fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

  

Non-Camera Bags That Work as Camera Bags?

  
 
tofunjay
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Non-Camera Bags That Work as Camera Bags?


Hey guys,
I’ve been trying to find a good everyday bag that doesn’t look like a camera bag but still works well for carrying a small kit. I like heritage-style bags for both security and aesthetics, and I’ve tried a couple of options that came close.
The Barbour Tarras (with leather flap) was probably the closest. A Billingham insert fit perfectly and the size/materials were great, but the waxed fabric felt a bit thin and the leather buckle straps were slow to use, so I usually left them undone.
I also tried the Uniqlo nylon messenger. It was cheap, practical, and the same insert fit (a bit tight), but the bag looked and felt cheap and was really only comfortable with smaller rangefinder-style cameras.
I’ve heard people mention the Filson Medium Field Bag as an option, but haven’t used it myself.
Curious what non-camera bags you’ve found that work well as camera bags—especially heritage or low-key options that don’t draw attention but are still practical to shoot out of.



Jul 15, 2026 at 02:40 PM
chez
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Non-Camera Bags That Work as Camera Bags?


I think you’ll stand out from the crowd with a bag like the Barbour Tarras. I have a beat up Osprey backpack that I use for travels. It blends right in with so many other people carrying their stuff in backpacks.

Once you have a camera out…all your secrecy is gone. Personally I’d look for comfort as the major driving factor.



Jul 15, 2026 at 02:45 PM
tofunjay
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Non-Camera Bags That Work as Camera Bags?


You make a great point. I tend to avoid backpacks because<at the risk of TMI> I tend to sweat alot so I try to avoid them. I did see some backpacks have new back ventilation systems now. I used the older Osprey Talon 21L during my hiking trip in Washington this past month and had mixed results. What model osprey do you use if you don't mind me asking?


Jul 15, 2026 at 05:36 PM
Happydan
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Non-Camera Bags That Work as Camera Bags?


I know this is waaaay out there, but it’s what I use
Colombian Mochillas - handmade cotton bags w draw-strings by the Wayuu tribe or sturdier the sheep-wool handmade versions by the Aruhuaco tribe.
It takes one lady approx 3 months to weave a single
Bag. There’s simpler options from Guatemala - I’ve got some that I can sell.

Either put a small/medium sized camera cube or bag (I like the crimper brand) into the mochilla or lenses in neoprene bags

I know this is totally out of the ordinary, but you did ask ;-)

Edited on Jul 15, 2026 at 07:49 PM · View previous versions



Jul 15, 2026 at 07:30 PM
Happydan
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Non-Camera Bags That Work as Camera Bags?


Also, the peak design everyday sling works well for a camera and two lenses
I have the 6L version in gray - inconspicuous enough.
If you are packing a light rangefinder setup, the 3L might be enough - but you’ll have to assess how much you’ll be carrying out and about!

https://www.peakdesign.com/products/everyday-sling?Size=6L&Color=Black



Jul 15, 2026 at 07:34 PM
tofunjay
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Non-Camera Bags That Work as Camera Bags?


No not at all. I like hearing about people loadouts that don't use mainstream methods. And this is definitely not mainstream.


Happydan wrote:
I know this is waaaay out there, but it’s what I use
Colombian Mochillas - handmade cotton bags w draw-strings by the Wayuu tribe or sturdier the sheep-wool handmade versions by the Aruhuaco tribe.
It takes one lady approx 3 months to weave a single
Bag. There’s simpler options from Guatemala - I’ve got some that I can sell.

Either put a small/medium sized camera cube or bag (I like the crimper brand) into the mochilla or lenses in neoprene bags

I know this is totally out of the ordinary, but you did ask ;-)





Jul 15, 2026 at 11:33 PM
vbnut
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Non-Camera Bags That Work as Camera Bags?


tofunjay wrote:
You make a great point. I tend to avoid backpacks because<at the risk of TMI> I tend to sweat alot so I try to avoid them. I did see some backpacks have new back ventilation systems now. I used the older Osprey Talon 21L during my hiking trip in Washington this past month and had mixed results. What model osprey do you use if you don't mind me asking?


I'm not Chez, but I recommend the Osprey Stratos/Sirrus packs. Anything with the AirSpeed™ Suspension should be good. The first one Stratos I purchased was used to carry clothes and other stuff on my daily run or bike to/from work (in California where it can be pretty hot). I did have to shower after I arrived at work, but the AirSpeed™ Suspension definitely kept my back cooler/dryer, and the stuff inside the pack completely dry. They have several sizes, and I've had more than one across multiple generations of the pack. I currently use my old Stratos 24 for 1 to 6 hour hikes with my Canon R5II, 100-500, 1.4X, microphone (in a case), monopod, plus personal items. I've also taken advantage of Osprey's lifetime warranty a couple of times.



Jul 16, 2026 at 12:18 AM
johnvanr
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · Non-Camera Bags That Work as Camera Bags?


I have the Filson 24-hour briefcase and it’s a great bag, esp with a good insert, like the Billingham ones.

But with today’s flight hassle, a lot of bags, including the Filson, are too heavy for me as a starting point. I now want a bag that’s sturdy and light as a feather. Enter the Uniqlo multi-pocket shoulder bag (apparently a close copy of a celebrated expensive Japanese bag). I use that with a Billingham insert. Last I checked, the bag was out of stock in many places, though.



