fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
  

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

       2       end
  

Moose at Schwabacher Landing

  
 
gordec
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Moose at Schwabacher Landing


I recently returned from our family vacation to Yellowstone and Grand Teton. It was truly an amazing experience. The most unique encounter was when I tried to get a reflection pano of the Teton peaks early in the morning at Schwabacher Landing, a moose decided to pose for me while he’s getting his morning coffee.
















Jun 23, 2026 at 01:25 PM
mudlake
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Moose at Schwabacher Landing


Incredible pictures! I was just there a couple of weeks ago but didn’t get to this spot. Beautiful


Jun 23, 2026 at 01:36 PM
jgurbisz
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Moose at Schwabacher Landing


These are both top notch. I’m not sure if I prefer the ripples in the water or the calm reflection.


Jun 23, 2026 at 03:48 PM
Jim Dockery
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Moose at Schwabacher Landing


Moose for me.


Jun 23, 2026 at 06:04 PM
junglialoh
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Moose at Schwabacher Landing


Beautiful shot - well promoted image for the beauty of Teton


Jun 24, 2026 at 06:32 AM
EMH2025
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Moose at Schwabacher Landing


Beautiful ! great composition


Jun 26, 2026 at 08:31 PM
eapage777
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Moose at Schwabacher Landing


I vote for the moose based on rarity of the experience. Both great, though.


Jul 01, 2026 at 03:56 PM
cohenfive
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · Moose at Schwabacher Landing


I've been there 10 times now, and I'm still waiting for that moose to show up! Beauties.


Jul 20, 2026 at 10:03 PM
guidostow
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Moose at Schwabacher Landing


Great images. Well done!


Jul 21, 2026 at 05:33 AM
frigaliment
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · Moose at Schwabacher Landing


I could never find one of these WITH the amazing backdrop..


Jul 21, 2026 at 07:22 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

bcguy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · Moose at Schwabacher Landing


I prefer it with a moose! Great shot!


Jul 23, 2026 at 12:18 PM
Restrav
Online
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · Moose at Schwabacher Landing


what is the aperture value to get such wide depth of field?


Jul 24, 2026 at 11:03 AM
gordec
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · Moose at Schwabacher Landing


Restrav wrote:
what is the aperture value to get such wide depth of field?


f8. With 28mm lens, pretty much everything is going to be in focus.



Jul 24, 2026 at 11:39 AM
Restrav
Online
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · Moose at Schwabacher Landing


bcguy wrote:
I prefer it with a moose! Great shot!


i also like a good moose in the morning



Jul 24, 2026 at 12:00 PM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · Moose at Schwabacher Landing


The composition is wonderful, and you caught the critter in just the right part of the scene, with a beautiful background.

Do you mind if I make an observation and suggestion that might make this good shot even more effective?

The moose is pretty dark, partly due to its natural coloration and partly due to the light. If you can create a mask (in Lightroom, Adobe Camera Raw, or Photoshop) that includes just the moose (try “select object”) you might then adjust the curve on the critter a bit to bring up highlights a bit, or even raise shadows and exposure a bit.

Great shot though!




Jul 25, 2026 at 02:27 PM
Monika C
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · Moose at Schwabacher Landing


The moose -- what a treat!
As for Dan's suggestion: you could also just increase the clarity/structure on the moose.



Jul 25, 2026 at 08:04 PM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · Moose at Schwabacher Landing


Monika C wrote:
The moose -- what a treat!
As for Dan's suggestion: you could also just increase the clarity/structure on the moose.


Good point.

It is a tricky thing, since the moose actually is a pretty dark critter, and going too far with adjustments could quickly start to look fake if not done carefully. There are several techniques that I’d probably play with to see which ones in what combination might work bests. The could include:

1. Some kind of soft-edged radial gradient mask around the moose with adjustments as below.

2. Selecting the moose itself as an object (or with careful manual work) with some of the same adjustment.

3. Combining both #1 and #2!

Adjustments to try:

Clarity
Exposure
Curves (often my favorite)
Shadows

It is even possible to raise the shadow levels of the whole image a bit, perhaps leaving the sky out of the adjustments.

It is really hard to know what would work or even if it would end up as an improvement over the nice image shared here, but worth playing around a bit, I think.



Jul 26, 2026 at 11:46 AM
gordec
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · Moose at Schwabacher Landing


gdanmitchell wrote:
Good point.

It is a tricky thing, since the moose actually is a pretty dark critter, and going too far with adjustments could quickly start to look fake if not done carefully. There are several techniques that I’d probably play with to see which ones in what combination might work bests. The could include:

1. Some kind of soft-edged radial gradient mask around the moose with adjustments as below.

2. Selecting the moose itself as an object (or with careful manual work) with some of the same adjustment.

3. Combining both #1 and #2!

Adjustments to try:

Clarity
Exposure
Curves (often my favorite)
Shadows

It is even possible to
...Show more →

He has a gradient mask but still is darker. I have also tried subject mask. It can look unnatural. Here is another version.







Jul 26, 2026 at 03:44 PM
Ross Martin
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · Moose at Schwabacher Landing


gordec wrote:
He has a gradient mask but still is darker. I have also tried subject mask. It can look unnatural. Here is another version.



You captured a wonderful image, and I like your adjustment here, to me it’s very effective at bringing just the right amount of light to the moose.



Jul 26, 2026 at 08:03 PM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · Moose at Schwabacher Landing


gordec wrote:
He has a gradient mask but still is darker. I have also tried subject mask. It can look unnatural. Here is another version.


I like what you did here. It is enough to bring a bit more visibility to the moose’s features. And, yes, I’m always a bit jealous when someone manages to get a critter into a composition so effectively. :-)



Jul 27, 2026 at 09:17 AM
       2       end






FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

       2       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account