fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5       end
  

Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread

  
 
Douglas L
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread


robert614 wrote:
Did you buy a A7RVI and the 100-400 f4.5 GM?! 😄

Nice shots btw. Can’t wait to see some airshow pics!



Thank you Robert! I did buy both, the lens arrived two days ago. As a matter of fact, I just tried the A7RVI and the new 100-400 for the airshow/ flyover in DC 2 hours ago, in 105 degrees! I will look at the files tonight.



Jul 03, 2026 at 01:45 PM
Grenache
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread


Winter stalker by Jim, on Flickr

Rooting by Jim, on Flickr

Fog and Fur by Jim, on Flickr




Jul 03, 2026 at 03:48 PM
Itsed65
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #3 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread


Nice shots, wrong lens however...



Jul 06, 2026 at 08:36 AM
Douglas L
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #4 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread


DC 4th of July flyover.




  ILCE-1M2    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    200mm    f/6.3    1/3200s    400 ISO    -0.3 EV  






  ILCE-1M2    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    164mm    f/4.5    1/2000s    3200 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-1M2    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    300mm    f/4.5    1/1600s    2000 ISO    -1.0 EV  






  ILCE-7RM6    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    354mm    f/7.1    1/2500s    250 ISO    -1.0 EV  






  ILCE-7RM6    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    400mm    f/8.0    1/3200s    160 ISO    -1.7 EV  






  ILCE-1M2    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    100mm    f/14.0    1/160s    50 ISO    0.0 EV  




Jul 07, 2026 at 06:05 AM
robert614
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #5 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread


Douglas L wrote:
DC 4th of July flyover.


Nice set!

I’m still hoping to photograph a B-2 in person one of these days

How you liking the 100-400 4.5 so far? Is the 400-800mm/100-400 4.5 the preferred airshow kit from now on?



Jul 07, 2026 at 04:45 PM
Douglas L
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #6 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread


robert614 wrote:
Nice set!

I’m still hoping to photograph a B-2 in person one of these days

How you liking the 100-400 4.5 so far? Is the 400-800mm/100-400 4.5 the preferred airshow kit from now on?


What?? With all the airshows you have gone to, you haven't seen the B-2? It's true the B-2s very rarely appear at airshows, even when they do, they fly all the way from Whiteman AFB in Missouri, fly a few passes at the shows, never land, and fly straight back to the base. But 7 or 8 years ago, at the Andrews AFB show in Maryland, a B-2 actually took off from there and flew a few passes. This was the only I saw one taking off and landing and I got some decent shots. I have seen the B-2s maybe 8 or 9 times over the last 16 years, 3 times of which were related to the 250th celebration in DC the last 2 weeks. When you see this thing approaching, you get a surreal feeling.

Yes, the new 100-400 and the 400-800 make a great combo for airshows. Now, if the 100-400+2XTC is almost as sharp as the 400-800, that would be a game changer for me. 200-800mm and so much lighter!

Here are few recent shots of a B-2 at sunset on June 24, sorry, not taken with the 100-400. I didn't have the 100-400 then.




  ILCE-1M2    FE 400-800mm F6.3-8 G OSS lens    659mm    f/8.0    1/2000s    500 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-1M2    FE 300mm F2.8 GM OSS + 1.4X Teleconverter lens    420mm    f/4.0    1/1600s    4000 ISO    +0.3 EV  






  ILCE-1M2    FE 400-800mm F6.3-8 G OSS lens    522mm    f/7.1    1/2000s    500 ISO    0.0 EV  




Jul 08, 2026 at 07:24 AM
CPWarner
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #7 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread


Couple from the bird feeder today:




  ILCE-1M2    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    317mm    f/4.5    1/1600s    12800 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-1M2    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    400mm    f/4.5    1/1600s    12800 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-1M2    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    400mm    f/4.5    1/5000s    12800 ISO    -0.7 EV  






  ILCE-1M2    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    400mm    f/4.5    1/5000s    12800 ISO    -0.7 EV  



