p.3 #1 · Leica 50 summilux, close focus vs nokton 1.0
Summilux at 1.4 less busy than the Voigtlander at 1.4. But just barely.
Voigtlander at 1.0 really keeps it together considering its shot wide open. The barcode price tag in the middle ( original focus point on all shots ) really shows the voigtlander is no slouch and can keep up up with a lens 3 times the cost.
Also, the bokeh balls seem more round than the ones from the lux.
On a side note, this is a 2nd 50mm 1.0 I misplaced my original and cannot find it. I am wondering if I left it somewhere while changing lenses.
p.3 #2 · Leica 50 summilux, close focus vs nokton 1.0
Thanks for these Fred. Based on these I wouldn't pick one over the other due to optical performance, but instead because of other factors such as size, ergonomics, price (if relevant), etc.
I am sensitive to LoCA and know that the 50/1 shows more color fringing than the Lux, so that almost by default biases my opinion in favor of the Lux. In theory it should mean that I would prefer the VM 50/2 APO over the Lux, but the Lux's LoCA control is good enough that after ~15 years of use, I can't recall it ever bothering me. The same is not true for other fast non-APO 50s.
p.3 #4 · Leica 50 summilux, close focus vs nokton 1.0
Jorge can you come to my house and change some lenses here, maybe the Zeiss 35 1.4? My first voitglander the 50 1.5 first version had such bad purple fringing I have never bought another Voigt. The Nokton in your examples seem to have less bite, compared to the lux.
p.3 #5 · Leica 50 summilux, close focus vs nokton 1.0
davidsee wrote:
Jorge can you come to my house and change some lenses here, maybe the Zeiss 35 1.4? My first voitglander the 50 1.5 first version had such bad purple fringing I have never bought another Voigt. The Nokton in your examples seem to have less bite, compared to the lux.
I do make house calls. I do not accept crypto but do take Krisppy Kreme and it looks like your the next state over from me.
Yea, the Lux is definitely sharper. But, not by much. And the 35 ZM 1.4 is just hard to beat. Look at these
p.3 #8 · Leica 50 summilux, close focus vs nokton 1.0
I just did my own quick comparison between the same lenses as OP.
Camera: M10R with EVF for focusing
On the Left: Summilux 50mm 1.4 ASP CF II (2023 version). Lens profile applied in camera.
On the Right: Nokton 50mm 1.0 VM. No lens profile assigned. Refocused for each aperture to avoid focus shift.
Focus was on the number 0 (zero) on the ball head. Distance 1 meter.
This was a quick test with just this one subject matter. I believe my findings match this thread, perhaps with the exception of saturation, I found the Nokton more saturated - maybe angle of light matters. Comparison is slightly difficult as Nokton is wider.
Nokton is slightly wider.
Nokton at 1.0 produces larger bokeh balls than either lens at 1.4
Nokton sharpness at 1.0 and 1.4 is impressive, very close to Lux.
Nokton is little bit more saturated in these shots.
Nokton has slightly more CA at 1.4 and definitely at 1.0
My personal summary:
Lux is much smaller and therefore more perfect everyday lens.
Nokton is special, amazing 1.0 lens, size makes it not an everyday lens.