fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5       end
  

what did you guys do with your EF lenses ?

  
 
MintMar
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · what did you guys do with your EF lenses ?


Pixelpuffin wrote:
(...)
When I use these and then switch back to my EF system I always ALWAYS wonder why I bought into the R stuff? And yet the R stuff nails focus everytime, I can “see” the exposure in real-time. It’s lighter, more compact…etc etc
(...)


Getting accurate focus was my my big pain in the beginning of using EOS from my 350D through 30D, until I got the beater but 100% working 1D2n in 2009 and got as best "nailing focus" DSLR as I've ever known (later I got 400D, 40D, borrowed 7D, bought second hand 1D3 that could not hold a candle to the 1D2n), until I bought 100D for video experiments, and found out it was very close to that 1D2n. Not in speed, but in accuracy. That made me finally go for the FF with 6D, which was also pretty close to the 1D2n.

The R6/2 AF is far better than anything I've owned before, only the DSLRs with live view AF get there. So while I kept 6D and 200D for the rare cases that I'd need a second camera, they don't see much action anymore. The phase detect AF on the latter DSLRs was pretty good, but even in case of high precision focus points it had some wiggle room, which it could not improve upon. RF has no wiggle room, therefore it takes that last drop of sharpness that you might or might not have included by your DSLR in the intended plane of focus and it adds it there every time, basically improving all your lenses a tiny bit.

Thus I cannot really go back to DSLRs as main cameras, maybe if juice was rare, maybe then. But RF basically removed an old pain as if it was a magic surgeon.



Aug 01, 2026 at 03:08 PM
Pixelpuffin
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · what did you guys do with your EF lenses ?




tomba8tomba wrote:
I’d be annoyed by the bad buys rather than buying even more of them. 3 RF-bodies plus 15 RF-lenses 🙄


The R system is the smallest system I currently have.
Both Pentax and Canon dslr and ef-m combined dwarf it.

My current favourite is Pentax. Only discovered them 3yrs ago.

If I could only keep one brand
It would be Pentax. For all its short comings there’s something there that canon missed. The ergonomics and rear interface are superb. It’s definitely a photographers camera. The AF can’t touch canon nor can the video … but the files when it all comes together are incredible…..3yrs on and I’m still learning it!!

Superb system








Aug 01, 2026 at 03:11 PM
tomba8tomba
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #3 · what did you guys do with your EF lenses ?




Pixelpuffin wrote:
…If I could only keep one brand It would be Pentax. …
The ergonomics and rear interface are superb.…..
3yrs on and I’m still learning it!!
Superb system


Such a long learning curve would be unacceptable to me.
But I’m really happy for you that you’ve finally found the right camera system for you




Aug 01, 2026 at 04:16 PM
Pixelpuffin
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #4 · what did you guys do with your EF lenses ?



tomba8tomba wrote:
Such a long learning curve would be unacceptable to me.
But I’m really happy for you that you’ve finally found the right camera system for you



It’s because they are both great systems
Canon is so easy to use, they are practically smartphones with handles these days… like playing hook a duck. Whereas Pentax isn't so easy and as I say the AF is crude by modern standards…it’s a photographers camera and doesn’t reward fools gladly…you have to put some effort in!!
The best way I can describe Pentax is it’s like digital film camera, you need your wits about you otherwise it just won’t deliver .

To sum up

Canon is basically a tart, designed solely to make everyone happy
Pentax is the mysterious one that tells you to get lost.

They are both great

I’m grateful to have both 👍🏻



Aug 02, 2026 at 01:26 AM
Danpbphoto
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #5 · what did you guys do with your EF lenses ?


Pixelpuffin wrote:
It’s because they are both great systems
Canon is so easy to use, they are practically smartphones with handles these days… like playing hook a duck. Whereas Pentax isn't so easy and as I say the AF is crude by modern standards…it’s a photographers camera and doesn’t reward fools gladly…you have to put some effort in!!
The best way I can describe Pentax is it’s like digital film camera, you need your wits about you otherwise it just won’t deliver .

To sum up

Canon is basically a tart, designed solely to make everyone happy
Pentax is the mysterious one that tells you to get
...Show more →
I have found that with my Fuji GFX "system"-mirrorless and Canon dslrs...

