fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       33              end
  

Light Lens Lab 35mm f/1.4 Aspherical "11873" Review

  
 
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.34 #1 · Light Lens Lab 35mm f/1.4 Aspherical "11873" Review


Swapped out my Hawks Factory macro adapter for a new Leica M Adapter L, but I'm getting the same results – decentered/tilted element.

Update: LLL setting up exchange for me

(Edit: removed photos showing the decentering since the issue has been resolved via exchange)

Edited on Oct 05, 2026 at 05:25 PM · View previous versions



Sep 22, 2026 at 11:38 AM
ieei.liu
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.34 #2 · Light Lens Lab 35mm f/1.4 Aspherical "11873" Review


I’ve had the LLL 35mm f/1.4 Ti for about a month now, and I’ve really been enjoying the way it renders. It has pretty much become my everyday lens and stays on the camera most of the time. Personally, I find it surprisingly well suited for daily use.

Compared with my other lens LLL Z21 and ZS6, those two are lenses I tend to reach for when I’m specifically looking for a certain kind of bokeh or rendering. The 35/1.4 Ti feels much more versatile, while still showing some very distinctive character in the right situations.

I’m really enjoying this lens so far, and I’m hoping the LLL 35 APO I have on order will surprise me in a different way when it arrives.

M11 + LLL 35mm f/1.4 Ti


















Oct 04, 2026 at 01:19 PM
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.34 #3 · Light Lens Lab 35mm f/1.4 Aspherical "11873" Review


Follow up and a huge "thank you" to David at Light Lens Lab. He had a second personal copy of the high polished version that he swapped out for mine. The new copy is well-centered, so it's time to start using it


Oct 05, 2026 at 05:23 PM
lens_payoff_0l
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.34 #4 · Light Lens Lab 35mm f/1.4 Aspherical "11873" Review



I would request you reconsider that decision- it was a beautiful example of how to diagnose t he r issue
highdesertmesa wrote:
Swapped out my Hawks Factory macro adapter for a new Leica M Adapter L, but I'm getting the same results – decentered/tilted element.

Update: LLL setting up exchange for me

(Edit: removed photos showing the decentering since the issue has been resolved via exchange)




Oct 05, 2026 at 11:08 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

ByChrisJones
Online
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.34 #5 · Light Lens Lab 35mm f/1.4 Aspherical "11873" Review


It took a little bit of time before I got my tracking number but looks like my black aluminum copy will be here tomorrow. Pretty excited to try it out and hopefully compliment/take over my rokkor 40mm.


Oct 06, 2026 at 12:28 PM
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.34 #6 · Light Lens Lab 35mm f/1.4 Aspherical "11873" Review


FYI, anecdotally, I've noticed something similar with this lens to my 8-Element. There is a slight loss of detail/resolution in the far corners when using the provided LLL UV filter (60mp SL3 sensor reviewed at 200% magnification). I checked for this at f/5.6, but I assume it may show up at any aperture. There is also a slight increase in central sharpness with the same filter. I don't think it has anything to do with the LLL filter itself. When I first noticed this issue on my LLL 8-Element, it didn't matter what brand filter, LLL provided filter, B+W Master, and Leica UV were all tested. On the 8-Element, the filter would actually darken the corners slightly (and also increase center sharpness). On the AA, a filter doesn't darken the corners, it just affects sharpness/resolution. This is all something you probably would never notice at normal magnifications, and I still plan to keep the filter on the lens despite this.


Oct 07, 2026 at 02:20 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.34 #7 · Light Lens Lab 35mm f/1.4 Aspherical "11873" Review


highdesertmesa wrote:
FYI, anecdotally, I've noticed something similar with this lens to my 8-Element. There is a slight loss of detail/resolution in the far corners when using the provided LLL UV filter (60mp SL3 sensor reviewed at 200% magnification). I checked for this at f/5.6, but I assume it may show up at any aperture. There is also a slight increase in central sharpness with the same filter. I don't think it has anything to do with the LLL filter itself. When I first noticed this issue on my LLL 8-Element, it didn't matter what brand filter, LLL provided filter, B+W Master,
...Show more →

Thanks for sharing this, and for checking at 200% is a great level of scrutiny.

Just so I understand correctly: on the 8-E you saw the same pattern with the LLL, B+W, and Leica UV filters, but on this lens you've only tried the LLL one?

The corner darkening on the LLL 8-Element makes sense to me, since a filter ring can cause a bit of mechanical vignetting. The slight gain in center sharpness is the part that surprises me, because I wouldn't expect a flat piece of glass to help there. Did you refocus (or use focus peaking or magnified Live View) for each shot, with and without the filter? Even a tiny difference in focus can shift the results at 60MP, so I'm curious whether it holds up when you repeat it.

Either way, I agree you'd probably never notice it at normal magnifications.



Oct 07, 2026 at 02:52 PM
weatherproof
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.34 #8 · Light Lens Lab 35mm f/1.4 Aspherical "11873" Review


ByChrisJones wrote:
Pretty excited to try it out and hopefully compliment/take over my rokkor 40mm.


The 40mm Rokkor will always be unique given its size and weight. It's a tough lens to beat in that regard.



Oct 07, 2026 at 04:50 PM
1       2       3       …       33              end






FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       33              end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account