fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

       2       3       end
  

combo for europe

  
 
Flowernut
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · combo for europe


my trip restricts me to one bag, one computer briefcase and one camera bag. Usually I use a roller bag for cameras and hang my brief case on it. For this trip, the camera bag needs to be a backpack. Suggestions? I'm thinking of a computer brief case on rollers that would fit under plane seat then hanging a camera backpack on it that would fit in overhead. Any thoughts


Jul 10, 2026 at 02:51 PM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · combo for europe


What gear do you plan to take?


Jul 10, 2026 at 03:14 PM
Abuttolph
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · combo for europe


You could use your regular brief case and camera backpack and get a wheeled luggage tote for your camera pack. I think that Samsonite makes one that people like pretty well.


Jul 10, 2026 at 03:31 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · combo for europe


How are we supposed to figure out what equipment and subject?

EBH



Jul 10, 2026 at 05:34 PM
bwcolor
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · combo for europe


Take a Leica M3 with a 50mm lens. Problem solved.. unless you need a light meter.


Jul 10, 2026 at 07:01 PM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · combo for europe


Flowernut wrote:
my trip restricts me to one bag, one computer briefcase and one camera bag. Usually I use a roller bag for cameras and hang my brief case on it. For this trip, the camera bag needs to be a backpack. Suggestions? I'm thinking of a computer brief case on rollers that would fit under plane seat then hanging a camera backpack on it that would fit in overhead. Any thoughts


I can't think of any 'personal item' sized computer briefcase with rollers on it. Larger bags (your camera backpack) typically go in the overhead while the personal item goes under the seat in front of you. Attaching a larger backpack onto a smaller roller bag will end up being top heavy and won't stand upright on its own. Additionally, if it's a two-wheel roller, a heavy backpack slung onto it will put a lot of weight on your arm as you pull the combination behind you around the airport, etc. This will become uncomfortable very quickly. With a roller you want the weight down low near the wheels rather than up high near the extension handle to minimize stress on your arm (if it's a roller you pull diagonally behind you rather than a 4-wheel 'spinner' roller you push in front of you).

In my experience, if you can manage it, just carry the backpack as a backpack and sling the briefcase over a shoulder, etc. Or get a backpack that will carry your camera and computer gear and carry a smaller personal item bag that's nearly empty but that can be used in an emergency situation to carry some gear when/if your main carryon bag is deemed too heavy or flagged for whatever reason.

Which airline are you using?



Jul 10, 2026 at 08:03 PM
Flowernut
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · combo for europe


gdanmitchell wrote:
What gear do you plan to take?


two bodies, 24-105 (two one is a backup), 100-500, 14-35. with normal accessories tripod, cable release
laptop with external drives

Subject is scenic in dolomites and Venice. could go with 70-300 rather than 100-500 but ti doesn't save much weight. maybe a 70-200? Most photos will probably be taken with 24-105 so I want a backup for it and the body. Seen too many people drop a camera and be out for the rest of the trip.

Edited on Jul 13, 2026 at 01:00 PM · View previous versions



Jul 13, 2026 at 12:52 PM
Flowernut
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · combo for europe


rscheffler wrote:
I can't think of any 'personal item' sized computer briefcase with rollers on it. Larger bags (your camera backpack) typically go in the overhead while the personal item goes under the seat in front of you. Attaching a larger backpack onto a smaller roller bag will end up being top heavy and won't stand upright on its own. Additionally, if it's a two-wheel roller, a heavy backpack slung onto it will put a lot of weight on your arm as you pull the combination behind you around the airport, etc. This will become uncomfortable very quickly. With a roller you
...Show more →

no airline yet. Flying from Chicago to Venice. My carry on is typically heavy so I don't want to be carryihg it on my back at my age.



Jul 13, 2026 at 12:56 PM
Flowernut
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · combo for europe


EB-1 wrote:
How are we supposed to figure out what equipment and subject?

EBH


I added that to an earlier comment. Sorry.



Jul 13, 2026 at 01:01 PM
Flowernut
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · combo for europe


Abuttolph wrote:
You could use your regular brief case and camera backpack and get a wheeled luggage tote for your camera pack. I think that Samsonite makes one that people like pretty well.


Did this at one time. Another is to reconfigure at airport hotel and store luggage there. Did that in Japan and Iceland.



Jul 13, 2026 at 01:02 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

johnvanr
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · combo for europe


Flowernut wrote:
two bodies, 24-105 (two one is a backup), 100-500, 14-35. with normal accessories tripod, cable release
laptop with external drives

Subject is scenic in dolomites and Venice. could go with 70-300 rather than 100-500 but ti doesn't save much weight. maybe a 70-200? Most photos will probably be taken with 24-105 so I want a backup for it and the body. Seen too many people drop a camera and be out for the rest of the trip.