It is overwhelming at times....well it WAS overwhelming..I am NOT using the cameras "processing" of an image to full extent...I prefer to do it more basically in ACR..there is TOO much in FujiGFX for ME.
The 100s ii is "set up" for very basic "me"..Tv..manual lens adjust of Av...
Dan




Aug 02, 2026 at 01:20 PM
Coltrane
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #6 · what did you guys do with your EF lenses ?


I kept all my EF lenses and use them on my Sony and Fuji cameras. I get excellent AF with adapters and have no plans on selling any of them.


Aug 02, 2026 at 08:03 PM
Uarctos
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #7 · what did you guys do with your EF lenses ?


No RF lens in my inventory, so I'm using rhem.


Aug 03, 2026 at 07:10 AM
anana.fm
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #8 · what did you guys do with your EF lenses ?


I am in the same boat. I do love my Sigma EF lenses though even heavy as they are. Like was said earlier, if you are not using the lens at least once in a while then selling is better while there is still some value. The issue for me is selling when I have only been a member for a few years, bought many things, and reasonable volume of feedback (all positive). How do I get a buyer to trust me for a timely and proper sale of small and large dollar items?




Aug 03, 2026 at 09:28 AM
jcolwell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #9 · what did you guys do with your EF lenses ?


anana.fm wrote:
I am in the same boat. I do love my Sigma EF lenses though even heavy as they are. Like was said earlier, if you are not using the lens at least once in a while then selling is better while there is still some value. The issue for me is selling when I have only been a member for a few years, bought many things, and reasonable volume of feedback (all positive). How do I get a buyer to trust me for a timely and proper sale of small and large dollar items?



For starters, I'd accept payment from PayPal for Goods & Services, and not ask the buyer to cover the 3% fee (or whatever it is now). Just include it in the asking price. It's totally in the noise, anyway. Especially, if you are prepared to negotiate price.

Also, like most good B&S listings, provide good photos of the items, and a description that anticipates most questions. For example, "the glass is clean and clear, with no fungus, haze, scratches, or marks", or as appropriate.

P.S. you'll get more B&S hints, if you post a thread about it in the General Gear and/or Forum forum.



Aug 03, 2026 at 10:57 AM
anana.fm
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #10 · what did you guys do with your EF lenses ?


Another reason for “down sizing” is the progressive weight restrictions for carry on luggage with air travel. Appreciate the guidance from the group.


Aug 03, 2026 at 03:25 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

jtford9
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #11 · what did you guys do with your EF lenses ?


I was blown away by the R5 from the very first time using it. I spent a couple of weeks trying to decide if I should keep the 5DIV or the original R as a backup. Ended up trading in both and picked up a second R5.
I tried using my EF lenses (Canon & Sigma Art) with the EF/RF adapters but just couldn’t get used to them. I have a plate in my right wrist/hand and some reconstruction on my left hand. The added length of the converter with the front heavier EF lenses was definitely noticeable.

After that it became a 2 year transition from EF lenses to RF. I did a like for like sell/trade-in. The EF and Art 50’s were sold to get the RF 50L, same for the 85’s. The EF70-200 and Art 135 helped pay for the RF 70-200. The EF100-400L and 16-35 and 100 macro went for the RF 100-500, 15-35 and 100 macro. And so on and so forth. The very last EF lens I sold was the Sigma Art 20mm. I was hoping Canon would introduce a fast RF 20mm but it didn’t happen for a while and I haven’t pulled the trigger on it.

Even though several of the RF lenses are heavier than their EF predecessors the weight is closer to the camera body and the weight balances better for my hands.



Aug 03, 2026 at 09:35 PM
Danpbphoto
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #12 · what did you guys do with your EF lenses ?


ctgoldwing wrote:
Nice shots Dan. I had that lens and a pretty significant collection of EF L lenses. Other than the 200 1.8 that I sold a few years ago, I gave 2 of my sons who still shoot EF the entire group - plus a couple of bodies. The 400 2.8 was beast for me anyway

Thanks Jerry!
I had that 200mm&400 "beasts" also.
My 400f4 is still use regularly.

I am awaiting for Canon to release a big mpx "RF" body.

