fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       25              27       …       32       33       end
  

New Lenses?

  
 
Justin Stone
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #1 · New Lenses?


This topic is on two completely different tracks. I’d like a world where the “exposure equivalence” folks make their own topic to cage match each other so the rest of us who care about these new lenses can get drip fed new info without getting clotheslined in the ring.


Sep 21, 2026 at 09:59 PM
moyang_mm
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #2 · New Lenses?


Jack Flesher wrote:
How much noise is in a well exposed, full sun landscape image taken with an A7R6 at iso 100?



I actually think the equivalence consideration is less relevant in a "full sun landscape" scenario. There is plenty of light and one can always reach the full-well capacity of the sensor.

When considering between a cropped 400mm F4.5 and a native 600mm F6.3, it is very different. When shooting birds we are shutter speed limited. We don't have enough light. Cropping a 400mm F4.5 won't give us any advantage in the end result over a 600mm F6.3 despite what the light meter says.



Sep 21, 2026 at 10:09 PM
Jack Flesher
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #3 · New Lenses?


moyang_mm wrote:
I actually think the equivalence consideration is less relevant in a "full sun landscape" scenario. There is plenty of light and one can always reach the full-well capacity of the sensor.

When considering between a cropped 400mm F4.5 and a native 600mm F6.3, it is very different. When shooting birds we are shutter speed limited. We don't have enough light. Cropping a 400mm F4.5 won't give us any advantage in the end result over a 600mm F6.3 despite what the light meter says.


Fair enough. What about the other two questions? At what point does noise become visible and measurable? And when does it become objectionable?



Sep 21, 2026 at 10:14 PM
Settepotet
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #4 · New Lenses?


Would you equivalence nerds create a new topic, please?


Sep 22, 2026 at 01:40 AM
olalafoto
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #5 · New Lenses?


Jemini wrote:
Anyway 400+2X is usable.


Yeah, I agree. I think 400mm/f4.5GM with 2X is definitely a viable option.

Another comparison video:
7:50: 100-400/4.5GM@400mm +14TC vs 300/2.8GM + 20TC
9:00: 100-400/4.5GM@400mm +20TC vs 300/2.8GM + 20TC



I know this isn't a comparison specifically for the 400mm/f4.5GM, but theoretically, its results should be very close to the 100-400mm/f4.5GM, if not even better, so it's still a useful reference.






Sep 22, 2026 at 02:10 AM
aCuria
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #6 · New Lenses?


Daran wrote:
Surprisingly Dustin reports that his 400f4.5 with a TC1.4 is a hair sharper than his 600f6.3. Now I am curious whether this is due to copy variability or generally the case.



Yes the plot thickens.

Shockingly in DA’s test the 400/4.5 with 2X is so terrible compared to the 600mm/6.3 with 1.4x. It makes no sense

How can this be? Does he have a dud 2X?

Could it be because the test chart has to be further away for an 800mm test?

We need samples with “just cropping” and no TCs on one lens


Edited on Sep 22, 2026 at 02:56 AM · View previous versions



Sep 22, 2026 at 02:46 AM
michal.narozny
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #7 · New Lenses?


I will be posting some comparisons soon Remeber that all thsoe tests are shot upon specific conditions and aim at comparing 'something' - which may not be a real world use case. There is also a lens copy variation and if done by amateur (like I am) there are test bench issues.

Anyway, for a good comaprison one would need a series of shots at few distances, at least two sets of apertures (even aperture and fully opened), good lighting conditions, ISO 100 even exposure, even amount of light gathered. And even so the results would be complex and hard to comprehend.

Imho in general people are overthinking it. Often including myself. Best way is to go and shoot and check if the experience and results satisfy you and if the lens is buy worthy.



Sep 22, 2026 at 02:53 AM
aCuria
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #8 · New Lenses?




michal.narozny wrote:
I will be posting some comparisons soon Remeber that all thsoe tests are shot upon specific conditions and aim at comparing 'something' - which may not be a real world use case. There is also a lens copy variation and if done by amateur (like I am) there are test bench issues.

