fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5       …       13       14       end
  

Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week

  
 
Sonnar-7
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


Oddly enough Sony is in a better position to make a camera like that for those who wanted something else/more(me).
They have the a7CR that could use a new version, not really but the camera market loves a new camera, they can even recycle, what a treat.
An a7CR with no viewfinder(less expensive hopefully), a bit of novelty design to give some appeal, a silver version and the plug for their new external viewfinder released with the fx5.

I love Nikon though so I still believe we’ll get the Z7IIC with external tiltable viewfinder. Give it the fish thing if that makes people happy.



Sep 20, 2026 at 10:26 AM
mc877
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


What lenses is everybody planning to use with this? I have the Z 7ii but would rather have a smaller and less professional looking camera for street photography, so I'm considering picking this up. The Nikon 40mm is okay but I wish there was a good pancake 35mm option.


Sep 20, 2026 at 11:48 AM
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #3 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


Unfortunately, “pancake 35mm“ is a lot harder to pull off than even 40mm. The smallest 35 mm out there right now is the SG Image f2.2.

Personally, the TTartisan 40/2 would be my first look. Still plenty short, and nearly weightless.



Sep 20, 2026 at 12:41 PM
KR Photo
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #4 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


I’ll use the 24-50 zoom plus the 26, 28 and 40mm primes with this new body. Maybe Nikon will give us some more.

As for 35, there’s the Sony-Zeiss 35mm f/2.8, which is pretty compact if you’re open to adapting. Sony also has that nice looking trio of compacts out (24, 40 and 50, I think).



Sep 20, 2026 at 02:42 PM
RustyRus
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #5 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


What’s the draw here vs the Nikon ZR?

Just cost? Is the weight/size going to be that different? The ZR is already a bad ass stills camera-




Sep 20, 2026 at 03:05 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #6 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


ilkka_nissila wrote:
A low quality EVF is to me at least worse than no EVF at all as it annoys me so much that I would rather not use such a camera. But a design with no EVF should come with a large back LCD such as that in the ZR.

A compact mirrorless camera with no EVF bump can fit into a smaller (and much less expensive) underwater housing and thus it makes sense to have fish recognition AF.



But you don't have to use the EVF all the time and it takes up little space on the a7c series. I guess Z5IIC folks are using lenses smaller than the 70-200/2.8 and no teles at all above waters? I can understand an UW camera, but could be marketed as such. The price needs to be low enough for high volumes. I hope it can work out for Nikon.

EBH



Sep 20, 2026 at 03:24 PM
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #7 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


The ZR is a usability nightmare and needs at least 3 more custom buttons. It’s clearly built to be in a cage for video work where your settings are not fiddled with often.

RustyRus wrote:
What’s the draw here vs the Nikon ZR?

Just cost? Is the weight/size going to be that different? The ZR is already a bad ass stills camera-





Sep 20, 2026 at 03:40 PM
phinix
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #8 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


If its going to weight same as Z30 - around 400g - its a win for travel photography.
I still dont know if lack of EVF would bother me - I only use EVF, cause during family trips to sunny places, I cant see anything on back screen. Maybe they gonna make super bright screen?



Sep 20, 2026 at 05:00 PM
RustyRus
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #9 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


RoamingScott wrote:
The ZR is a usability nightmare and needs at least 3 more custom buttons. It’s clearly built to be in a cage for video work where your settings are not fiddled with often.



Have you used one? I spent 2 weeks in NYC with it and used it exclusively for photo and video. I thought it was great at either task-

Also that camera was 100% not built to be put in a cage. Its a run and gun hybrid camera.






Sep 20, 2026 at 05:53 PM
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #10 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


RustyRus wrote:
Have you used one? I spent 2 weeks in NYC with it and used it exclusively for photo and video. I thought it was great at either task-

Also that camera was 100% not built to be put in a cage. Its a run and gun hybrid camera.



I have eyes and a brain and I know how I like to use my cameras. There aren't enough buttons on it for me.



Sep 20, 2026 at 05:54 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #11 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


phinix wrote:
If its going to weight same as Z30 - around 400g - its a win for travel photography.
I still dont know if lack of EVF would bother me - I only use EVF, cause during family trips to sunny places, I cant see anything on back screen. Maybe they gonna make super bright screen?



Why would it weigh the same as a Z30? I'm really curious to hear your logic here



Sep 20, 2026 at 05:55 PM
AdaptedLenses
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #12 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


Clumsy, fragile, awkward in the bag. Make it rangefinder style or kill it…


Sep 20, 2026 at 07:42 PM
JustAHouseCat
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #13 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


RustyRus wrote:
Have you used one? I spent 2 weeks in NYC with it and used it exclusively for photo and video. I thought it was great at either task-

Also that camera was 100% not built to be put in a cage. Its a run and gun hybrid camera.



Don't worry about it. That's just Scott being his grumpy self. The Zr is pretty good for stills, especially with that zoom rocker. Amazing to use with manual lenses. The only thing I really found myself missing was back button focus.



Sep 20, 2026 at 07:54 PM
PixiPhotography
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #14 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


Another mock up







Sep 20, 2026 at 10:22 PM
PixiPhotography
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #15 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week



Mechanical shutter, slower reading IMX410 sensor, and Z5II’s line skipped 12-Bit NRAW capped at 4k/30. It’ll be a great hybrid, but no where near Zr in terms of video specs.

RustyRus wrote:
What’s the draw here vs the Nikon ZR?

Just cost? Is the weight/size going to be that different? The ZR is already a bad ass stills camera-





Sep 20, 2026 at 10:24 PM
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #16 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


Get this AI slop outta here, man.


Sep 20, 2026 at 11:28 PM
phinix
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #17 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


RoamingScott wrote:
Why would it weigh the same as a Z30? I'm really curious to hear your logic here


I dont know Scott, just my wish which will probably not come true.
If it stops at 550g will be huge success, but its Nikon, so might be 1kg...



Sep 21, 2026 at 07:54 AM
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #18 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


phinix wrote:
I dont know Scott, just my wish which will probably not come true.
If it stops at 550g will be huge success, but its Nikon, so might be 1kg...


Let's use the power of our minds combined with the power of logic. Below are with memory card and battery included.

Z30 - 405g
ZR - 630g
Z5ii - 700g

If the body is humpless and has the ZR screen, it's going to be roughly the same physical size as the ZR. We can be pretty sure that it'll be somewhere between 600g and 700g. Now, if they put a smaller screen on there so that the body can be shrunk halfway between the Z30 and ZR, we will get some weight savings, but likely not as light as the VERY plasticy Z30, so we're probably looking at 500-550g.



Sep 21, 2026 at 08:02 AM
Betacamman
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #19 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


Not sure why NR is calling this an A7C competitor if it doesn't have a viewfinder like the A7C has. Seems like a rather defining feature on a smaller body.


Sep 21, 2026 at 10:08 AM
mc877
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #20 · Looks like a Z5iiC is dropping next week


Betacamman wrote:
Not sure why NR is calling this an A7C competitor if it doesn't have a viewfinder like the A7C has. Seems like a rather defining feature on a smaller body.


My first full frame camera was an A7C and ever since then I've been looking for a similar camera (didn't like the raw files or the loud shutter), I would much rather have a viewfinder with this but it's not a dealbreaker for what I'll be using it for.



Sep 21, 2026 at 10:30 AM
1       2       3              5       …       13       14       end






FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5       …       13       14       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account