fredmiranda.com
Login

  

  Previous versions of CPWarner's message #17072435 « Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread »

  

CPWarner
Offline
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread


Tried to get some comparison photos using my 400-800mm G and 100-400mm f/4.5 GM with the Sony 2X TC. I did not realize that the first comparison I had the zoom off from 400mm, and no that was not due to lens creep, just did not get it over to 400mm. The second comparison I had both images at an effective 800mm.

One thing to note is that the 100-400mm does have a lot closer focusing capability. That can make a difference in a case like this where I was photographing dragonflies.

My take on these are that they are very close, with a slight edge going to the 400-800mm. As usual, copy variation may play a role in results. I will say that I have never been super happy with the results from my 2X, with the exception of when I had it on my 300mm. But even then it was a step down from the bare 300mm and the 300mm with 1.4X.

I added 100% crops of the last two images. Processing was in Lightroom Classic with denoise and highlight and shadow corrections. Same settings for both lenses.




Jul 15, 2026 at 12:19 PM





  Previous versions of CPWarner's message #17072435 « Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS Image Thread »