Thanks Jerry!
Dan




Aug 05, 2026 at 10:41 AM
Danpbphoto
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #13 · what did you guys do with your EF lenses ?


anana.fm wrote:
I am in the same boat. I do love my Sigma EF lenses though even heavy as they are. Like was said earlier, if you are not using the lens at least once in a while then selling is better while there is still some value. The issue for me is selling when I have only been a member for a few years, bought many things, and reasonable volume of feedback (all positive). How do I get a buyer to trust me for a timely and proper sale of small and large dollar items?


If you check my B&S feedback you will see I have purchased many items from people with NO feedback.
NEVER had 1 problem!

I vet the person heavily and I ALWAYS call and talk.

If my gut sez move on, I do....

I don't play the "net to me" game.....Price the item to MY DOOR.

Good luck!
Dan




Aug 05, 2026 at 10:44 AM
Danpbphoto
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #14 · what did you guys do with your EF lenses ?


jcolwell wrote:
For starters, I'd accept payment from PayPal for Goods & Services, and not ask the buyer to cover the 3% fee (or whatever it is now). Just include it in the asking price. It's totally in the noise, anyway. Especially, if you are prepared to negotiate price.

Also, like most good B&S listings, provide good photos of the items, and a description that anticipates most questions. For example, "the glass is clean and clear, with no fungus, haze, scratches, or marks", or as appropriate.

P.S. you'll get more B&S hints, if you post a thread about it in the General Gear and/or
...Show more →
Jim!!!
Dan




Aug 05, 2026 at 10:45 AM
bogeypro
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #15 · what did you guys do with your EF lenses ?


Still using the EF lenses, they didn't go bad when RF lenses were released


Aug 05, 2026 at 02:30 PM
ctgoldwing
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #16 · what did you guys do with your EF lenses ?


Danpbphoto wrote:
. . .

I am awaiting for Canon to release a big mpx "RF" body.

Thanks Jerry!
Dan



, I hate say it but so am I! I really like the R1 but for the past 2 years shooting birds I find I have switched to the R5 II mostly. I don't have really long glass so the extra pixels help. Every time I do take the R1 out for a run I am impressed with it tho. I just did some macro work with it and it is an amazing camera.



Aug 06, 2026 at 08:29 AM
mdvaden
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #17 · what did you guys do with your EF lenses ?


The 5DS was wonderful. I have an R5 and R6 but still pondering buying a 5DS or 5DSR again for a 3rd body. Actually, I think the 5DSR takes slightly better redwood photos than the R5. Near identical with something like 12x18 though. But sometimes I print 30 inches or more for a few folks.









Aug 07, 2026 at 11:45 PM
Danpbphoto
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #18 · what did you guys do with your EF lenses ?


mdvaden wrote:
The 5DS was wonderful. I have an R5 and R6 but still pondering buying a 5DS or 5DSR again for a 3rd body. Actually, I think the 5DSR takes slightly better redwood photos than the R5. Near identical with something like 12x18 though. But sometimes I print 30 inches or more for a few folks.


The young man is in fine physical shape! That is one HUGE tree!
I love my 5DSR's...I am awaiting a large mpx Canon mirrorless body. Then I will "take the plunge".
Nice composition!
Dan




Aug 08, 2026 at 10:58 AM
jcolwell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #19 · what did you guys do with your EF lenses ?


Danpbphoto wrote:
I love my 5DSR's...I am awaiting a large mpx Canon mirrorless body. Then I will "take the plunge".
Dan


Same here. I mostly use a 5DS and M5 & M6, with a 6D & SL2 on the side. There's nothing I can't do with my current gear, since I stopped shooting sports and wildlife (and sold my 1DX & 1DIV), about ten years ago. Although, my LTM and other non-EOS-compatible Alt lenses are getting impatient for a FF body. Too bad for them, that my next camera will probably be another M6.



Aug 08, 2026 at 01:25 PM
Jman13
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #20 · what did you guys do with your EF lenses ?


My 5Ds R did a wonderful job when I went to the smokies last week. Used the 16-35/2.8L III, 24-70/4L and 70-300L. Still an absolutely fantastic camera for landscape, and all three lenses are able to make use of the 50MP sensor.






































Aug 08, 2026 at 01:38 PM
1       2       3              5       end






FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account