fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       24              26       …       32       33       end
  

New Lenses?

  
 
birderbill1
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: On
p.25 #1 · New Lenses?


I'll probably pick up the 600 sometime down the road. Just ordered the A7R6. Gonna give the bank account some rest.


Sep 21, 2026 at 11:30 AM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.25 #2 · New Lenses?


Daran wrote:
More light means more photons. Something readily measured by cameras, you know?


OK, you are right, and it does get brighter when you cross the fence to your neighbors 8 acre lot from your 1/2 acre lot. Better put on the sunglasses, apply sunscreen, and wear a hat before you cross the lot line! ;-)



Sep 21, 2026 at 11:31 AM
moyang_mm
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: On
p.25 #3 · New Lenses?


Jack Flesher wrote:
We understand the theory, we don’t agree with how some people try to equate that theory to a zero net difference between f4.5 in a 400mm lens if we crop to a 560mm equivalent FoV, and f6.3 on a 560mm lens. The reality is the f4.5 lens “required camera exposure” remains 1 full stop faster than what is required from an f6.3 lens of any focal length. And that's physics too


You seemed to imply that seeing "1 full stop faster" in the light meter when using 400mm F4.5 is some sort of an advantage, but there really isn't any if your end goal is an image with FOV of 600mm.



Sep 21, 2026 at 11:46 AM
Daran
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.25 #4 · New Lenses?


Jack Flesher wrote:
Sigh. I really do understand. And I think this argument is 100% relevant to DoF and noise. I just don't accept the way it's being implied applied to making an exposure; the argument that somehow cropping after making said exposure somehow now requires letting more light in for the image if we plan to crop later when in fact it does not. Does cropping after the fact change DoF? Yes. Does cropping after the fact potentially increase noise? Yes. Does cropping after the fact mean less total photons fell on the smaller image area? Yes. Does cropping after the
...Show more →
I understand how and why EVs work and that they work across different film sizes. But do you understand that in order to create an equivalent photo with a smaller sensor, you'll be using a higher exposure since the same amount of light is to be recorded in a smaller area?

Note: taking an equivalent photo on a smaller sensor also requires using a lower ISO.



Sep 21, 2026 at 11:57 AM
ruthenium
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.25 #5 · New Lenses?


Jack Flesher wrote:
Sigh. I really do understand. And I think this argument is 100% relevant to DoF and noise. I just don't accept the way it's being implied applied to making an exposure; the argument that somehow cropping after making said exposure somehow now requires letting more light in for the image if we plan to crop later when in fact it does not. Does cropping after the fact change DoF? Yes. Does cropping after the fact potentially increase noise? Yes. Does cropping after the fact mean less total photons fell on the smaller image area? Yes. Does cropping after the
...Show more →

There is a simple practical reason why the exposure is defined as light per unit surface area.
This establishes a direct link between the exposure and the ISO.
In your example, you cropped (by a factor of 2) an image obtained with the following lens, aperture, SS, and ISO:
FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM II lens 24mm f/8.0 1/200s 100 ISO 0.0 EV
The crop is equivalent to 48mm f/16. Now, set your zoom to 48mm f/16 and keep the SS at 1/200s.
What shall be the ISO (in Auto) on the camera, and why it should be different from 100?
You may want to post this image along with the crop (the two are expected to be equivalent - indistinguishable in every regard - on the basis of the "dreaded" equivalence).

Regarding "Does cropping after the fact potentially increase noise? Yes." - this is not correct as worded.
Cropping shall reduce the effective signal-to-noise ratio. Related to this, when ISO (in auto) is raised by a camera, this doesn't mean that creates more noise. There is no more noise at high ISO than it is at low ISO.

Let's go back to the following question.
Shall there be a difference between two images: one obtained by cropping by 1.4 and the other obtained without cropping and without changing any camera settings (with the ISO in auto), with a 1.4x TC attached to the lens?
In the latter case, there is no doubt that the camera shall recalculate the aperture from that set on the lens, by multiplying by 1.4 (this is the case of the 400mm F4.5 lens that the camera shall now regard as a 560mm F6.3).
Do you expect the image obtained by the cropping to be equivalent (indistinguishable in every regard) to the latter image obtained with the TC?
In other words, do you believe that cropping a 400mm F4.5 image in post is advantageous compared to using a 560 F6.3 lens?
Answering this question correctly depends on whether you understand what photographic equivalence means and why it is used by photographers.



