fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

What do you experts consider to be a safe auto ISO range for my R8?

  
 
John Power
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · What do you experts consider to be a safe auto ISO range for my R8?


I'm thinking 100 to 1600. When I set it on auto ISO I just want to make sure that I get a photo that is not shall I say" overly affected" by a high ISO setting like maybe 6400.


Aug 06, 2026 at 04:47 PM
Mike_5D
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · What do you experts consider to be a safe auto ISO range for my R8?


Whatever ISO gives you the depth of field and shutter speed you need. Noise is fixable. The others are not.


Aug 06, 2026 at 04:50 PM
artsupreme
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · What do you experts consider to be a safe auto ISO range for my R8?


6400 is fine by me. The NR tools we have today are amazing.


Aug 06, 2026 at 04:55 PM
TomSchriefer
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · What do you experts consider to be a safe auto ISO range for my R8?


Up front, I don't get paid for any camera work. I do care what my photos look like. I don't use any 'special' noise handling software. When I was using full-frame 6DII, my default max ISO was 12,800. On aps-c (80D/90D) I used 6400. I now use an R10, and max default is 12,800 on that. I find that nobody (besides photogs) really give a FFA about noise. When sharing down-sized photos online, sending photos to digital picture frame, prints up to 8x10, those ISOs are just fine. The higher ISOs need a bit of attention, but nothing serious. Pixel-peeping and looking at 11x17 photos from 12" away makes noise look worse than it really is. I don't do that... anymore.

Edited on Aug 19, 2026 at 04:50 AM · View previous versions



Aug 08, 2026 at 08:41 AM
Jman13
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · What do you experts consider to be a safe auto ISO range for my R8?


When I shot with the R8 I got very nice results even at very high ISO. Modern NR software is so good that even ISO 12,800 and 25,600 can yield good results for most situations. Depending on what you’re shooting, is how I’d deal with the high end. For general shooting, 6400 would probably where I’d top out, but for wildlife/birds I wouldn’t have any issue setting 12,800 or higher to maintain the shutter speed needed.

Here’s an ISO 10,000 shot on the R8:






100% crop with just default LR settings:






And 100% crop denoised (this was several years ago and LR’s AI denoise is even better than this now IMO at preserving a natural look.)







Aug 08, 2026 at 08:48 AM
JohnDizzo15
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · What do you experts consider to be a safe auto ISO range for my R8?


All the way up sans expanded options. As others have stated, NR in post (with plenty of options now) is better than it has ever been. DxO, AiArty, and sometimes LR Denoise FTW.


Aug 08, 2026 at 10:33 AM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · What do you experts consider to be a safe auto ISO range for my R8?


John Power wrote:
I'm thinking 100 to 1600. When I set it on auto ISO I just want to make sure that I get a photo that is not shall I say" overly affected" by a high ISO setting like maybe 6400.


Despite the low-grade body, the sensor is in line with most all modern Canons. As others have mentioned NR can improve images, but the lower the ISO the better and having a good exposure is important at high ISOs. I don't know what you photograph and why, so that bears consideration.

EBH



Aug 08, 2026 at 05:16 PM
Ferrophot
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · What do you experts consider to be a safe auto ISO range for my R8?


I use whatever ensures the shot. I can tolerate a bit of noise but can't use an image with motion blur. Trains at night up to 25,000 on my R6, but I try to keep it lower at the expense of some depth of field shortness. I think with modern FF cameras ISO is the last of the three adjustables (shutter, aperture, ISO) to worry about.


Aug 08, 2026 at 11:13 PM
John Power
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · What do you experts consider to be a safe auto ISO range for my R8?


EB-1 wrote:
Despite the low-grade body, the sensor is in line with most all modern Canons. As others have mentioned NR can improve images, but the lower the ISO the better and having a good exposure is important at high ISOs. I don't know what you photograph and why, so that bears consideration.

EBH


What do you mean by a low grade body? It looks and feels good in my hands to me and produces very nice photographs. The body is no 1DMKIIN but I do not want to lug that around anyhow. I photograph anything I see that I want to take a photo of. People, animals, big plumbing fixtures outside of buildings, people, flowers, etc., etc



Aug 09, 2026 at 05:47 AM
Steve Spencer
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · What do you experts consider to be a safe auto ISO range for my R8?