I’d probably pay for a checked bag for my usual stuff and use a roller for my gear during travel and then a shoulder bag for my lenses at the location.

Since you’re taking a 14-35 and a 100-500, if something really went wrong with the 24-105, you’d still be covered at the wide and long end of that lens. So, why not just throw in a nifty-fifty, instead of a second 24-105?

Now, personally, I’ve never seen anyone drop a camera, with the one exception of me dropping one in just about 50 years of using cameras. And I don’t think I’ve ever had a lens fail on me. Backup camera, that’s another story.



Jul 13, 2026 at 02:17 PM
panos.v
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · combo for europe


Just get the 24-105 and enjoy the trip. Don't be *that* guy with a tripod in Venice.


Jul 13, 2026 at 02:54 PM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · combo for europe


Flowernut wrote:
two bodies, 24-105 (two one is a backup), 100-500, 14-35. with normal accessories tripod, cable release
laptop with external drives

Subject is scenic in dolomites and Venice. could go with 70-300 rather than 100-500 but ti doesn't save much weight. maybe a 70-200? Most photos will probably be taken with 24-105 so I want a backup for it and the body. Seen too many people drop a camera and be out for the rest of the trip.


If I understand correctly, you want to use one luggage bag/suitcase (checked), one camera bag that can be carried onboard, plus a small bag, perhaps a shoulder bag. You carry two bodies (don’t know what size) a long telephoto zoom, a wide angle zoom, a tripod, other accessories, and you laptop plus your other non-photo stuff.

The biggest challenge is perhaps the tripod. If you are taking any kind of “serious” tripod, even a lighter one, that probably is not going in your carry-on luggage. When I carry a larger tripod on flights like this, I remove the head and center column and put the tripod into my checked luggage. (If I have space I carry the head in my carry-on luggage.)

That usually means that I check a medium size (too big for carry-on but not the largest size) roller with all of my regular travel stuff (clothes, etc.) plus the tripod.

I have a non-rolling camera backpack (an older one from Lowepro) into which I can squeeze a body (5DsR), and up to four lenses: 16-35, 24-70, 70-200, 100-400. the 16-35 and 100-400 are f/4 lenses. I can also get my accessories (batteries, filters, etc.) into this bag.

That’s more lenses but fewer bodies than you carry. Since size is more likely to be a constraint than weight, I would consider the 70-300mm lens and, if it is compatible, a 1.4x TC “just in case.”

Your small shoulder bag can probably handle a small laptop (I never travel with a full size laptop any more) and other small items.

The closest to what you are trying to do that I’ve done recently* was a trip to photograph New England fall color a few years ago. It worked out just fine.

* We do a fair amount of European travel — 10-12 weeks er year — and we’ve learned to downsize what we take. You’d be amazed by how far that can take you. We’ve traveled for up to 10 weeks straight with nothing more than carry-on luggage — a backpack (sometimes a roller) and a single under-seat bag.

Good luck.

- - -

I have also learned to downsize my camera gear quite a bit for travel in most cases. While I drag along a ton of stuff (sometimes two systems) for my American landscape photography, in Europe I mostly stick to a smaller APS-C camera and a set of three smallish primes. I realize that landscape photography — which I presume you want to do in the Dolomites — will require different gear, but do try to hold it to what you actually _know_ you will _need_, and not include things that you might, maybe, possibly sort of wish you had.




Jul 13, 2026 at 03:22 PM
Flowernut
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · combo for europe


R52. Photo workshop. Have tripod situation under control. Guts gear laptop bag I’ve used for years fits under seat. Need camera bag or backpack to use in field. Could carry on but I don’t want to haul 2 carry on my back. Need wheels. Thought shedded brief case instead of think tank international I normally use.


Jul 14, 2026 at 09:44 AM
Flowernut
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · combo for europe


johnvanr wrote:
I’d probably pay for a checked bag for my usual stuff and use a roller for my gear during travel and then a shoulder bag for my lenses at the location.

Since you’re taking a 14-35 and a 100-500, if something really went wrong with the 24-105, you’d still be covered at the wide and long end of that lens. So, why not just throw in a nifty-fifty, instead of a second 24-105?

Now, personally, I’ve never seen anyone drop a camera, with the one exception of me dropping one in just about 50 years of using cameras. And I
...Show more →

I’ve seen a guy’s camera go into the water on South Georgia at start of Antarctic trip. Yve had two tripods go over and in both cases the camera fine aut lens mount damaged. Two bodies fail one in Yellowstone the other in chile. It does happen. I probably take 90 percent of my pictures with 24-105



Jul 14, 2026 at 09:50 AM
Flowernut
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · combo for europe


johnvanr wrote:
I’d probably pay for a checked bag for my usual stuff and use a roller for my gear during travel and then a shoulder bag for my lenses at the location.

