fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4              end
  

Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread

  
 
Cliff L.
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread


arbitrage wrote:
Another interesting thing with the 1-4 is it can achieve the same magnification at the 100mm setting vs the 400mm setting. It just uses a closer MFD.



I think the 100mm setting might give you the highest magnification.




Woodland Skipper (Ochlodes sylvanoides) and Coneflower (Echinacea)

  ILCE-7RM6    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    100mm    f/4.5    1/640s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  




Aug 29, 2026 at 10:49 AM
Cliff L.
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread


APS-C crop mode. At the moment, I'm leaning towards the opinion that this gives better results than using the 1.4x TC.




Anna's Hummingbird (Calypte anna) and Salvia Flowers

  ILCE-1M2    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    400mm    f/4.5    1/1600s    12800 ISO    0.0 EV  




Aug 29, 2026 at 02:21 PM
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #3 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread


Cliff L. wrote:
I think the 100mm setting might give you the highest magnification.


Yes, I believe you are correct. It is slightly higher MM at 100mm. I think the quoted 0.25x is at 100mm. I haven't seen what the measured MM is at 400mm.

Mark Galer showed this example in his 100-400 review which shows the difference.







Aug 30, 2026 at 07:30 AM
louie champan
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #4 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread


A few shots from my first time out with the new 100-400.




  ILCE-1M2    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    400mm    f/4.5    1/3200s    320 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-1M2    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    400mm    f/4.5    1/4000s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-1M2    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    400mm    f/4.5    1/2000s    2500 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-1M2    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS + 1.4X Teleconverter lens    560mm    f/6.3    1/1000s    8000 ISO    0.0 EV  




Aug 30, 2026 at 10:54 AM
bcaslis
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #5 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread


Great Blue Heron Close Up

Great Blue Heron Closeup 3 by Brian Caslis, on Flickr



Aug 30, 2026 at 05:51 PM
Andyuk109
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #6 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread


First time out with the 100-400, white-tailed eagles, a few other seabirds and a golden eagle on the trip

Only 1 trip and not ideal conditions but I agree with the overall sentiment on this lens and can see why a lot of people would give it a miss; at the same time, I see why a relatively small number of people would highly value it

The one I used for this trip was a rental; mine arrived whilst I was away - will see how it goes




Sep 03, 2026 at 05:50 PM
CPWarner
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #7 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread


A couple images elk taken in Benezette PA. Shot with the 100-400 f4.5 and 1.4x.




  ILCE-1M2    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS + 1.4X Teleconverter lens    560mm    f/6.3    1/2000s    8000 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-1M2    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS + 1.4X Teleconverter lens    560mm    f/6.3    1/2000s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-1M2    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS + 1.4X Teleconverter lens    560mm    f/6.3    1/2000s    2500 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-1M2    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS + 1.4X Teleconverter lens    269mm    f/6.3    1/2000s    8000 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-1M2    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS + 1.4X Teleconverter lens    560mm    f/6.3    1/125s    500 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-1M2    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS + 1.4X Teleconverter lens    560mm    f/6.3    1/125s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  




Sep 28, 2026 at 05:14 PM
turbodude
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #8 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread


i own a 400 2.8, 300 2.8, and 300-600 f4 from sigma. This lens is allowing me to sell my 400 2.8. I hand hold it on the sidelined paired with a 50-150 f2 and its amazing. the versatility along with IQ and size/weight is what sells it for me.





© Al Powers, Powers Imagery LLC

  ILCE-1M2    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    400mm    f/4.5    1/1250s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-1M2    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    100mm    f/4.5    1/1250s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-1M2    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    223mm    f/4.5    1/1250s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-1M2    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    178mm    f/4.5    1/1250s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-1M2    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    189mm    f/4.5    1/1250s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-1M2    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    229mm    f/4.5    1/1600s    3200 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-1M2    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    200mm    f/4.5    1/1250s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  




Sep 29, 2026 at 12:10 AM
robert614
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #9 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread


turbodude wrote:
i own a 400 2.8, 300 2.8, and 300-600 f4 from sigma. This lens is allowing me to sell my 400 2.8. I hand hold it on the sidelined paired with a 50-150 f2 and its amazing. the versatility along with IQ and size/weight is what sells it for me.