Sep 21, 2026 at 12:05 PM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.25 #6 · New Lenses?


Daran wrote:
Note: taking an equivalent photo on a smaller sensor also requires using a lower ISO.


I'm sorry, but with the possible exception of some true edge cases, that simply is not true in real world photography. You are trying very, very hard adapt reality to fit your theory...

I shoot APS-C and full frame format extensively, sometimes side by side. In a situation where I do not need a higher ISO (say for low light) I typically use the camera's base ISO. On my FF system that happens to be 100 and on my APS-C system that happens to be 125.

Let's say the light is a bit lower, such that ISO400 seems warranted on my FF system. I'm almost certain to set the APS-C system to 400 as well.

In very low light and/or situations where I must keep the shutter speed shorter, I'll push both of those cameras to ISO1600 or ISO3200. (Adobe AI Denoise does an excellent job of handling the resulting noise.)

So, what about those edge cases?

If, for some reason, I actually intended to make the same extremely large print from my FF and APS-C systems (not likely) and I needed _exactly_ some particular aperture for DOF reasons, I would use about one aperture larger on the APS-C system or one smaller on the FF system. Similarly, in typical photography my default aperture (when DOF, light, or subject motion aren't issues) I'll go with one stop larger aperture and a longer shutter speed on the APS-C system — not for "more light" but to be closer to the aperture that provides the best system sharpness. (E.g. "f8 and be there" becomes "f/5.6 and be there.)

Overall, this whole "more light" business is yet another example of people going way off the track of what is actually meaningful and important in photography, in search — I suppose — of some kind of minuscule technical perfection that they imagine is what defines great photography, but which typically makes essentially no difference in their work at all.

I'm not against understanding how these things work. That is often useful. But I am these obsessions that are the equivalent of debating the thickness of the Ines of kitchen forks, the perfect flexibility of hairs on a paint brush, or whether we should tune orchestras to A-440 or A442... or the number of dancing angels that can fit on the head of a pin...



Sep 21, 2026 at 01:02 PM
Jemini
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.25 #7 · New Lenses?


Understandable. We all have different needs. I'm looking to replace the 300+1.4x that I use for BIF/action and everyday walking/biking/travel. Saving extra pound and some money, for the loss of a third stop is great.

Andyuk109 wrote:
Hah, same but for me glad I went for the 600

Looks like the 400 has the edge over the 100-400 but not by much and i like the flexibility of the zoom and I think id rather have a better result at 840mm with the 600 + 1.4 than a better result at 600mm with the 400 + 1.4 than the bare 600




Sep 21, 2026 at 01:04 PM
dclark
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.25 #8 · New Lenses?


gdanmitchell wrote:
It becomes larger as a percentage of frame width due to the lower number of pixels... if you make a large print from it. (It is the digital equivalent of having larger grain on film.) But the range of luminosity variation in the pixels does not increase — each pixel has the same luminosity value that it had before cropping.


The cropped image will appear noisier than the uncropped image even if the number of pixels remains the same. Print size has nothing to do with it. It is not the digital equivalent of larger grain on film.
The fundamental reason that the cropped image appears noisier is that photons are bosons and follow Bose-Einstein statistics. Consequently, fewer detected photons in the image lowers the signal to noise ratio, and the image appears noisier.
Also, you are using the term luminosity incorrectly.
The principle of equivalence is well founded in the laws of physics. The fact that many photographers have difficulty with physics does not change that. Regardless of any criminal intent (or level of ignorance) nobody is going to violate the laws of physics.



Sep 21, 2026 at 01:14 PM
pdog109
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.25 #9 · New Lenses?


birderbill1 wrote:
I'll probably pick up the 600 sometime down the road. Just ordered the A7R6. Gonna give the bank account some rest.


