fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1              end
  

RE: ONLINE DATA BACKUP RECS???

  
 
MikeEvangelist
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · RE: ONLINE DATA BACKUP RECS???


Jeffrey wrote:
You do have fiber optic internet, don't you? Get that too.


+100 on that. If it's available in your area, it's a game changer for large online backups.



Sep 02, 2026 at 09:55 AM
Jman13
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · RE: ONLINE DATA BACKUP RECS???


Absolutely - recently I added a bunch of data from media backups (tens of TBs) and with my old cable internet (which was fast down, but limited to just 30Mbps up), I was estimated to have 45 days to complete the backup. I switched to gigabit fiber, with symmetric upload, and the backup completed in under 3 days. When I do a shoot, and have like 15 GB of files, it completes the backup in just a few minutes.


Sep 02, 2026 at 10:10 AM
johnvanr
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · RE: ONLINE DATA BACKUP RECS???


I use Backblaze as well, with the option of saving data for a year. This has saved me after I deleted files by mistake and I could retrieve from Backblaze.


Sep 02, 2026 at 11:43 AM
kbrede
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · RE: ONLINE DATA BACKUP RECS???


+1 on iDrive. That's what I've been using.


Sep 09, 2026 at 01:22 PM
mranger211
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · RE: ONLINE DATA BACKUP RECS???


If you are not averse to a DIY-sih setup: I would recommend the Backrest client, which is essentially a UI for restic/rclone (https://github.com/garethgeorge/backrest). It is open source, which to me was important, and extraordinarily flexible with keeping older snapshots etc.
I use it to send encrypted backups to a storage box at Hetzner. That's about the cheapest off-line solution I could find. Upload speeds vary depending on the time of day, but I have never had any major issues.
Backblaze is much easier to set up. I used to use it but found that they did not properly back up all my files. That was a while ago, though.



Sep 11, 2026 at 01:01 PM
1              end






FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1              end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account