Excellent set! The lens looks like is working well!



Sep 29, 2026 at 09:52 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

timgangloff
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #10 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread


his lens is allowing me to sell my 400 2.8. I hand hold it on the sidelined paired with a 50-150 f2 and its amazing

I've got pretty much your same lens lineup. The flexibility of the 1-4 is intriguing. I've got the 300-600 as well and f4 really pushes my limits on HS fields. Have you shot your 1-4 at HS fields yet and what are your thoughts?

turbodude wrote:
i own a 400 2.8, 300 2.8, and 300-600 f4 from sigma. This lens is allowing me to sell my 400 2.8. I hand hold it on the sidelined paired with a 50-150 f2 and its amazing. the versatility along with IQ and size/weight is what sells it for me.






Sep 29, 2026 at 11:05 AM
robert614
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #11 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread




timgangloff wrote:
his lens is allowing me to sell my 400 2.8. I hand hold it on the sidelined paired with a 50-150 f2 and its amazing

I've got pretty much your same lens lineup. The flexibility of the 1-4 is intriguing. I've got the 300-600 as well and f4 really pushes my limits on HS fields. Have you shot your 1-4 at HS fields yet and what are your thoughts?



While I’m guessing the Sony is noticeably better, how are you finding the AF between the Sigma 300-600 and the Sony 100-400 f4.5?



Sep 29, 2026 at 12:16 PM
timgangloff
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #12 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread


Oh, I don't have the 100-400. That's what I was intrigued by. Can it work at poorly lit HS fields is my question? The 300-600 vs 400 2.8 is proving to be a interesting question. I used both this weekend at the UT vs UT game. Noon kick so good light. The extra reach of the 300-600 was great for a game largely played between the 30's, but the AF speed and accuracy of the 400 2.8 was also great at times. I'm still torn and say there was nearly an equal number of keepers with both lenses. I shot the 400 2.8 for the first half and the 300-600 for the second. The 300-600 f4 is at the outer limits of the ISOs I like to use at HS fields night games. So, was wondering if f4.5 makes a difference or are they so close it doesn't matter?

robert614 wrote:
While I’m guessing the Sony is noticeably better, how are you finding the AF between the Sigma 300-600 and the Sony 100-400 f4.5?





Sep 29, 2026 at 04:44 PM
robert614
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #13 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread


timgangloff wrote:
Oh, I don't have the 100-400. That's what I was intrigued by. Can it work at poorly lit HS fields is my question? The 300-600 vs 400 2.8 is proving to be a interesting question. I used both this weekend at the UT vs UT game. Noon kick so good light. The extra reach of the 300-600 was great for a game largely played between the 30's, but the AF speed and accuracy of the 400 2.8 was also great at times. I'm still torn and say there was nearly an equal number of keepers with both lenses. I shot
...Show more →

Ah…I misread your original post. My bad

The 1/3 of a stop is probably negligible if the two lenses had the same zoom range. But the Sony is much shorter

If a lot of your shots are in the 400-600mm range when you use the Sigma. Then you’ll be cropping a lot of pictures when using the 100-400. Not only will you be getting a 1/3 stop more noise from the 4.5 aperture. After you crop, you’ll be magnifying that noise even more

Apreciate your thoughts on the Sony 400 f2.8 vs Sigma. I sometimes get frustrated the Sigma doesn’t have native Sony AF consistency. But it’s such a cool unique lens, I don’t see myself parting with it anytime soon. Unless Sony comes out with one of course 😊



Sep 29, 2026 at 06:34 PM
turbodude
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #14 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread


timgangloff wrote:
his lens is allowing me to sell my 400 2.8. I hand hold it on the sidelined paired with a 50-150 f2 and its amazing

I've got pretty much your same lens lineup. The flexibility of the 1-4 is intriguing. I've got the 300-600 as well and f4 really pushes my limits on HS fields. Have you shot your 1-4 at HS fields yet and what are your thoughts?



