fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4       end
  

Where's the RF II Lens Dust Cap?

  
 
Pixelpuffin
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Where's the RF II Lens Dust Cap?


I recently bought 3 Yungnuo RF lenses ( all AF) all three use a variation of the old EF rear cap on RF mounts.
Keep meaning to remove and see what exactly is the difference between those and the standard EF rear cap. My suspicion is it’s just a lug that needs to me removed.



Aug 12, 2026 at 12:59 AM
Cliff L.
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · Where's the RF II Lens Dust Cap?


Canon did say at the time of the announcement that the new caps wouldn't be widely available until the existing stock of the old caps was used up.


Aug 12, 2026 at 08:00 AM
kirbic
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · Where's the RF II Lens Dust Cap?


See my posts above as to the differences and how to make either a standard EF cap or standard RF cap work for *both* and in any orientation, with nothing but a pocket knife.


Aug 12, 2026 at 11:38 AM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · Where's the RF II Lens Dust Cap?


I bought some of those generiac cap sets, but the plastic is not the same. It's shiny, staticy, leaves particules. It may be more of a problem with the body cap, but still.

EBH



Aug 12, 2026 at 03:30 PM
shutterbug guy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · Where's the RF II Lens Dust Cap?


I just noticed that my order at B&H has been updated to “Pending (we’ll email you once the item ships)."



Aug 17, 2026 at 01:45 AM
djmoll
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #6 · Where's the RF II Lens Dust Cap?


I just received four Canon RFII rear caps, the new design, from the Canon store on Amazon. They are the real thing. They work well.

As of today (8/20/2026) the caps are still in stock and available to order.



Aug 20, 2026 at 11:16 AM
Jman13
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #7 · Where's the RF II Lens Dust Cap?


Can someone who has received the new ones post a picture of the tabs? Curious how they did it, and if it’s very similar to the modified caps or if it’s quite different.


Aug 20, 2026 at 11:31 AM
gossamer88
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #8 · Where's the RF II Lens Dust Cap?


Jared Polin on IG posted a reel today:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/DcPbw-IuQ87/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==



Aug 20, 2026 at 11:42 AM
Jman13
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #9 · Where's the RF II Lens Dust Cap?


I found a good pic on the Danish Canon site:


Looks like the non-locking tab is very slightly shorter on the left side, and the long tab is entirely removed.

I had previously modded my existing caps by leaving that small bit of the long tab...which worked mostly, but made the cap difficult to remove if it was in the position one slot clockwise from the 'correct' mounting. I've since modded all my caps to look just like the image above and they all now go on super smoothly and come off smoothly. So IMO when modding, removing the long tab entirely is the way to go.






Aug 20, 2026 at 12:05 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #10 · Where's the RF II Lens Dust Cap?


It will be interesting to see if the new caps loosen and more easily fall off over time.

EBH



Aug 20, 2026 at 12:14 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Jman13
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #11 · Where's the RF II Lens Dust Cap?


I don't think they will, based on how the modded caps feel. They feel generally just as good and secure as when unmodded. I've had issues with some specific lenses with slightly thinner mount tabs being looser with caps, but I don't think I've ever had a lens cap loosen over time, unless we're talking decades.

Interestingly, with the modded caps, the two 'wrong' positions are the most secure positions, with the indexed position having the shortest throw and loosest fit (though generally unchanged from pre-mod).



Aug 20, 2026 at 12:35 PM
snegron7
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #12 · Where's the RF II Lens Dust Cap?




djmoll wrote:
I just received four Canon RFII rear caps, the new design, from the Canon store on Amazon. They are the real thing. They work well.

As of today (8/20/2026) the caps are still in stock and available to order.


I checked but didn't see that listing anywhere on Amazon. Would you be able to provide a link? Thanks.



Aug 20, 2026 at 04:15 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #13 · Where's the RF II Lens Dust Cap?


In the US it is here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0H1DZZ841

EBH



Aug 20, 2026 at 05:12 PM
snegron7
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #14 · Where's the RF II Lens Dust Cap?



EB-1 wrote:
In the US it is here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0H1DZZ841

EBH


Thank you EB-1!!! I ordered one from Amazon yesterday and it arrived today. I am actually shocked that it does exist and that I have one right now!

Here's a link to a small gallery I created for it:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/195506119@N07/Nc0Q9C4nW5


Once again, thank you!


Edited on Aug 21, 2026 at 07:55 PM · View previous versions



Aug 21, 2026 at 03:00 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #15 · Where's the RF II Lens Dust Cap?


Wow, that was fast? Are you perhaps in the States or are other regions getting them?

EBH



Aug 21, 2026 at 07:51 PM
snegron7
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #16 · Where's the RF II Lens Dust Cap?




EB-1 wrote:
Wow, that was fast? Are you perhaps in the States or are other regions getting them?

EBH


Yes, I'm in the US (Florida). When I went to add it to my cart, it said there was only one left. I'm still shocked that I got it!



Aug 21, 2026 at 07:54 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #17 · Where's the RF II Lens Dust Cap?


Jman13 wrote:
I don't think they will, based on how the modded caps feel. They feel generally just as good and secure as when unmodded. I've had issues with some specific lenses with slightly thinner mount tabs being looser with caps, but I don't think I've ever had a lens cap loosen over time, unless we're talking decades.

Interestingly, with the modded caps, the two 'wrong' positions are the most secure positions, with the indexed position having the shortest throw and loosest fit (though generally unchanged from pre-mod).


I'm not going to cut up the lens caps. I guess we'll see how the new ones do. Hopefully they will be released in quantity soon.

EBH



Aug 21, 2026 at 07:59 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #18 · Where's the RF II Lens Dust Cap?


snegron7 wrote:
Yes, I'm in the US (Florida). When I went to add it to my cart, it said there was only one left. I'm still shocked that I got it!


Now it is back to three, but I cannot order. Maybe BH later. I want 6 of the caps for lenses and the EF-RF adapters.

EBH



Aug 21, 2026 at 08:04 PM
shutterbug guy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #19 · Where's the RF II Lens Dust Cap?


I ordered 8 from B&H and have received a tracking number, whoohoo! Only a 2-month wait.


Aug 25, 2026 at 01:51 AM
Jman13
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #20 · Where's the RF II Lens Dust Cap?




EB-1 wrote:
I'm not going to cut up the lens caps. I guess we'll see how the new ones do. Hopefully they will be released in quantity soon.

EBH


Suit yourself. I was a little wary before seeing that all Canon is doing with the new caps is more or less exactly what the mod does. A sharp small pocket knife removes the tab cleanly and they work great.



Aug 25, 2026 at 03:07 AM
1       2              4       end






FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account