fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

       2       end
  

RE: ONLINE DATA BACKUP RECS???

  
 
ozmoses
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · RE: ONLINE DATA BACKUP RECS???


Hello,

I'm looking to get feedback on what people are finding to be the "best" cloud type online data backup mostly for wedding photography, some video and visual art. Essentially, most image/video date. Need something that is fast, reliable, cost effective without breaking the bank. Running PCs not MACs. ( I know, I know)

Google Drive
Dropbox
OneDrive ?

Much thanks in advance.



Aug 12, 2026 at 04:22 PM
chez
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · RE: ONLINE DATA BACKUP RECS???


You want fast, reliable and cheap…good luck.


Aug 12, 2026 at 05:22 PM
ozmoses
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · RE: ONLINE DATA BACKUP RECS???


I was asking for a very reasonable combination... I said cost effective (without breaking the bank). Didn't say cheap. I'm talking value. Any sane person would want the same thing. Obviously, that's a problem for you. Keep doing what you're doing. Later.


Aug 12, 2026 at 08:44 PM
secondclaw
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · RE: ONLINE DATA BACKUP RECS???


If you have Amazon Prime, Prime Photo offers unlimited image backup (including raw) already included as part of Prime subscription and maybe 10gb of video. You can also pay extra for more video storage.


Aug 12, 2026 at 10:34 PM
shutterbug guy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · RE: ONLINE DATA BACKUP RECS???


I quit using online b/u’s as I don’t trust them. Right now, I have two sets of b/u hard drives in different locations. It works for me.

Edited on Aug 13, 2026 at 05:20 AM · View previous versions



Aug 13, 2026 at 04:31 AM
schlotz
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · RE: ONLINE DATA BACKUP RECS???


Been using 1Drive for a couple of years have no complaints. It's their standard 10TB package. If you have more than that, the price jumps! Note: on-line backups are pretty much fine as long as you have a high speed connection. We have fibre here so its 900+ both up and down. I wouldn't recommend using any of them if your connection is a lot slower.


Aug 13, 2026 at 05:14 AM
tsdevine
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · RE: ONLINE DATA BACKUP RECS???



I'm using iDrive as well, there is an app I can run on my QNAP NAS. Also have a local backup, and remote backup to storage at my parents house.



Aug 13, 2026 at 07:59 PM
bwcolor
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · RE: ONLINE DATA BACKUP RECS???


I use BackBlaze to backup TBs of data. Price is right, backup is dependable, but restore is relatively slow, but this is for GB restore. Larger restores on media shipped to you. Also, do remote backup to Tim’s parent’s house..maybe not..


Aug 13, 2026 at 08:45 PM
James Burden
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · RE: ONLINE DATA BACKUP RECS???


Backblaze here for a number of years. I only cloud backup around 2 TB though. I've had a major failure once and got a back-up drive shipped to me for restore and then returned it. I also made an ID10T error and was saved with an online download restore....🙏🏼

Edit: That's just cloud back-up. I have the same data on two SSD's in redundancy......

Thanks to the SSD apocalypse I have learned to be very frugal with culling where I haven't been in the past 😎

Edited on Aug 13, 2026 at 09:13 PM · View previous versions



Aug 13, 2026 at 08:51 PM
tsdevine
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · RE: ONLINE DATA BACKUP RECS???


bwcolor wrote:
I use BackBlaze to backup TBs of data. Price is right, backup is dependable, but restore is relatively slow, but this is for GB restore. Larger restores on media shipped to you. Also, do remote backup to Tim’s parent’s house..maybe not..


Well, I have 1 copy in the cloud, 1 local, and 1 remote....all automated. 16 TB. I have my source on a RAID 6 volume with a hot spare, but that's obviously not counted in the above, as it's not a backup.

The backup at my parents is encrypted and it's like my last resort copy. But if you know someone who also wants to do backups, it's a cheap way to get an offsite copy. You an reciprocate for them. Not sure if that was a dig, or just an attempt at humor.

I used to use Backblaze B2 and Wasabi, but have been happy with my current solution.



Aug 13, 2026 at 08:54 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

bwcolor
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · RE: ONLINE DATA BACKUP RECS???


tsdevine wrote:
Well, I have 1 copy in the cloud, 1 local, and 1 remote....all automated. 16 TB. I have my source on a RAID 6 volume with a hot spare, but that's obviously not counted in the above, as it's not a backup.

The backup at my parents is encrypted and it's like my last resort copy. But if you know someone who also wants to do backups, it's a cheap way to get an offsite copy. You an reciprocate for them. Not sure if that was a dig, or just an attempt at humor.

I used to use Backblaze B2 and
...Show more →

Sorry.. no dig..just bad humor.. Great idea to backup to friend’s server.