I was seriously considering getting the A7R6 as well, but then the new lens dropped and I decided to get the 600 6.3 instead. This is my first time buying a new lens, previously i've only bought used lenses that have been out for a while. Personally i feel bit silly buying it though, when I already own the 300 2.8 and use it with 2x most of the time anyway. I believe the 600 6.3 will be better than the 300 2.8+2x TC and i'll test it out to see for my self and then ill make a decision to keep one lens between the 300 2.8 or 600 6.3. I'm selling some of my firearms to buy the 600 6.3, as it'll get alot more use than guns just sitting in a safe!



Sep 21, 2026 at 01:26 PM
Daran
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.25 #10 · New Lenses?


Surprisingly Dustin reports that his 400f4.5 with a TC1.4 is a hair sharper than his 600f6.3. Now I am curious whether this is due to copy variability or generally the case.

birderbill1 wrote:
Further analysis from Dustin Abbott:






Sep 21, 2026 at 01:40 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Jemini
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.25 #11 · New Lenses?


Daran wrote:
Surprisingly Dustin reports that his 400f4.5 with a TC1.4 is a hair sharper than his 600f6.3. Now I am curious whether this is due to copy variability or generally the case.

Possible. But does GM lenses have that much copy variability issue? Waiting for Jan Wegener's review that should tell us more.



Sep 21, 2026 at 01:47 PM
dfreese
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.25 #12 · New Lenses?


I'm just going to stop watching this conversation until a bunch of people who have both the 300 2.8 and the 600 6.3 chime in. I'm getting one or the other, but the current reviews are lacking and they're not good real world tests.

Also, I'm not good enough for it to matter. Haha.

pdog109 wrote:
I was seriously considering getting the A7R6 as well, but then the new lens dropped and I decided to get the 600 6.3 instead. This is my first time buying a new lens, previously i've only bought used lenses that have been out for a while. Personally i feel bit silly buying it though, when I already own the 300 2.8 and use it with 2x most of the time anyway. I believe the 600 6.3 will be better than the 300 2.8+2x TC and i'll test it out to see for my self and then ill make a decision
...Show more →



Sep 21, 2026 at 01:50 PM
Daran
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.25 #13 · New Lenses?


gdanmitchell wrote:
I'm sorry, but with the possible exception of some true edge cases, that simply is not true in real world photography. You are trying very, very hard adapt reality to fit your theory...

It is not my theory, I just put in the effort to learn *the* theory. And it does work in practice.

Of course in practice you can ignore the theory, winging it gets you close enough and works just fine. But if that is all you are interested in, no one forces you to voice your opinion about the part you aren't interested in?

I'm not against understanding how these things work.
You hide that well. I take it you did not bother to read the mentioned dpreview article?



Sep 21, 2026 at 01:52 PM
ruthenium
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.25 #14 · New Lenses?


gdanmitchell wrote:
I'm sorry, but with the possible exception of some true edge cases, that simply is not true in real world photography. You are trying very, very hard adapt reality to fit your theory...

I shoot APS-C and full frame format extensively, sometimes side by side. In a situation where I do not need a higher ISO (say for low light) I typically use the camera's base ISO. On my FF system that happens to be 100 and on my APS-C system that happens to be 125.

Let's say the light is a bit lower, such that ISO400 seems warranted on my
...Show more →

Dan, the opening statement from Daran "taking an equivalent photo on a smaller sensor also requires using a lower ISO" is 100% correct. To be specific, to be equivalent, the ISO on the smaller sensor shall be reduced by the crop factor^2. That is, by 2.25 for APS-C vs FF. For example, for ISO 3200 on a FF camera, the equivalent ISO on an APS-C camera must be 1422 (understandably, the latter camera shall use the nearest to 1422 available ISO value in practice).
When you "push both of those cameras to ISO1600 or ISO3200" you are not capturing equivalent photos: the SS on your APS-C camera shall be faster and therefore the resulting images shall be noisier. As a rule of thumb, the ISO on your APS-C camera should be 1/2 of the ISO on your full-frame camera, e.g. 1600 and 3200, respectively.

Why is this important in practice? Because not knowing photographic equivalence makes some (many?) photographers actually believe that larger sensors have better "high ISO performance" than the smaller sensors. They may even support this argument by using Bill Claff's PDR numbers by comparing the sensors at one ISO, e.g. 6400. This belief is supported by another bogus claim that "larger sensors collect more light", which is not true at high ISO, when a sensor can collect only as much as it is allowed by the aperture and the SS - the sensor size is irrelevant.

