fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

       2       end
  

Is the RF 100-400 worth it?

  
 
CarlosJG
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Is the RF 100-400 worth it?


It’s not expensive, and although I can see it has good specifications, it seems its not very fast. Is it really worth it? Any experiences?


Aug 20, 2026 at 01:50 PM
Mike_5D
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Is the RF 100-400 worth it?


People who have it seem to really like it. It's pretty sharp where it matters and is much smaller, lighter, and cheaper than a faster lens like the EF 100-400 II. It all depends on your needs and what you're comparing it to.


Aug 20, 2026 at 01:54 PM
PatrickSweeney
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Is the RF 100-400 worth it?


I just used one on my R7 on a recent trip to Africa.Bright light, so the small aperture was not a problem.


Aug 20, 2026 at 02:58 PM
Jman13
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Is the RF 100-400 worth it?


I owned one previously and I will likely get one again in a few months now that I’m back on Canon. I found it to be surprisingly good optically, and extremely convenient given how compact and light it is. Here’s my review of it:
https://admiringlight.com/blog/review-canon-rf-100-400mm-f-5-6-8-is-usm/

Edited on Aug 20, 2026 at 04:37 PM · View previous versions



Aug 20, 2026 at 04:07 PM
robstein
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Is the RF 100-400 worth it?


Worth every penny - Just an unbelievably versatile lens. It's literally the same size as a trendy water bottle, and significantly smaller and lighter than any of the L's in the same category. I find the sharpness, speed, focus surety, IS etc to be top shelf. The IS is staggeringly good. I was playing with my old 70-200 f/4 L and the RF is almost identical in size but lighter - the handling quality of the L is better and not plastic feeling like the RF100-400.

I don't have the 100-500 but I'd bet that it's a step up. My old 100-400 (v1) is out of it's depth in comparison.

To your point, it's not a free lunch and it's optically a lot slower. I get away with that because the R6ii is just so good in lower light and my use cases are not night time field sports where you really need speed.



Aug 20, 2026 at 04:15 PM
jaredmizanin
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Is the RF 100-400 worth it?




Jman13 wrote:
I owned one previously and I will likely get one again in a few months now that I’m back on Canon. I found it to be surprisingly good optically, and extremely convenient given how compact and light it is. Here’s my review of it: https://admiringlight.com/blog/review-canon-rf-100-400mm-f-5-6-8-is-usm/


The link isn't working for me. Not sure if the issue is on my end or...



Aug 20, 2026 at 04:32 PM
Jman13
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · Is the RF 100-400 worth it?




jaredmizanin wrote:
The link isn't working for me. Not sure if the issue is on my end or...

It’s an issue with the forum software. Sometimes it breaks links by appending the fm site to the beginning. If it’s not working for you, you can just copy the URL and paste it.



Aug 20, 2026 at 04:39 PM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · Is the RF 100-400 worth it?


CarlosJG wrote:
It’s not expensive, and although I can see it has good specifications, it seems its not very fast. Is it really worth it? Any experiences?


There are numerous reviews on YouTube:

?si=VkSTL2UQ0LuhV-Cj



Aug 20, 2026 at 04:51 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Is the RF 100-400 worth it?


And some technical tests are here: https://opticallimits.com/canon/canon-rf/canon-rf-100-400mm-f-5-6-8-usm-is-review/
https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=1572
https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-RF-100-400mm-F5.6-8-IS-USM-Lens.aspx

EBH



Aug 20, 2026 at 05:21 PM
Jeff Nolten
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · Is the RF 100-400 worth it?


I have the RF 100-400 along with the 100-500, R7 and R5. Used all of them for a number of years now. The 100-400 and R7 make a wonderful daylight field combination. Set it to F8 and just use it. You will get great images. It focuses close. It also works well on the R5 but the 100-500 and R5 are magic. I don't do events or sports, just travel and wildlife. If you need to do really low light or really fast shutter speeds then be prepared for getting a very expensive and heavy lens. The R7 + 100-400 weighs 2.7 lbs, a joy to walk around with.


Aug 20, 2026 at 07:48 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Pixelpuffin
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · Is the RF 100-400 worth it?


I’m in the UK
For the past 3 months we’ve had gorgeous sunshine everyday. I’ve enjoyed shooting at iso 100 and using 5.6 and F8.
The weather has now changed, autumn will very soon be here. Then it’s 6 months of dark overcast miserable weather. I won’t be using iso 100 then!!

So for me the RF line up with these awful slow apertures are just a non starter unless I want iso 800+ as my baseline.

I still have my old ef 70-300L and 70-300is ii nano
Both can be cropped to give a 400 view, both are 5.6 maximum aperture and both can be bought used mint and probably boxed for way less than the RF 100-400 F8. Hence why I’ve not bought one myself.







Aug 20, 2026 at 11:38 PM
Mike_5D
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · Is the RF 100-400 worth it?


Pixelpuffin wrote:
I’m in the UK
For the past 3 months we’ve had gorgeous sunshine everyday. I’ve enjoyed shooting at iso 100 and using 5.6 and F8.
The weather has now changed, autumn will very soon be here. Then it’s 6 months of dark overcast miserable weather. I won’t be using iso 100 then!!

