A7C II raised that to 0.7x magnification.

Cameras this size use 0.39" panels which so far are only available with 2.36M dots resolution. If that ever changes, we'll probably see it in a Sony camera first. Magnification would likely stay lower too, because a smaller panel needs stronger eyepiece optics for the same image size.

Current Z-mount cameras use 0.5" panels with higher resolution and also making it easier to achieve higher magnification around 0.8x.

The Sony A1II and Fuji GFX 100II use an even bigger 0.64" EVF panel and that's how they achieve their 0.9x to 1.0x magnification and 9.44M dots. Same pixel density as the 0.5" panel in the Z6III with 5.76M dots btw.

If that tech was ported to smaller panels, we'd likely get a 0.4" panel with 3.69M dots and a 0.6x to 0.7x magnification EVF.




Sep 21, 2026 at 11:21 AM
Ripolini
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #3 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


If the Leica Visoflex 2 lives up to the expectations of Leica M11 owners, I’d bet that Nikon Z50IIC owners would also be more than satisfied with an optional electronic viewfinder with the same features mounted on their camera. Such an EVF would cost only a third as much simply because it doesn’t bear the Leica brand name


Sep 21, 2026 at 11:30 AM
pbraymond
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #4 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


For my personal use I'd like an EVF. As long as I can frame properly and make out AF confirmation, exposure info, and a histogram, I can tolerate a lower quality EVF if that is what it takes. Just much more stability with an EVF pressed to my eye than an arms out stance. I will admit that the latest rear screen do get bright enough to overcome daylight most of the time, and the articulation available makes getting rid of reflections easier too.

Of course, I'd love a Nikon 45MP in an A7C form factor; With my luck we'll either get a 24MP with EVF or a 45MP with no EVF, though the rumors are pointing to a 24MP with no EVF.

Either way, glad to see some Nikon MILC action.



Sep 21, 2026 at 11:58 AM
Ripolini
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #5 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


pbraymond wrote:
Either way, glad to see some Nikon MILC action.


It's better to do nothing than to do something stupid.



Sep 21, 2026 at 12:28 PM
RexGig0
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #6 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


KR Photo wrote:
As for 35, there’s the Sony-Zeiss 35mm f/2.8, which is pretty compact if you’re open to adapting.


This! I have been eyeballing this lens for YEARS, while being unwilling to adopt the Sony E-mount system, after moving away from Sony in 2010, when I needed DSLR for optimized, weather-sealed, Image-Stabilized close-range and macro field work, in ALL weather. (Forensic/Evidentiary.) The Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro I.S. had/has action-shooting-capable AF. My Nikon-shootin’ wife envied my Canon macro capability, while using her AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G. Sony had nothing like this, in 2010.

When I started paying close attention to Z-mount cameras, this summer, and became aware of positive reports regarding the Megadap adapter, this nicely-compact Carl Zeiss Sony 35/2.8 ZA immediately came to mind.

*Yes, Action Macro. A traumatized, trembling victim of domestic violence is quite active. I could not use a tripod inside the back of an ambulance, or inside a treatment room at a hospital emergency center, and, well, empathetic reactions to human suffering are not conducive to holding steady.



Sep 21, 2026 at 02:44 PM
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #7 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


Eh, I owned the Zeiss 35/2.8 twice. It's nothing special IMO, outside of its size.


Sep 21, 2026 at 02:59 PM
RexGig0
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #8 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


The resolution, brightness, and size of the ZR’s LCD won me over. Even under the harsh mid-day August sun, in southern Texas. EVF-Less-ness, it is! Notably, until Nikon releases an EVF for the ZR, I have a Leica 24mm Bright Line Viewfinder, and a Nikon viewfinder, sold to accessorize the Coolpix A, if I decide I need to shoot run-and-gun style without looking at an LCD.

Posts in this thread have mentioned the Coopix A and the Ricoh GR. I more-or-less loved the Coolpix A, in spite of its tiny size, and crippled implementation of manual focus and AF. The GR had worse ergonomics, for my personal, individual hands. (YMMV.) Enter the ZR, which a camera store employee put into my hands, in late July 2026. Voila! ZR, the GR/Coolpix A for adult hands.

My “gateway” to the ZR was the Z30, acquired in July 2026, before I handled a ZR. When it became apparent I would be needing VR lenses, to optimize video with the Z30, the ZR, with IBIS, suddenly made even more fiscal sense.

So, if this Z5 II C is a ZR’ed Z5, or a Z-Fived ZR, well, good!