Knowing photographic equivalence is not an obsession - this is about being literate in photography and operate a camera with full understanding of how it works and what the camera settings actually mean. The alternative is preached by some photographers who proclaim that their life-long experience of using a camera is better. I respectfully disagree and prefer combining solid knowledge with intuition instead of relying on pure intuition alone.

Edited on Sep 21, 2026 at 02:01 PM · View previous versions



Sep 21, 2026 at 01:59 PM
Daran
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.25 #15 · New Lenses?


Jemini wrote:
Possible. But does GM lenses have that much copy variability issue?

Yes, even expensive lenses from all manufacturers have some mechanical variations. All manufacturers fight with this and things tend to get better. See e.g.: https://www.dpreview.com/opinion/9596141908/roger-cicala-the-difference-between-sample-variation-and-bad-copies-part-2/

That said, I have no idea how Dustins copy compares to others.



Sep 21, 2026 at 02:00 PM
Jemini
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.25 #16 · New Lenses?


Daran wrote:
Yes, even expensive lenses from all manufacturers have some mechanical variations. All manufacturers fight with this and things tend to get better. See e.g.: https://www.dpreview.com/opinion/9596141908/roger-cicala-the-difference-between-sample-variation-and-bad-copies-part-2/

That said, I have no idea how Dustins copy compares to others.


Interesting. I hope I'll get a 400 that's close to Dustin's



Sep 21, 2026 at 02:18 PM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.25 #17 · New Lenses?


Lol

dclark wrote:
The cropped image will appear noisier than the uncropped image even if the number of pixels remains the same. Print size has nothing to do with it. It is not the digital equivalent of larger grain on film.
The fundamental reason that the cropped image appears noisier is that photons are bosons and follow Bose-Einstein statistics. Consequently, fewer detected photons in the image lowers the signal to noise ratio, and the image appears noisier.
Also, you are using the term luminosity incorrectly.
The principle of equivalence is well founded in the laws of physics. The fact that many photographers have difficulty with physics
...Show more →



Sep 21, 2026 at 05:14 PM
RikWriter
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.25 #18 · New Lenses?


gdanmitchell wrote:
Lol

The principle of equivalence is well founded in the laws of physics. The fact that many photographers have difficulty with physics does not change that. Regardless of any criminal intent (or level of ignorance) nobody is going to violate the laws of physics.



Ye cannae' change the laws of physics, Cap'n!



Sep 21, 2026 at 06:16 PM
howard
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.25 #19 · New Lenses?


ruthenium wrote:
Dan, the opening statement from Daran "taking an equivalent photo on a smaller sensor also requires using a lower ISO" is 100% correct.



No, it is not 100% correct. The equivalence adherents conveniently neglect the fact that different generations of sensors have different noise characteristics. Take an extreme example, if you take the first picture on a circa-2000 FF sensor, then the second "equivalent" photo on a current generation APS-C sensor, the latter may (and likely will) have better noise performance at the same ISO.

Of course, the equivalence crowd will immediately refute: "we are talking about physics, light incidence", etc. and not the sensor characteristics per se. But in their other arguments, they often use the "end results" of printed images as a benchmark to support their point. You can't have it both ways.

My point is, if your primary concern is photography, and not some theoretical pedantry, "Equivalence" is not the be-all-and-end-all standard of final judgement. I still don't call it false and I think it has some merits, but when people get zealous and snobbish about it, it more often than not does harm than good.

Howard


Edited on Sep 21, 2026 at 09:25 PM · View previous versions



Sep 21, 2026 at 08:43 PM
Jack Flesher
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.25 #20 · New Lenses?


@ruthenium , I am asking you because I suspect you will actually have accurate, scientific answers.

How much noise is in a well exposed, full sun landscape image taken with an A7R6 at iso 100?

How much noise needs to be present in an image before we can detect it?

How much noise needs to be present in an image before it’s considered objectionable?



Sep 21, 2026 at 09:06 PM
1       2       3       …       24              26       …       32       33       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       24              26       …       32       33       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account