Connecting flight late. I now allow 2 hour connection in Denver. My united status gets me in first 2 groups. No problem domestically since then although air tags needed as Denver keeps misdirecting bags. Last were forwarded to LA not Chicago inspite of what computer
system said.
chez wrote:
Bottom line with the stated carryon weight limits, the airlines can check the weights at any time. It’s up to you how you handle that one time the airlines decides to weigh carryons. I always ensure my carryon weight is within the published weight limits of all flights on my agenda.
I have gone through two flights where carryon luggage was weighed.
Absolutely true - and recognizing that I was overweight I had a plan to address if it came to that (pull my insert and check the backpack). If you have a single body+lens that pretty much take you to the weight limit, you don't really have much choice.
The issue with pushing the weight/size limits is that running into problems could be a "low probability, high impact" situation.
In other words, I think that the odds of getting challenged for being slightly over size and more than slightly over weight limits are generally low. Airlines simply cannot afford the personnel and the time to measure and weigh every piece of carryon luggage and are thus only likely to typically call out obvious violations. (We've all seem people bring over-limit carry-on stuff on board.)
But they do check sometimes. It is one thing if the result is just the inconvenience of quickly moving some stuff from your luggage to your person and then having to head to the baggage claim at the end of your flight. It is quite another if they want to throw $20k-$30k of camera/lens gear in a soft-sided camera pack into the hold and then run it through the baggage claim system at your destination.
Everyone has to make their own choices about that risk, of course. Mine is to avoid violating the carryon regs.
- - -
Flowerpot, I'm with you on allowing plenty of transfer time at intermediate airports. This is especially true for people who transfer from one airline to another and did not book both flights as a single itinerary. If you book everything together and your first flight is delayed, the airline is going to get your a replacement for the missed second flight. If you booked the two flights together and you are delayed and miss the second one... that's your problem!
We decided that the thrill of short layover times is outweighed by the distress of watching the interval between arrival and departure shrink and then the panicked runs through airports to catch the next flight.