Since you’re taking a 14-35 and a 100-500, if something really went wrong with the 24-105, you’d still be covered at the wide and long end of that lens. So, why not just throw in a nifty-fifty, instead of a second 24-105?

Now, personally, I’ve never seen anyone drop a camera, with the one exception of me dropping one in just about 50 years of using cameras. And I
...Show more →

Limit not plane but workshop transport



Jul 14, 2026 at 09:52 AM
Flowernut
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · combo for europe


gdanmitchell wrote:
If I understand correctly, you want to use one luggage bag/suitcase (checked), one camera bag that can be carried onboard, plus a small bag, perhaps a shoulder bag. You carry two bodies (don’t know what size) a long telephoto zoom, a wide angle zoom, a tripod, other accessories, and you laptop plus your other non-photo stuff.

The biggest challenge is perhaps the tripod. If you are taking any kind of “serious” tripod, even a lighter one, that probably is not going in your carry-on luggage. When I carry a larger tripod on flights like this, I remove the head and center
...Show more →

Answered you questions below



Jul 14, 2026 at 09:53 AM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · combo for europe


Does it work to have a large luggage roller, a carry-on size camera backpack, and a small shoulder bag? That usually works for me.


Jul 14, 2026 at 10:48 AM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · combo for europe


Flowernut wrote:
R52. Photo workshop. Have tripod situation under control. Guts gear laptop bag I’ve used for years fits under seat. Need camera bag or backpack to use in field. Could carry on but I don’t want to haul 2 carry on my back. Need wheels. Thought shedded brief case instead of think tank international I normally use.


There are roller backpacks. I haven't used one before and I'm guessing it's a compromise situation in that it's not an ideal roller and not an ideal (comfortable) backpack. But if you are limited by the workshop's luggage allowances, and need it to be a backpack, but other times would prefer to use a roller, this might be a solution. Otherwise, I was thinking putting the backpack in a carry-on spinner/roller suitcase, if it would fit, but then you'd run afoul of the workshop's baggage restrictions (because you'd have two suitcases). Some European airports I think still allow longterm luggage storage, so one solution, if you're flying into and out of the same airport, could be to store the extra bag there, if not cost prohibitive. Or if you're staying at the same hotel on your first and last nights, see about leaving it with them. Or just consider that roller 'disposable' once you arrive in the EU and discard or give it away and buy another one before your flight back. Or as someone else suggested, a folding luggage dolly for your existing backpack. Might be the best solution TBH.

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/rolling-backpacks

Two non-gripped bodies, 100-500 (which is about the same size as a 70-200/2.8), 2x 24-105/4, 14-35 is pretty doable in a smallish bag, IMO. If the backpack main compartment is at least 4" deep, the 14-35 and 24-105s can stand and the bodies could be turned on their sides to each fit roughly into the space used by a lens like a 24-105. It's just the 100-500 at ~8" long that will need to lie down and will eat up a lot more space. But I would take the 100-500 over the 70-300. Not much weight and size difference but the 100-500 would be more versatile and not overlap with your main lens (24-105).

I'd only swap in the 70-200 Z with a TC in place of the 100-500 if there was some potential benefit to 200/2.8. Otherwise to save space and weight, I'd choose the 70-200/4, but giving up the TC option does concede a lot against the 100-500. IMO there could be value in the long end of the 100-500 for compressed telephoto compositions. But if it's likely to be low percentages, you might be better with the RF 100-400 as a more compact, lighter option. In your position, I'd just take the 100-500 and suffer the size/weight tradeoffs. Or bring 100-500 and 70-200/4 as a back up tele option that could have use in places like Venice when you want to wander the narrow streets with a lighter load (such as 14-35, 50/1.8, 70-200/4). Instead of a second 24-105 and/or 70-200/4 you could also consider a super zoom such as the 24-240. Probably some optical quality compromises (though it has its share of fans) but rather than a purely redundant lens that you'd probably never use, it would provide some flexibility as a one-lens solution for light outings.



Jul 14, 2026 at 12:49 PM
johnvanr
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · combo for europe


Flowernut wrote:
Limit not plane but workshop transport


Interesting. I've read a lot about workshop/safari limits in other parts of the world, but workshop limits in Europe are a new one to me.



Jul 14, 2026 at 01:53 PM
       2       3       end






FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

       2       3       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account