John Power wrote:
What do you mean by a low grade body? It looks and feels good in my hands to me and produces very nice photographs. The body is no 1DMKIIN but I do not want to lug that around anyhow. I photograph anything I see that I want to take a photo of. People, animals, big plumbing fixtures outside of buildings, people, flowers, etc., etc


There are some things missing in the R8 that I for one really appreciate. It doesn't have a full mechanical shutter. It doesn't have IBIS. It doesn't have a top LCD panel. So it is clearly missing a few things that higher level cameras from Canon have. The sensor, however, is quite good and the same sensor as in the R6 MK II. It isn't super high resolution, but has very good sensor scan speed making the electronic shutter a lot more useful, and most relevant to the current thread its high ISO performance is very competitive with any camera Canon makes and FF cameras from other manufacturers as well.



Aug 09, 2026 at 08:15 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · What do you experts consider to be a safe auto ISO range for my R8?


John Power wrote:
What do you mean by a low grade body? It looks and feels good in my hands to me and produces very nice photographs. The body is no 1DMKIIN but I do not want to lug that around anyhow. I photograph anything I see that I want to take a photo of. People, animals, big plumbing fixtures outside of buildings, people, flowers, etc., etc


People complained I used "cheaply" too often. I have been informed by Marketing that it should be termed Entry Level.

Here are the prices at Canon USA for the main FF bodies (previous MAP) not counting video or astro and older bodies hanging around in inventory.

R8: $1500 (1649)
R6 II: $2100 (2300)
R6 III: $2800
R5 II: $4100 (4400)
R3: $4400
R1: $6800

The R8 in particular is heavily stripped of features, but the sensor noise is similar to the other modern Canon bodies.

EBH



Aug 09, 2026 at 10:25 AM
Uarctos
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · What do you experts consider to be a safe auto ISO range for my R8?


Depends on the subject, especially if it has fine texture and the need for crop.


Aug 09, 2026 at 12:11 PM
davinci953
Online
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · What do you experts consider to be a safe auto ISO range for my R8?




What do you mean by a low grade body? It looks and feels good in my hands to me and produces very nice photographs. The body is no 1DMKIIN but I do not want to lug that around anyhow. I photograph anything I see that I want to take a photo of. People, animals, big plumbing fixtures outside of buildings, people, flowers, etc., etc


The R8 is considered an entry-level camera because it doesn't have some of the features that others have outlined. What it does have is the same sensor, processor, and AF as those in the EOS R6 II. If it meets your need, that's all that matters. It's still a very capable camera.

For casual shooting, ISO isn't too much of an issue. Any unwanted noise can usually be cleaned up in post.

Edited on Aug 09, 2026 at 05:40 PM · View previous versions



Aug 09, 2026 at 12:50 PM
Mike_5D
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · What do you experts consider to be a safe auto ISO range for my R8?


The R8 is Canon's entry level full frame mirrorless camera, but far from an entry level camera.


Aug 09, 2026 at 01:08 PM
John Power
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · What do you experts consider to be a safe auto ISO range for my R8?


Every person I have given pictures to that I've taken with this camera loves them so I guess I'm not missing those 50 extra features so far


Aug 09, 2026 at 07:45 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · What do you experts consider to be a safe auto ISO range for my R8?


Mostly nobody will see the differences in IQ with the same lens on an R1, R6 II and R8, but the ability to capture the image may depend substantially on the camera. The R8 has not the MS, only EFCS, and the ES is just about 1/68 so there are limitations for action.

EBH



Aug 10, 2026 at 12:47 AM
TomSchriefer
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · What do you experts consider to be a safe auto ISO range for my R8?


Using something less than absolute cutting-edge gear is nothing to be defensive about. Shoot what you like. People are really fickle. I shot film until about 2021. One day I'd get grief from other shooters about using an EOS apsc and a kit lens that was a few generations old. The next day I'd get, "Cool camera! What is it?" over my Mamiya VI 4b, or Rollieflex. Five years old is ancient, worthless crap. Seventy years old is fantastic sfuff. Go figure.


Aug 19, 2026 at 05:00 AM
Jman13
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · What do you experts consider to be a safe auto ISO range for my R8?


The funny thing about the R8 is that, aside from the battery life, and physical construction/size, it would have been considered an absolute monster of a camera, with flagship level performance, just a few years ago. It’s only because we have other cameras that have even more features that it is “entry level” in comparison.

The R8 is essentially an R6 II with a few things cut back, notably a smaller battery, worse EVF, no IBIS, lower mechanical framerate, and fewer control points. AF, sensor, general performance are all the same or extremely close and there’s very little one couldn’t do with that camera.



Aug 19, 2026 at 05:59 AM
John Power
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · What do you experts consider to be a safe auto ISO range for my R8?


All I can say is it's working for me just like all my other Canon cameras in the past 20 some years worked for me. People can talk about it doesn't have this it doesn't have that in an effort to make the camera sound like it is somehow defective but for most of us it is a wonderful fully functional high end but still affordable camera


Aug 19, 2026 at 08:53 AM







FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account