fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              end
  

Is the RF 100-400 worth it?

  
 
xcoaste
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Is the RF 100-400 worth it?


I bought it on a refurb sale 2 years ago for $390 which was a steal. Honestly though, I rarely use it. I take it when traveling due to the light weight size. Tried it for soccer, but my main lens for that is 300 2.8. It did fine but the photos were more like “snapshots” with a busy background. Birding and air shows are why I keep it around.


Aug 21, 2026 at 08:49 AM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · Is the RF 100-400 worth it?


CarlosJG wrote:
I know that perfectly well. But I'd rather rely on personal experiences than on reviews that are often paid for and biased.


Rely on whomever you wish. However, many of us know there are some competent reviewers online that are not paid by the companies they are reviewing gear for, nor are they biased. They also have used the gear more extensively and longer for some FM members.

e.g. An online reviewer points out all these shortcomings of the RF 100-400 compared to other lenses:
- no focus-limiter
- AF not as fast
- poor bokeh
- not as well weather-sealed
- not as good lens coatings

Did you get all that feedback from any FM'er?

Whether those are important to some or not is of no interest to me. However it points out that it can be short-sighted to ignore what some competent and unbiased reviewers post online.

Just learn to separate the wheat from the chaff.



Aug 21, 2026 at 11:29 AM
Jman13
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · Is the RF 100-400 worth it?


But see you're assuming that everyone has the same opinions, and of your list, I'd actually disagree with at least two of them.

1) AF speed: The 100-400 is one of the very few non-L lenses that has a Nano-USM focus motor instead of an STM motor. It focuses quite quickly. No one is expecting VCM level performance on a budget lens like this, but I never encountered a situation with that lens where I was concerned about AF speed in any way. It's a pretty quick focuser. Of course, the slow aperture will slow down AF in dim light (something I note in my own review).

2) Poor bokeh. I honestly have no idea what you're talking about here, and I strongly disagree with that assessment, especially for a lens in this price class. I was very, very pleased with the rendering of out of focus backgrounds with this lens. Are there lenses with better bokeh? Yeah. But in no way would I call the bokeh from this lens 'poor' in any respect.













Even here, where the subject is at a great distance, but there is still some out of focus in the foreground and background, there's nothing really objectionable - the leaves and branches are quite neutral with regards to bokeh (of course there's high contrast due to the back-lit stuff combined with bright specular highlights, but again, the quality is quite smooth, even if absolute blur amount is minimal).











Aug 21, 2026 at 12:04 PM
Pixelpuffin
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · Is the RF 100-400 worth it?


Tbh
Those are nice shots
But I’m assuming they’ve had a lot of work?



Aug 21, 2026 at 01:56 PM
CarlosJG
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · Is the RF 100-400 worth it?


Imagemaster wrote:
Just learn to separate the wheat from the chaff.


Judging by the following comment someone made to you, I'm afraid I'm not the one who needs to learn how to separate the wheat from the chaff.



Aug 21, 2026 at 02:39 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · Is the RF 100-400 worth it?


Jman13 wrote:
But see you're assuming that everyone has the same opinions, and of your list, I'd actually disagree with at least two of them.


Disagree all you want, and I made no such assumptions. I simply quoted opinions from someone online who is just as credible as you.

What part of separating the wheat from the chaff did you not understand?






Aug 21, 2026 at 03:29 PM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · Is the RF 100-400 worth it?


CarlosJG wrote:
Judging by the following comment someone made to you, I'm afraid I'm not the one who needs to learn how to separate the wheat from the chaff.


Maybe you just need to learn how to read.



Aug 21, 2026 at 03:30 PM
Jman13
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · Is the RF 100-400 worth it?


Just standard stuff. Nothing unusual. My normal RAW development.

Pixelpuffin wrote:
Tbh
Those are nice shots
But I’m assuming they’ve had a lot of work?




Aug 21, 2026 at 04:54 PM
CarlosJG
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #9 · Is the RF 100-400 worth it?


Jman13 wrote:
Just standard stuff. Nothing unusual. My normal RAW development.



Good work!



Aug 21, 2026 at 11:48 PM
gossamer88
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #10 · Is the RF 100-400 worth it?


This is earlier this month with the 1.4x extender, minimal edit...I love this lens and with the R7 it's so easy to carry around.

5P8A3158 Eastern tiger swallowtail g88 by G88, on Flickr



Aug 22, 2026 at 06:22 AM
1              end






FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account