fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

       2       end
  

Old 5D images with today's post-processing

  
 
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Old 5D images with today's post-processing


*




  Canon EOS 5D    100.0-400.0 mm f/4.5-5.6 lens    400mm    f/5.6    1/250s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  




Aug 17, 2026 at 10:47 PM
Jman13
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Old 5D images with today's post-processing


This is why I never delete my RAW files. I have had too many images I’ve come back to over the years that either I see in a new light, or can be processed with significant improvements. Very nice shot!


Aug 17, 2026 at 10:59 PM
jgoetz4
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Old 5D images with today's post-processing


Excellent detail at iso1600, Tony
Jim



Aug 18, 2026 at 09:16 AM
osidesurfer
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Old 5D images with today's post-processing


Excellent shot. Is it just the noise that has improved or are there other improvements (e.g., from use of masking?


Aug 18, 2026 at 09:59 AM
Tom RC
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Old 5D images with today's post-processing


Very nice! That camera brings back a lot of memories!!!


Aug 18, 2026 at 10:53 AM
Cliff L.
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Old 5D images with today's post-processing


Probably the best reason to always shoot in RAW.


Aug 18, 2026 at 11:42 AM
Alan4color
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Old 5D images with today's post-processing


In addition to the improvements in processing software over 20 years your also looking at the operators shills improving as well

Im still amazed by the files from my 1D only 4 megs really special.

Nice image and detail, I would be curious to compare it to you original processing from decades ago...



Aug 19, 2026 at 11:57 AM
dhlewis
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Old 5D images with today's post-processing


Alan4color wrote:
In addition to the improvements in processing software over 20 years your also looking at the operators shills improving as well

Im still amazed by the files from my 1D only 4 megs really special.

Nice image and detail, I would be curious to compare it to you original processing from decades ago...


I agree, I think I owned the original 1D 3 different times. I wish I had one for my camera collection.




Aug 19, 2026 at 02:35 PM
350lcpete
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Old 5D images with today's post-processing


I have done similar, reprocessed old raw files, in my case with DXO 8 elite


Aug 20, 2026 at 10:05 AM
Jeff Nolten
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · Old 5D images with today's post-processing


I'm very glad I went with the 5D + 24-105 L and 100-400 L zooms back at the start of my retirement/travel career. All those raw files have stood up well even if I had to up-res them to fit my 5k display. I remember wondering if the gear was worth it. Looking at the images now - worth every penny!

I'll add that the current processing tools have allowed me to fix some old images so they deserved to be in my regular memories slide shows. Masking, noise and distraction removal, and even generative expand to fit the current 16:9 displays can do wonders for a so-so image.



Aug 22, 2026 at 10:16 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Danpbphoto
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · Old 5D images with today's post-processing


The 5D was a break through body for Canon and for all dslr's..IMHO...I loved it and some of my best images came from this body.
I use PsCC and with all the new features, of which I probably only use 5%, Tony's compositions exhibit both the professional "handling" of that ancient body and the art of postprocessing!...if needed..
Kudos Tony!
Dan



Aug 22, 2026 at 11:39 AM
Danpbphoto
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · Old 5D images with today's post-processing


osidesurfer wrote:
Excellent shot. Is it just the noise that has improved or are there other improvements (e.g., from use of masking?


All of thee above....
Dan



Aug 22, 2026 at 11:50 AM
Mike Deep
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · Old 5D images with today's post-processing


This is a fine example of why you should always use the ISO you need to get the shot. Noise processing has improved leaps and bounds over the years, but camera shake is a lost shot forever.

There's a tendency some people have to obsess over using the lowest ISOs at all times, and it's only become more absurd as sensors and processing software improves.



Aug 22, 2026 at 12:52 PM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · Old 5D images with today's post-processing


Some more 'Oldies' from a real Oldie.





1

  Canon EOS 5D    400.0 mm f/5.6 lens    400mm    f/11.0    1/100s    1600 ISO    -0.3 EV  







2

  Canon EOS 5D    100.0-400.0 mm f/4.5-5.6 lens    220mm    f/8.0    1/250s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  







3

  Canon EOS 5D    100.0-400.0 mm f/4.5-5.6 lens    360mm    f/5.6    1/500s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  







4 - white raven

  Canon EOS 5D    100.0-400.0 mm f/4.5-5.6 lens    400mm    f/6.7    1/2000s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  







5

  Canon EOS 5D    400.0 mm f/5.6 lens    400mm    f/5.6    1/1500s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  




Aug 22, 2026 at 09:40 PM
Danpbphoto
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · Old 5D images with today's post-processing


5D EF100mmf2.8 IS Macro.
Dan










"Pardone Me..."









Aug 28, 2026 at 11:55 AM
John Power
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · Old 5D images with today's post-processing


I've had a number of Canon cameras myself in the last 20 something years and some of my favorite pictures were taken with the 5D


Aug 30, 2026 at 08:28 AM
campy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · Old 5D images with today's post-processing


My first Canon digital was a 5D. I had been using the early Sony A model but can't remember which model. Anyway I saw a Craigslist ad for a 5D with a EF 70-200 f2.8 for $1100. The owner said the camera was giving an error but she couldn't remember what it was. I met up with her and no error was popping up but the lens had a ton of scratches on front element. I don't think I have ever seen so many scratches on a lens before. I think I negotiated down to $700 knowing they were worth that in parts so I took a chance. Well the following weekend I took the camera to a zoo to check it out fully and never an error came up. When I got home and looked at the photos I was blown away by the look of the photos. I can't say why they looked so pleasing but my eye said they were. Didn't notice anything with the scratches and I felt I got a real bargain. The 5DII had recently came out and I figured it would be even better the the original so I sold the 5D and 70-200 for I think $1200 or $1300 and bought a refurbished 5D II from Canon for I think around $1700. For some reason I didn't think it had the same look as the original. Many years later I bought another 5D and still have it but don't really use it. I just like to keep it as a reminder of my first time.


Sep 01, 2026 at 12:43 AM
John Power
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · Old 5D images with today's post-processing


Danpbphoto wrote:
5D EF100mmf2.8 IS Macro.
Dan


If you said you took those with an R5 II everyone would believe you



Sep 01, 2026 at 07:48 AM
Mike Deep
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · Old 5D images with today's post-processing


1D Mark II checking in again. I've been applying modern day processing to a lot of older photos. The raws from that thing really hold up.



















And a 30D. I've always hated this camera, long story. Raws are coming out alright though.














Sep 01, 2026 at 09:31 AM
Danpbphoto
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · Old 5D images with today's post-processing


John Power wrote:
If you said you took those with an R5 II everyone would believe you





Sep 01, 2026 at 01:32 PM
       2       end






FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

       2       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account