So for me the RF line up with these awful slow apertures are just a non starter unless I want iso 800+ as my baseline.

I still have my old ef 70-300L and 70-300is ii nano
Both can be cropped to give a 400 view, both are 5.6 maximum aperture and both
...Show more →

ISO 800 is nothing for a modern camera. ISO 100 is for landscape and studio photographers.



Aug 20, 2026 at 11:55 PM
Pixelpuffin
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · Is the RF 100-400 worth it?



Mike_5D wrote:
ISO 800 is nothing for a modern camera. ISO 100 is for landscape and studio photographers.

Sorry
I was referring to crop not FF
I can definitely notice the difference after even 400iso
But yes, FF high iso is amazing. My old 6D never ceases to amaze me… not so with aps-c.




Aug 21, 2026 at 12:44 AM
CarlosJG
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · Is the RF 100-400 worth it?


Imagemaster wrote:
There are numerous reviews on YouTube



I know that perfectly well. But I'd rather rely on personal experiences than on reviews that are often paid for and biased.



Aug 21, 2026 at 03:28 AM
melcat
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · Is the RF 100-400 worth it?


Pixelpuffin wrote:
I still have my old ef 70-300L and 70-300is ii nano
Both can be cropped to give a 400 view, both are 5.6 maximum aperture and both can be bought used mint and probably boxed for way less than the RF 100-400 F8.


By cropping away approximately half the sensor area like that, you’re approximately doubling the noise, which is pretty much equivalent to having to shoot at f/8 instead of f/5.6. This is true regardless of sensor size.



Aug 21, 2026 at 03:49 AM
Z250SA
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · Is the RF 100-400 worth it?


CarlosJG wrote:
...I'd rather rely on personal experiences than on reviews that are often paid for and biased.


Jan Wegener´s reviews are very good and as reliable as they come as user experience. His chum Duade Paton has several very much hands on field reports on the RF100-400 (as well as the other suspects among the wildlife lenses) both with and without the RF1.4x. All well worth watching, among the very best out there especially if you do mostly birding.



Aug 21, 2026 at 04:29 AM
Pixelpuffin
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · Is the RF 100-400 worth it?




melcat wrote:
By cropping away approximately half the sensor area like that, you’re approximately doubling the noise, which is pretty much equivalent to having to shoot at f/8 instead of f/5.6. This is true regardless of sensor size.


Half
Cropping 300 to equal 400 is half??
I thought it would be 25% crop ??

Regardless. I still have my old ef 100-400 that I do use occasionally on FF. but seeing as I now shoot mostly aps-c the 70-300 suffices.

But, can I say this without offending?? To me the bigger issue is the shite sensors (or processors) canon uses in the aps-c line. For the past 3yrs I’ve been using Pentax more and more. I find pentax output much nicer than canon, the downside is Pentax AF is rudimentary..almost crude in comparison to canon. But regardless I still tend to choose Pentax for aps-c and my canon for FF - that’s only because I don’t have or want the Pentax FF.
I have a plethora of aps-c canon bodies from the humble 400d to the M6ii and finally my R50. If I’m feeling lazy I just grab the canon stuff, If I’m in the mood it’s Pentax everytime. The output just has a certain bite that canon lacks. Not sure if it’s the Pentax glass or the sensor or the processor. Whatever it is the pictures seem to be nicer… when the AF has focused correctly that is!

So six of one & half a dozen of the other





Aug 21, 2026 at 05:49 AM
CarlosJG
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · Is the RF 100-400 worth it?


Z250SA wrote:
Jan Wegener´s reviews are very good and as reliable as they come as user experience. His chum Duade Paton has several very much hands on field reports on the RF100-400 (as well as the other suspects among the wildlife lenses) both with and without the RF1.4x. All well worth watching, among the very best out there especially if you do mostly birding.


Oh, thanks for the detailed recommendation. I'll check it out.



Aug 21, 2026 at 06:08 AM
melcat
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · Is the RF 100-400 worth it?


Pixelpuffin wrote:
Half
Cropping 300 to equal 400 is half??
I thought it would be 25% crop ??


You thought wrongly. 0.75 × 0.75 = 0.56.

Regardless, OP is asking about the RF 100–400 lens, not some other lens you own or the merits of APS-C sensors or other brands of camera.



Aug 21, 2026 at 06:08 AM
jgoetz4
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · Is the RF 100-400 worth it?


I've had mine for a few years now. Bought it refurbished for $425. It pairs well on my R100, making a light combination.
Jim




  Canon EOS R100    RF100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM lens    200mm    f/8.0    1/100s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  






  Canon EOS R100    RF100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM lens    248mm    f/8.0    1/80s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  






  Canon EOS R100    RF100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM lens    400mm    f/8.0    1/400s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  






  Canon EOS R100    RF100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM lens    400mm    f/9.0    1/250s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  




Aug 21, 2026 at 06:11 AM
       2       end






FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

       2       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account