Sep 21, 2026 at 03:06 PM
RexGig0
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #9 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


RoamingScott wrote:
Eh, I owned the Zeiss 35/2.8 twice. It's nothing special IMO, outside of its size.


Thanks. Your opinion is something I do value.



Sep 21, 2026 at 03:07 PM
OffTrail
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #10 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


RoamingScott wrote:
Eh, I owned the Zeiss 35/2.8 twice. It's nothing special IMO, outside of its size.


Have you used the E Tamron 35 f/2.8? Looks vaguely interesting, if not actually smaller or lighter than the 40 f/2. Not a ton of samples out there, but there seem to be some nice images in the Flickr group.



Sep 21, 2026 at 03:21 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #11 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


Nah. I have absolutely no interest in adapting Sony lenses to Nikon.


Sep 21, 2026 at 06:39 PM
selahsean
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #12 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


For a while I adapted the Sigma I series of lenses to the Zf and it was a bit underwhelming imo. I had always liked that series of lenses for something portable on the Sony and thought the 35/2 punched above it's weight but it definitely felt like it lost a bit when adapted. Fortunately there are more lightweight options for Z mount now (I like most of the Viltrox lenses) and I wouldn't recommend anyone go out and purchase an E mount lens for a Z camera. If you happen to own some already why not but it wasn't worth it in my experience.


Sep 21, 2026 at 07:26 PM
phinix
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #13 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


I bet its gonna be called Z5c. Cannot be Z5IIc, cause "II" was a symbol of second iteration of 5 series. Small version of 5 will be new one, so Z5c.


Sep 22, 2026 at 11:56 AM
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #14 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


ZNR (not RED)


Sep 22, 2026 at 12:01 PM
JustAHouseCat
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #15 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


phinix wrote:
I bet its gonna be called Z5c. Cannot be Z5IIc, cause "II" was a symbol of second iteration of 5 series. Small version of 5 will be new one, so Z5c.


I think the name already leaked on a german speaking site a couple days ago if i'm not mistaken. It was a promo for a free backpack and strap if you bought a kit with the Z5iic...




Sep 22, 2026 at 02:12 PM
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #16 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


Yeah, I'm sure it will be the Z5IIc, and in fact, that name makes perfect sense because it's a variant of the Z5II, not the 2nd gen of anything.

A natural follow up would be the Z5III and then Z5IIIc.

Or ZFc...oh wait, shit



Sep 22, 2026 at 02:15 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #17 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


phinix wrote:
I bet its gonna be called Z5c. Cannot be Z5IIc, cause "II" was a symbol of second iteration of 5 series. Small version of 5 will be new one, so Z5c.


I'd prefer Z5IIc. Then you know the base camera that was used. Sony has an assinine numbering so you have to find a list of the models to map "c" to "non c."

EBH



Sep 22, 2026 at 04:07 PM
BSPhotog
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #18 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


I'm almost certain this won't be a perfect camera for me, but I'm still excited that it exists.

Nikon makes stunning 24MP sensors and has for over a decade. It is still a bit of a boring choice, but that doesn't make it not good.

I'll agree with @RoamingScott, I'll take zero EVF and a good rear LCD over a bad EVF. Even better still would be a great EVF and no rear LCD.



Sep 22, 2026 at 06:10 PM
mklass
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #19 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


selahsean wrote:
For a while I adapted the Sigma I series of lenses to the Zf and it was a bit underwhelming imo. I had always liked that series of lenses for something portable on the Sony and thought the 35/2 punched above it's weight but it definitely felt like it lost a bit when adapted. Fortunately there are more lightweight options for Z mount now (I like most of the Viltrox lenses) and I wouldn't recommend anyone go out and purchase an E mount lens for a Z camera. If you happen to own some already why not but it wasn't
...Show more →

I have had excellent results using the Megadap ETZ21 Pro+ with a variety of E-mount lenses. I have used on Z50, Z50II, Z6, and Z8. The Megadap is pretty much seamless for me, and there are a whole variety of lenses available in E-mount that are not available in Z mount. If it weren't for Viltrox, the number of AF Z lenses would be much lower, as NIkon is restricting licensing. I guess they think that are a major factor in the mirrorless market. Not anymore.



Sep 22, 2026 at 06:12 PM
ottokbre
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #20 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


Pretty sure they are going to just take the Z30 and shoehorn the Z5II guts into it. A big nasty L shaped thing with no EVF.


Sep 22, 2026 at 07:03 PM
1       2       3       4              6       …       13       14       end






FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4              6       …       13       14       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account