Anyway, for a good comaprison one would need a series of shots at few distances, at least two sets of apertures (even aperture and fully opened), good lighting conditions, ISO 100 even exposure, even amount of light gathered. And even so the results would be complex and
...Show more →

Which lenses do you have samples of?



Sep 22, 2026 at 02:59 AM
biggles2002
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #9 · New Lenses?


aCuria wrote:
Yes the plot thickens.

Shockingly in DA’s test the 400/4.5 with 2X is so terrible compared to the 600mm/6.3 with 1.4x. It makes no sense

How can this be? Does he have a dud 2X?

Could it be because the test chart has to be further away for an 800mm test?

We need samples with “just cropping” and no TCs on one lens


I think he used a Viltrox 2.0X TC



Sep 22, 2026 at 03:00 AM
Jemini
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #10 · New Lenses?


Looking at the 2X sample DA posted, I think there's little camera/lens shake in that shot. This can happen especially images taken outside. As we all know (and Michael mentioned above) we are over thinking this. I have no doubts that these lens will perform wonderfully in the field.

biggles2002 wrote:
I think he used a Viltrox 2.0X TC




Sep 22, 2026 at 04:47 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

aCuria
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #11 · New Lenses?


Jemini wrote:
Looking at the 2X sample DA posted, I think there's little camera/lens shake in that shot. This can happen especially images taken outside. As we all know (and Michael mentioned above) we are over thinking this. I have no doubts that these lens will perform wonderfully in the field.



I would prefer the (cheaper) 400/4.5 with the 1.4x TC if it is equivalent to the 600/6.3 at 560mm.

However, if the 400/4.5 + 1.4x is equivalent to the 600/6.3 at 560mm, then logically, the 400/4.5 + 2x TC should be reasonably close to the 600/6.3 + 1.4x TC.

The reason is that the 1.4x TC turns the 400/4.5 into a 560mm f/6.3, so if that combination is optically comparable to the 600/6.3, then the two setups should have broadly similar resolving performance, contrast, and image quality at that point. Applying another 1.4x worth of magnification to the 400/4.5 setup should therefore be analogous to putting a 1.4x TC on the 600/6.3.

Obviously, TC performance is not perfectly linear because each lens/TC combination has different, MTF characteristics, but I would still expect the relative performance to scale somewhat predictably if the 400/4.5 + 1.4x and 600/6.3 are genuinely equivalent. Dustin's results seem to show a much larger difference than I would expect from that relationship, which is what I find puzzling.

Ultimately, it doesn't really give me a clear indication of which lens I should buy.



Sep 22, 2026 at 06:47 AM
ps09
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #12 · New Lenses?


I'll ask it again. Why are Viltrox TCs being used? If I had the money these reviewers did, I'd throw all mine away! BUT, despite being a nobody, I still was able to scrape together enough crumbs to have 1st party tcs. TCs can be problematic, so why use a discount Chinese non-native TC for testing? Maybe Viltrox is writing them checks?
'
I'll have the 600 soon. I also have the 300 with both Sony tcs and the 600gm. I don't pay to post images on this site, but will give a fair assessment once I have the lens in hand and can test under controlled environment. I have access to large buildings for inside testing under controlled conditions. I cannot compare it to the 2-6 or 4-8 as I had both and sold them. I found the the 2-6 inferior to to the 300gm once I got the GM (stunned by its IQ and AF performance with SONY 2x) and sold the 4-8 because it's weight was close enough to the 600 GM that it didn't stack up in IQ or hitting f8 by 600. I felt the lens was fine for what it was, but if I was going to carry such a heavy lens, I'd carry the 600gm. My interest in the new 600 is due to its size and weight for kayak photography. I'm hoping the naked lens can match the 300gm + SONY 2x. I don't expect it to be better. Yes, the 300/2x is that good. I shoot waterfowl and loons from the kayak at 6.3-8 for DOF anyway, so 6.3 doesn't worry me.



Sep 22, 2026 at 07:06 AM
Jemini
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #13 · New Lenses?


I think he had both lenses. He replied earlier in the thread. Hope he'll post some nice real life shots

aCuria wrote:
Which lenses do you have samples of?