Edited on Jul 08, 2026 at 08:14 PM · View previous versions



Jul 08, 2026 at 06:43 PM
robert614
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #8 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread


Douglas L wrote:
What?? With all the airshows you have gone to, you haven't seen the B-2? It's true the B-2s very rarely appear at airshows, even when they do, they fly all the way from Whiteman AFB in Missouri, fly a few passes at the shows, never land, and fly straight back to the base. But 7 or 8 years ago, at the Andrews AFB show in Maryland, a B-2 actually took off from there and flew a few passes. This was the only I saw one taking off and landing and I got some decent shots. I have seen the
...Show more →

Nice B-2 shots!

Have you tried the 100-400 4.5 with the 2X yet. Is the 400-800mm still appreciably sharper?



Jul 08, 2026 at 07:01 PM
Douglas L
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #9 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread


robert614 wrote:
Nice B-2 shots!

Have you tried the 100-400 4.5 with the 2X yet. Is the 400-800mm still appreciably sharper?


Thanks Robert! I haven't had time to run the test yet. I want to compare the 100-400+1.4TC to the 200-600 (I have a very sharp copy of this lens), and 100-400+2X TC to the 400-800. Based of the online reviews I have seen, it seems the consensus is the 100-400+2XTC is not quite as sharp as the 400-800, and the 100-400+1.4TC is about the same as the 200-600, depending on copy variation of both lenses. For the comparison, I will be looking strictly at sharpness, not AF or difference in weight.

Oh, 100-400+1.4TC vs 300GM+2X TC too.



Jul 08, 2026 at 10:15 PM
Peire
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #10 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread


...




  ILCE-7RM5    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    400mm    f/4.5    1/160s    100 ISO    -0.7 EV  






  ILCE-7RM5    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    400mm    f/4.5    1/250s    100 ISO    -0.7 EV  






  ILCE-7RM5    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    349mm    f/4.5    1/125s    320 ISO    -0.7 EV  






  ILCE-7RM5    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    400mm    f/4.5    1/320s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-7RM5    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    400mm    f/4.5    1/320s    100 ISO    -0.7 EV  






  ILCE-7RM5    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    400mm    f/4.5    1/160s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-7RM5    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    100mm    f/4.5    1/125s    100 ISO    -0.7 EV  






  ILCE-7RM5    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    400mm    f/4.5    1/250s    100 ISO    -0.7 EV  






  ILCE-7RM5    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    400mm    f/4.5    1/500s    3200 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-7RM5    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    400mm    f/4.5    1/500s    500 ISO    0.0 EV  




Jul 13, 2026 at 02:16 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

CPWarner
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #11 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread


A couple images of a dragonfly from a nearby pond today. I was trying to get them in flight with limited success. Precapture is your friend trying to do that!

These were taken with the 2x attached. I will compare with my 400-800 at some point this week.






  ILCE-1M2    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS + 2X Teleconverter lens    548mm    f/9.0    1/8000s    6400 ISO    -0.7 EV  






  ILCE-1M2    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS + 2X Teleconverter lens    600mm    f/9.0    1/8000s    8000 ISO    -0.7 EV  






  ILCE-1M2    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS + 2X Teleconverter lens    726mm    f/9.0    1/8000s    10000 ISO    0.0 EV  




Jul 13, 2026 at 05:19 PM
CPWarner
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #12 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread


Tried to get some comparison photos using my 400-800mm G and 100-400mm f/4.5 GM with the Sony 2X TC. I did not realize that the first comparison I did not have the zoom on the 100-400 set to 400mm for an effective 800mm with the 2X on. And no, that was not due to lens creep, . I just forgot to set it to 400mm as I quickly switched lenses. The second comparison I had both images at an effective 800mm.

One thing to note is that the 100-400mm does have a lot closer focusing capability. That can make a difference in a case like this where I was photographing dragonflies.

My take on these are that they are very close, with a slight edge going to the 400-800mm. As usual, copy variation may play a role in results. I will say that I have never been super happy with the results from my 2X, with the exception of when I had it on my 300mm. But even then it was a step down from the bare 300mm and the 300mm with 1.4X.

