fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4              end
  

what did you guys do with your EF lenses ?

  
 
mdvaden
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · what did you guys do with your EF lenses ?


Danpbphoto wrote:
The young man is in fine physical shape! That is one HUGE tree!
I love my 5DSR's...I am awaiting a large mpx Canon mirrorless body. Then I will "take the plunge".
Nice composition!
Dan



Thy young man is rather fit. First time I met him and his sister. They are the children of my friend and photography Mentor, Frank, who asked if we could meetup in the redwoods.

RE higher megapixels, I sold ultra wide angle lenses and started shooting composites in the redwood forest with 50mm, 85mm, even 135mm, taking 4 to 12 frames of a scene and merging into large image files for potential huge prints or just regular if needed. So the 45mp or 50mp is ample where waves don't change, etc.. Whenever I shoot for a composite to merge I always start with a single shot though, then swap the lens.









Aug 08, 2026 at 01:44 PM
Danpbphoto
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · what did you guys do with your EF lenses ?


Jman13 wrote:
My 5Ds R did a wonderful job when I went to the smokies last week. Used the 16-35/2.8L III, 24-70/4L and 70-300L. Still an absolutely fantastic camera for landscape, and all three lenses are able to make use of the 50MP sensor.


These are STUNNING Jordan!
Were you hand-holding for the stream blur?

I have hand tremors and found out the hard way, I can ONLY shoot this type of image with IBIS(my Fuji GFX), OIS, or IS.....These are beautiful! Much can be said about Landscape in sun..but drama wise...overcast...summer..everything pops!
Dan




Aug 08, 2026 at 02:26 PM
Jman13
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #3 · what did you guys do with your EF lenses ?


I always use a tripod for landscape work.


Aug 08, 2026 at 03:43 PM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #4 · what did you guys do with your EF lenses ?


Jman13 wrote:
My 5Ds R did a wonderful job when I went to the smokies last week. Used the 16-35/2.8L III, 24-70/4L and 70-300L. Still an absolutely fantastic camera for landscape, and all three lenses are able to make use of the 50MP sensor.


I seem to recall you were recently invested in Nikon mirrorless. If you're still using that system, why not use it for this trip? I mean, are you using the Canon system just for a challenge or nostalgia?



Aug 08, 2026 at 05:51 PM
Jman13
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #5 · what did you guys do with your EF lenses ?


rscheffler wrote:
I seem to recall you were recently invested in Nikon mirrorless. If you're still using that system, why not use it for this trip? I mean, are you using the Canon system just for a challenge or nostalgia?


I had bought a 5D II for nostalgia and found I was really enjoying it. Ended up building a very nice little EF kit for a reasonable amount and for low ISO landscape work the 5DsR on the whole produces better images than my Z5 II. The detail is honestly astonishing. I did use my Z50 II with tiny lenses for some lightweight travel shots (those are posted in the Nikon Z images thread)

I also just recently picked up an R6 II to shoot the EF glass on a mirrorless body and am finding it really nice. I may end up switching back to Canon wholesale, but am going to shoot both for a bit to figure out what I want to do. There are pros and cons to both.

On the Canon side I prefer the ergonomics and several of the control features, the AF is better, and a few little things that make life easier, such as the fact the EVF sensor switches off when the screen is flipped out, focus stacking in camera and such.


On the Nikon side the EVF is better on my Z5 II, the third party lens options are far more plentiful and such. Image quality is pretty much a wash and native glass has pros and cons on each side.



Aug 08, 2026 at 06:15 PM
1       2       3       4              end






FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4              end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account