Jul 16, 2026 at 12:56 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

CharleyL
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · Non-Camera Bags That Work as Camera Bags?


For smaller rectangular shoulder bags, consider the nylon lunch bags. In most cases, you will likely want the ones designed for 8 or 12 cans. The ones hat I have came from Walmart. I can get one of my Canon 77D and attached Tamron 18-200 mm lenses in there if the lens hood is reversed.

I have a smaller, bright red 6 can size that I keep my meds and testers in, along with emergency protein bars and meds. I'm a diabetic heart patient (10 heart surgeries) and carry this bag with me wherever I go. Since it looks like it has Lunch in it, I have never had anyone try to steal it. In restaurants, they don't want anyone bringing food in, but showing them the contents and telling them why I carry it, lets me in without further troubles. It frequently sits on the right front seat next to me in the car with the windows open, and nobody has grabbed it, even when I leave the car in the parking lot to run into a store for something (nobody steals lunch bags in the afternoon when the bag likely only contains food scraps, paper, and empty zip lock sandwich bags).

I also have some "Shooters Bags", as in "gun shooters". These come in many sizes and are priced lower than camera bags of the same or similar size. They are designed mostly for the Shotgun Crowd, to carry their boxes of shells, or for the guys carrying their pistol and ammo to the range for target practice. One of these bags that I have was bought 26 years ago to carry 3 1/2" Floppy Disks to support my Sony Mavica MVC-FD98 2.1 mega pixel camera (still have it, but almost never use it now). At full resolution, that camera filled a 3 1/2" Floppy Disk with 4 photos in jpg format. The bag held 80 Floppy Disks plus spare batteries. I also had a large fanny pack that held about 16 Floppy Disks at a time. Facing left, the Floppies were ready to use, facing right, they had photos on them. I managed to get two spare rechargeable batteries for the camera in there too.

Charley



Jul 16, 2026 at 07:14 AM
meraviglioso
Online
•
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · Non-Camera Bags That Work as Camera Bags?


My favorite non camera bag that works like it was meant to be one is my Bedouin Foundry Poacher. My 7l insert fits like it was made for it, and you'd never know that I had a camera in it. Until, like someone said up thread, I pulled said camera out. Also going to give an honorable mention to my Defy Defender Daytripper, which was absolutely perfect for getting my m43 kit into countless shows unnoticed, but doesn't quite accommodate my leica SL bodies so well.

Dennis



Jul 16, 2026 at 09:46 PM
tofunjay
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · Non-Camera Bags That Work as Camera Bags?


meraviglioso wrote:
My favorite non camera bag that works like it was meant to be one is my Bedouin Foundry Poacher. My 7l insert fits like it was made for it, and you'd never know that I had a camera in it. Until, like someone said up thread, I pulled said camera out. Also going to give an honorable mention to my Defy Defender Daytripper, which was absolutely perfect for getting my m43 kit into countless shows unnoticed, but doesn't quite accommodate my leica SL bodies so well.

Dennis


I never even considered those. I'm going to check them out. I love the feedback. I think I get bombarded with so many ads on a daily basis that I tend to forget there are so many other options out there.



Jul 16, 2026 at 09:53 PM
meraviglioso
Online
•
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · Non-Camera Bags That Work as Camera Bags?


tofunjay wrote:
I never even considered those. I'm going to check them out. I love the feedback. I think I get bombarded with so many ads on a daily basis that I tend to forget there are so many other options out there.


I will say that with the exchange rate Bedouin Foundry bags hurt a bit to buy. But their bags are something that you'll be able to pass on to your grandkids. Defy bags last forever as well, and are made in Chicago. If you're interested, I have a Defy Recon Mini in Horween Cordovan leather that gets no use that may fit the bill. Holds about 6l so you could hold something like a leica Sl2 with a 28-70 lens attached and a tablet.

Dennis



Jul 16, 2026 at 10:07 PM
aryaah
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · Non-Camera Bags That Work as Camera Bags?


I agree with the exceptional construction of the Defy bags. I own two different types and they are great for travel or every day use. Very comfortable with thoughtful features. I’ve used my Defy bags to carry cameras and lenses by either using an appropriately sized camera insert or wrapping the gear for protection. Their website will provide helpful information to facilitate a decision.


Jul 17, 2026 at 02:01 PM
mranger211
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · Non-Camera Bags That Work as Camera Bags?


I can highly recommend the Greenroom136 Metromonger, Metrorunner and Quickdraw. They also make a camera insert that can very easily be taken out. Fantastic quality, and very functional bags overall.


Jul 27, 2026 at 12:00 PM
tofunjay
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · Non-Camera Bags That Work as Camera Bags?


Never heard of that one. I have to look it up. I live all these options. Keep them coming.

mranger211 wrote:
I can highly recommend the Greenroom136 Metromonger, Metrorunner and Quickdraw. They also make a camera insert that can very easily be taken out. Fantastic quality, and very functional bags overall.




Jul 27, 2026 at 12:19 PM
GeofFX
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · Non-Camera Bags That Work as Camera Bags?


Well it doesn't help you out any, but I am currently using a promo lunch cooler bag (from The Skating Club of Boston) to protect my Z8 and a short lens, I added a bit of internal padding to it. In the interim, I am taking my time thinking and shopping, before I actually buy a real camera case-bag for it. Maybe just for fun I'll throw an ice pack in to a small Tamac day bag and carry my sandwich and drink in it....


Jul 31, 2026 at 12:54 PM







FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account