I added 100% crops of the last two images. Processing was in Lightroom Classic with denoise and highlight and shadow corrections. Same settings for both lenses.





  ILCE-1M2    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS + 2X Teleconverter lens    688mm    f/9.0    1/500s    1600 ISO    -0.3 EV  






  ILCE-1M2    FE 400-800mm F6.3-8 G OSS lens    800mm    f/9.0    1/500s    1000 ISO    -0.3 EV  






  ILCE-1M2    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS + 2X Teleconverter lens    800mm    f/9.0    1/4000s    12800 ISO    -0.7 EV  






  ILCE-1M2    FE 400-800mm F6.3-8 G OSS lens    800mm    f/9.0    1/5000s    12800 ISO    -0.7 EV  







100% crop 100-400mm with 2X

  ILCE-1M2    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS + 2X Teleconverter lens    800mm    f/9.0    1/4000s    12800 ISO    -0.7 EV  







100% crop 400-800mm

  ILCE-1M2    FE 400-800mm F6.3-8 G OSS lens    800mm    f/9.0    1/5000s    12800 ISO    -0.7 EV  



Edited on Jul 16, 2026 at 08:28 AM · View previous versions



Jul 15, 2026 at 12:19 PM
Itsed65
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #13 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread


@560mm

Looking at You by lennycarl08, on Flickr



Jul 15, 2026 at 03:44 PM
CPWarner
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #14 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread


Two more dragonfly photos. Note that these were close enough that I could not take equivalent images with my 400-800mm from where I was sitting. I would have had to back up. The 100-400mm f/4.5 focused close enough that I could capture these. Pretty happy with the detail obtained in these images.




  ILCE-1M2    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS + 2X Teleconverter lens    688mm    f/9.0    1/500s    1250 ISO    -0.3 EV  






  ILCE-1M2    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS + 2X Teleconverter lens    800mm    f/9.0    1/500s    3200 ISO    -1.7 EV  




Jul 15, 2026 at 05:11 PM
ketang
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #15 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread


I have a huge backlog of photos to edit with this lens, I am loving it. Here are a few from my first weeks with it:




































































Jul 16, 2026 at 09:33 AM
Itsed65
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #16 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread


With 1.4

Osprey Head On by lennycarl08, on Flickr



Jul 16, 2026 at 05:19 PM
Douglas L
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #17 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread


Haven't had a chance to use this lens much yet.




  ILCE-7RM6    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    285mm    f/5.6    1/100s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-7RM6    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    400mm    f/9.0    1/500s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-7RM6    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    169mm    f/9.0    1/250s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  




Jul 16, 2026 at 07:43 PM
Itsed65
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #18 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread



Bringing Home the Fish by lennycarl08, on Flickr



Aug 24, 2026 at 08:37 AM
Cliff L.
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #19 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread







Anna's Hummingbird (Calypte anna)

  ILCE-1M2    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    400mm    f/4.5    1/1600s    8000 ISO    0.0 EV  






Anna's Hummingbird (Calypte anna)

  ILCE-1M2    FE 100-400mm F4.5 GM OSS lens    400mm    f/4.5    1/1600s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  




Aug 27, 2026 at 03:48 PM
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #20 · Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread



Another interesting thing with the 1-4 is it can achieve the same magnification at the 100mm setting vs the 400mm setting. It just uses a closer MFD. I found this very useful when photographing small (thumbnail sized) tree frogs as I could push the lens past the foreground foliage to get a clear view at 100mm but not with the lens further back at 400mm. Of course only certain subject will allow you that close and if you have a clean foreground then best to stay back at the 400mm MFD.
CPWarner wrote:
Two more dragonfly photos. Note that these were close enough that I could not take equivalent images with my 400-800mm from where I was sitting. I would have had to back up. The 100-400mm f/4.5 focused close enough that I could capture these. Pretty happy with the detail obtained in these images.




Aug 28, 2026 at 07:13 AM
1       2       3              5       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account