I know I already posted a few from the previous smoky sunset, but Mother Nature put on another show last night, and I couldn't resist sharing a few more from a different location. The changing layers of smoke created some wild color gradients, and the sunspots were visible for much of the descent.
ILCE-7RM5FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS lens229mmf/11.01/320s200 ISO0.0 EV
ILCE-7RM5FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS lens330mmf/11.01/320s200 ISO0.0 EV
ILCE-7RM5FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS lens268mmf/11.01/200s200 ISO0.0 EV
ILCE-7RM5FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS lens268mmf/11.01/200s200 ISO0.0 EV
ILCE-7RM5FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS lens315mmf/11.01/250s200 ISO0.0 EV
ILCE-7RM5FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS lens221mmf/11.01/160s200 ISO0.0 EV
ILCE-7RM5FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS lens361mmf/11.01/160s200 ISO0.0 EV
kirbic wrote:
#1 for the win. I love the way the sun is framed by the trees and clouds. Beautiful.
Thank you, I think #1 is my favorite too. I was driving along a backcountry dirt road on a high mountain ridge, came around the corner and saw the framing through the trees like that and knew that was my shot!
Can I ask where this was? We were just in Fairplay, CO and the moon was similar last night from the Leadville fire. The sun was too, but the moon being as orange as the sun was new to me.
eapage777 wrote:
Can I ask where this was? We were just in Fairplay, CO and the moon was similar last night from the Leadville fire. The sun was too, but the moon being as orange as the sun was new to me.
Thanks for your comment, it seems where you were the effect was probably even more intense. This series of images was taken at around 11,000 feet on a ridge that separates the Eagle Valley near Vail from the Roaring Fork Valley near Aspen.
More really beautiful images! Fabulous conditions.... Although I am personally glad to be no where near it. My asthma would be going nuts. My current plan is to be out that way starting in mid September I hope it has cleared by then...
guidostow wrote:
More really beautiful images! Fabulous conditions.... Although I am personally glad to be no where near it. My asthma would be going nuts. My current plan is to be out that way starting in mid September I hope it has cleared by then...
Thank you for the nice comment! Yeah the smoky air is really bad for respiratory issues. I can feel my throat and sinuses burning from breathing it all in constantly. By September, I'm sure things will be cleared up. Monsoon weather is moving in which should help alleviate some of the fires and smoke. September is the best time of the year imo, and hopefully you hit peak fall colors which is usually from Sept. 15-30th.
I appreciate that Joel, thank you! I again went out yesterday and it was even more dramatic, I'll probably post a few of those too. Insane how surreal it looks, almost looks like you're on another planet.
Love those colours. Also I really appreciate you not just posting one but several of the same scene over time, as there is a strong difference in lighting and colors over the course of the sunset.
DistantPlaces wrote:
Love those colours. Also I really appreciate you not just posting one but several of the same scene over time, as there is a strong difference in lighting and colors over the course of the sunset.
Thank you Michael, I appreciate your nice comment! I'm glad you like the sequence too, I thought each was interesting and unique and told a story of how the event unfolded that evening.
adventure_photo wrote:
Have fun in Gunnison Al! You should get some amazing sunsets plus wildflowers are looking great right now around Gunnison/Crested Butte!
Quite different this year. We’ve been coming to Gunnison / Crested Butte for a number of years and this is the first time I’ve seen so few wildflowers. The best were in hanging pots in CB! The smoke last night from the fire near Ouray chased us indoors a bit early.
Jim Dockery wrote:
Another nice set - would make a great dissolve in a slide show
Cheers Jim, thanks and I agree with you. Have a happy 4th!
---------------------------------------------
Al Trujillo wrote:
Quite different this year. We’ve been coming to Gunnison / Crested Butte for a number of years and this is the first time I’ve seen so few wildflowers. The best were in hanging pots in CB! The smoke last night from the fire near Ouray chased us indoors a bit early.
That's interesting Al, sorry the flowers are not that great this year and better in the hanging pots in CB! The lack of moisture this year in Colorado especially last winter is really having an effect on everything including the wildflowers. I wonder if fall colors will also be affected? Well I hope you're still having a good time and finding other things of interest to photograph. Happy 4th!
Jul 04, 2026 at 11:46 AM
Mark Metternich Offline Upload & Sell: On
Great series Scott, rich colors. My fav is #5, it reminds me of the black hole photo that was taken a few years ago by NASA. BTW, what are those spots at the center of the Sun? Sunspots?
Sreedhar
guywithgas wrote:
Great series Scott, rich colors. My fav is #5, it reminds me of the black hole photo that was taken a few years ago by NASA. BTW, what are those spots at the center of the Sun? Sunspots?
Sreedhar
Thanks Sreedhar, I always like hearing your feedback! Yes, those are indeed sunspots! The atmosphere filtered the sun so intensely that they were visible - something I've rarely seen (maybe once before). Very surreal and awe inspiring to witness.