------------------------------


robert614 wrote:
While I’m guessing the Sony is noticeably better, how are you finding the AF between the Sigma 300-600 and the Sony 100-400 f4.5?




i dont shoot much HS football, but Ole Miss stadium was pretty dark to my standard of NFL and other pro sports, and i found the AF faster and "stickier" than my 300-600, and didnt feel a noticable difference between the 100-400 and 400 2.8. the 300GM on the otherhand blows away the entire lot for speed, but its lighter and has less glass so its to be expected.



between the 100-400 and the 300-600, i would say its negligible, at fixed focal lengths. however when a player is coming at me, thats where the native sony shines, the sigma doesnt focus while zooming, so when i rack the zoom, i have to do a half step more af button push, more so that i use the 300-600 more as a fixed lens, set it and forget it kind of solution for specific plays or distance to the players. is it worth a 5k "upgrade" to the 600 f4 GM? to me, no. i dont shoot enough things where 600 is a necssity that i feel a real problem with it. i have considered getting a nikon z8 with a megatap to see how it reactes to the 300-600 without sonys naive handicap. to me the weight savings on my body and space in my bag outweighs all. so the 100-400 is a perfect lens solution for me, im willign to move the field more than lugging around my 400 with a mono. plus the combo of 50-150 f2 and 100-400 4.5 is PERFECT for sideline football. handholdable, nimble (relatively speaking) and sharp across all the zoom range.



Sep 30, 2026 at 12:08 PM
timgangloff
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #15 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread


Thanks, Interesting that while the college stadiums are lit better than HS, they still are not fantastic compared to the professional level. Tennessee's stadium is OK, not great. As for zooming with the 300-600, i've gotten used to half pressing as I zoom to keep the AF moving. But yeah, while not always a fixed zoom, I do find myself staying at a fixed focal length more than zooming. Maybe I'll see about getting a 100-400 from Sony as a loaner.

turbodude wrote:
------------------------------



i dont shoot much HS football, but Ole Miss stadium was pretty dark to my standard of NFL and other pro sports, and i found the AF faster and "stickier" than my 300-600, and didnt feel a noticable difference between the 100-400 and 400 2.8. the 300GM on the otherhand blows away the entire lot for speed, but its lighter and has less glass so its to be expected.

between the 100-400 and the 300-600, i would say its negligible, at fixed focal lengths. however when a player is coming at me, thats where the native sony shines, the sigma
...Show more →




Sep 30, 2026 at 01:17 PM
turbodude
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #16 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread


timgangloff wrote:
Thanks, Interesting that while the college stadiums are lit better than HS, they still are not fantastic compared to the professional level. Tennessee's stadium is OK, not great. As for zooming with the 300-600, i've gotten used to half pressing as I zoom to keep the AF moving. But yeah, while not always a fixed zoom, I do find myself staying at a fixed focal length more than zooming. Maybe I'll see about getting a 100-400 from Sony as a loaner.




used it for hockey last night, and again, fantastic, easy to move around, as well as loose enough if stuff happens. 400 2.8 was always too tight for hockey, 300 was too loose at times. 100-400 is just right
















































Sep 30, 2026 at 02:32 PM
turbodude
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #17 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread


strange i clicked on the exif data to show, and my images have it, but its not showing.


Sep 30, 2026 at 02:42 PM
Legndz
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #18 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread


I was looking to see your exif data on the hockey photos as well.


Sep 30, 2026 at 03:08 PM
1       2       3       4              end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4              end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account