Aug 13, 2026 at 09:06 PM
tsdevine
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · RE: ONLINE DATA BACKUP RECS???


bwcolor wrote:
Sorry.. no dig..just bad humor.. Great idea to backup to friend’s server.


No worries...probably more just paranoia on my part.



Aug 13, 2026 at 09:07 PM
pingflood
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · RE: ONLINE DATA BACKUP RECS???


chez wrote:
You want fast, reliable and cheap…good luck.


Yeah, it's the usual "pick two" there.

I use iDrive because it's pretty cheap and works well on my Mac. Fast it ain't but who cares if it sits and uploads for a day or two after I import a ton of images from a card.



Aug 14, 2026 at 01:01 AM
MikeEvangelist
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · RE: ONLINE DATA BACKUP RECS???


I heartily recommend BackBlaze. Excellent price and features, fast uploads, reasonable CPU load, solid company. I currently have about 60TBs backed up with them.

If you have fast internet upload speeds, it's unbeatable.

(related info: I used to be CMO at BackBlaze's main competitor, CrashPlan. I was always impressed with their product and company.)



Aug 14, 2026 at 08:53 AM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · RE: ONLINE DATA BACKUP RECS???


tsdevine wrote...probably more just paranoia on my part.

When it comes to backups of critical files, if you aren’t a bit paranoid you are probably not using a serious enough backup plan. ;-)

As a person who once had a device holding all photographic files go south in a non-recoverable way, and then discovered at that critical moment that the primary backup also had a problem, I was very happy that i had more than one backup system in place.

I’m not using a cloud backup at this point — though I can understand why people do — but here’s what I have:

1. My main system with its internal system SSD and an attached volume holding over 13TB of image files.

2. An automated hourly backup to another machine on the internal network at my location.

3. An automated daily backup to another machine attached volume.

4. A weekly automated backup to one of two additional volumes. One is directly attached to the computer and the other is stored at an offsite location. These two are switched every couple of weeks.

I figure that if the crater from the meteor takes out both my location and the remote location where that last set is stored and all of my files are gone… it won’t matter much since it probably took me out, too. ;-)



Aug 14, 2026 at 09:13 AM
amv8
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · RE: ONLINE DATA BACKUP RECS???


MikeEvangelist wrote:
I heartily recommend BackBlaze. Excellent price and features, fast uploads, reasonable CPU load, solid company. I currently have about 60TBs backed up with them.

If you have fast internet upload speeds, it's unbeatable.

(related info: I used to be CMO at BackBlaze's main competitor, CrashPlan. I was always impressed with their product and company.)


I use both BackBlaze and iDrive (for redundancy). BackBlaze is easy to set up, but it never worked properly for my configuration which uses a portable external SSD disk that I use on both my laptop and desktop). I went back and forth with BackBlaze support for literally several years, and they could never make it work. I gave up trying a couple of years ago. The other thing to be aware of with BackBlaze is the UI will tell you that you are backed up as of a certain date/time and that typically is not correct, the latest backup is typically from hours earlier. WRT cloud backups in general (as mentioned above), I have a fast symmetrical internet connection so uploads are generally quick. Many folks have asymmetric connections (fast download/slow upload) which of course can make image file backups very time consuming (sometimes days depending on the amount of data).




Aug 14, 2026 at 03:31 PM
Todd Warnke
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · RE: ONLINE DATA BACKUP RECS???


I use BackBlaze for clients. Quick, easy to check, easy to restore. For personal use where it is more of a true off-site BU, I use IDrive. The price is right, the footprint is small, and it just works.


Aug 14, 2026 at 05:43 PM
petersm59
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · RE: ONLINE DATA BACKUP RECS???


BackBlaze.

I have over 40 tb of my own, and about 70 tb at work with them. I have three raid 5 drives, one at home and two at work.

I haven't had to use them to retrieve anything, so far. Now of course I'll have a massive failure. A friend was using BackBlaze, had a drive fail and he was able to get a drive shipped to him with all of his data. He didn't lose any data.

It costs me $99.00. Cheap, easy, infinite, secure, and as fast as your internet speed allows for upload.

I'd say it's a good deal.

Use this code and we both get a month free: https://secure.backblaze.com/r/01vfw2



Aug 22, 2026 at 08:21 PM
Jeffrey
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · RE: ONLINE DATA BACKUP RECS???


Backblaze. Unlimited storage. Automated, Stats and reported always available. Good deal. Publicly traded company. You do have fiber optic internet, don't you? Get that too.


Sep 01, 2026 at 06:58 PM
Jman13
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · RE: ONLINE DATA BACKUP RECS???


Another vote for BackBlaze. I have 39TB backed up with them now. Mostly I’ve just done spot restores every once in a while but once I had a 10TB drive fail and was able to get everything back within a few days, just downloading.


Sep 01, 2026 at 11:32 PM
       2       end






FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

       2       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account