Sep 22, 2026 at 07:12 AM
Jemini
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #14 · New Lenses?


"Soon"
How soon you will get it? Earlier than worldwide release?

Thank you

ps09 wrote:
I'll ask it again. Why are Viltrox TCs being used? If I had the money these reviewers did, I'd throw all mine away! BUT, despite being a nobody, I still was able to scrape together enough crumbs to have 1st party tcs. TCs can be problematic, so why use a discount Chinese non-native TC for testing? Maybe Viltrox is writing them checks?
'
I'll have the 600 soon. I also have the 300 with both Sony tcs and the 600gm. I don't pay to post images on this site, but will give a fair assessment once I have the lens in
...Show more →



Sep 22, 2026 at 07:21 AM
ps09
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #15 · New Lenses?


I am a nobody, but I'm first on a list at a shop that will get first batch copies, so I'm guessing mid October. I will be out of town on a landscape trip when it arrives at home, so I won't be able to do anything until late October. By then, I'm sure others will post logical reviews. Right now it's all a bit of a joke. If I were an "influencer" that was sent a copy, and didn't have the lenses people want to see compared, I'd rent them from LR. Who, that shoots Sony tiles or zooms, does not have the Sony tcs. I'm beginning to think many of these "influencers" don't shoot the gear on a regular basis. Jan's review (and Steve Perry) are what we need to see.


Sep 22, 2026 at 07:57 AM
Jack Flesher
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #16 · New Lenses?


FWIW, the French guy’s utube reviews linked a few pages back used the Sony TC’s on both new lenses and the 200-600, as well as the 600/4 in his comps. He may have even had a 400/2.8 in there. It was pretty comprehensive.


Sep 22, 2026 at 08:03 AM
michal.narozny
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #17 · New Lenses?


Hey everyone, this took a bit longer than expected!

I’ve also put together a Reel with the results. If you have a second, a thumbs up or a repost would mean the world—it really makes a huge difference for smaller creators.

Watch the full comparison Reel on Instagram

Also - I have created a separate thread with results, so they are easier to find:
FM thread <---- click here



Sep 22, 2026 at 11:33 AM
Jemini
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #18 · New Lenses?


michal.narozny wrote:
Hey everyone, this took a bit longer than expected!

I’ve also put together a Reel with the results. If you have a second, a thumbs up or a repost would mean the world—it really makes a huge difference for smaller creators.

Watch the full comparison Reel on Instagram

Also - I have created a separate thread with results, so they are easier to find:
FM thread <---- click here


Thanks for the effort and posting them. Wait for few critics of your method

I was looking only at 400/600/tc combos

Anyway my takeaway is that 400+1.4 vs 600 as well 400+2X vs 600+1.4 are pretty close to each other. 400 combo is a smidge better than 600, may be because 400 shots has slightly more contrast.

Edit : I think I was biased. Both the combos are identical.

I assume the top one is 400 shots.

Is that your impression too?



Sep 22, 2026 at 12:33 PM
ps09
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #19 · New Lenses?


Ok, I'll respectfully state with no disrespect intended - in the DSLR days of auto focus fine tuning, LensAlign (which I personally found to be best) recommended 8' for every 100mm of focal length when testing/calibrating lenses. This is more than likely why Dustin Abbott did his testing outside, as 840mm would require 67.2'. 6.75 meters would be about 22', which is really close to test 800mm.


Sep 22, 2026 at 01:31 PM
biggles2002
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #20 · New Lenses?


michal.narozny wrote:
Hey everyone, this took a bit longer than expected!

I’ve also put together a Reel with the results. If you have a second, a thumbs up or a repost would mean the world—it really makes a huge difference for smaller creators.

Watch the full comparison Reel on Instagram

Also - I have created a separate thread with results, so they are easier to find:
FM thread <---- click here


I preciate your effort to make this clearer for us but why not share those raw files? .......
I mean "REEL" how in "hell" should that be representive view of what the difference is between these lenses?



Sep 22, 2026 at 01:56 PM
1       2       3       …       25              27       …       32       33       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       25              27       …       32       33       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account