fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       7              end
  

Thypoch Simera 28mm f/1.4 ASPH. Type II Review

  
 
jeffersoncasey
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #1 · Thypoch Simera 28mm f/1.4 ASPH. Type II Review




nehemiahphoto wrote:
I preferred the top images before I read the it was the Lux. But I don't think it's a super helpful comp to be honest.

What aperture are these at? And it looks like the exposure is different--the Simera images looks darker which works against it.

I owned the Simera 28/1.4 and liked it. I would not say it's a micro-contrast lens. WO, it's a bit soft but with pleasant color and modern smooth bokeh. Stopped down, most lenses, especially primes, are good across the frame.

I'd like to see a comp WO with the same exposure in not overcast light at
...Show more →
Subjectively the Lux was a little washed out to my taste, and that's when I'm trying to really pump the midtone or they looked really washed out. Both shot on f2.8, on days apart but similar enough weather. Never look back and regret whatsoever.



Aug 05, 2026 at 04:13 AM
nehemiahphoto
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #2 · Thypoch Simera 28mm f/1.4 ASPH. Type II Review


jeffersoncasey wrote:
Subjectively the Lux was a little washed out to my taste, and that's when I'm trying to really pump the midtone or they looked really washed out. Both shot on f2.8, on days apart but similar enough weather. Never look back and regret whatsoever.


Good you like your path I would be curious to see a proper a/b comparison between the two with a tripod, same light, no processing with rendering involved by you (or anyone with both) lenses. Or processing that is identical.



Aug 05, 2026 at 11:26 AM
jeffersoncasey
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #3 · Thypoch Simera 28mm f/1.4 ASPH. Type II Review


Frankly I'm not interested in doing proper comparison test, I'm just sharing my own real world usage (my own editing style included) and verdict. If my opinion and conclusion didn't convince anyone, I'm totally fine. As a matter of fact, Fred did so much meticulous works on comparing the Nokton and lux (which is basically identical), as well as Thypoch vs Nokton, you guys can definitely form your conclusions from there.

nehemiahphoto wrote:
Good you like your path I would be curious to see a proper a/b comparison between the two with a tripod, same light, no processing with rendering involved by you (or anyone with both) lenses. Or processing that is identical.




Aug 05, 2026 at 11:43 AM
nehemiahphoto
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #4 · Thypoch Simera 28mm f/1.4 ASPH. Type II Review


jeffersoncasey wrote:
Frankly I'm not interested in doing proper comparison test, I'm just sharing my own real world usage (my own editing style included) and verdict. If my opinion and conclusion didn't convince anyone, I'm totally fine. As a matter of fact, Fred did so much meticulous works on comparing the Nokton and lux (which is basically identical), as well as Thypoch vs Nokton, you guys can definitely form your conclusions from there.



Sure. I never quite understand “comparisons” that don’t have equivalent settings. But if they are helpful for you, that’s great.

Regardless, I enjoy your images with the Simera 28/1.4 and thanks for sharing.



Aug 05, 2026 at 12:22 PM
Patrick Kolb
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #5 · Thypoch Simera 28mm f/1.4 ASPH. Type II Review


Old Town section in Grasse, France.

Old Toown, Grasse, France by Patrick Kolb, on Flickr




Aug 05, 2026 at 06:00 PM
jeffersoncasey
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #6 · Thypoch Simera 28mm f/1.4 ASPH. Type II Review




nehemiahphoto wrote:
Sure. I never quite understand “comparisons” that don’t have equivalent settings. But if they are helpful for you, that’s great.

Regardless, I enjoy your images with the Simera 28/1.4 and thanks for sharing.

You're too kind 🤗 my own take on lens comparison is that every small differences will get amplified, and there are plenty of things that sound good on paper but may or may not work well in reality, subjectively. So while unedited side by side comparison is scientific, I don't rely on them fully Because they're just part of the equation.



Aug 05, 2026 at 09:40 PM
philip_pj
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #7 · Thypoch Simera 28mm f/1.4 ASPH. Type II Review


Valid comparisons are so difficult that virtually no one even attempts them. Then you have light conditions that are all over the place, some favour some lenses, others harmonise with a different lens. These are reasons to look for reports from those with a fair bit of varied experience in their same shooting environment, keeping in mind yours will be different.


Aug 19, 2026 at 05:20 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

philip_pj
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #8 · Thypoch Simera 28mm f/1.4 ASPH. Type II Review


On Casey's choices here, the Summilux is a 2015 release, the Simera arrived in 2024. The Leica lens is a 10/7 design with an MFD of 0.7m; the Simera is an 11/7 with an MFD of 0.4m. The Summilux scales at 440 grams; the Simera at 330 grams. The Summilux uses an 11 blade aperture; the Simera uses 14 blades.

So these are not insignificant differences, and the Simera more fully utilises its FLE system. It also features one more achromat doublet, a trend now gaining ground with Leica in their recent 35mm M lenses.

But the real design story is in the glass selection - the Summilux carries no fewer than seven anomalous partial dispersion elements, along with one asphere. Thypoch wisely (in my view) try to minimise this glass type in favour of more refractive HRI glass.

Their 28mm has but one ED element with one asphere, but the lens is driven by its three high refractive elements. The Summilux has more in common with the Voigtlander 28/2 APO than with either the CV 28/1.5 or this Simera.

As Leica's 28/2 Asph is a simpler, perhaps more traditional design with less than half the APD glass of the Summilux 28mm, it appears the 28mm focal length is the odd man out in Leica's almost universal choice of f2 for its APO lenses.

At the same time, the Summilux has a full armory for APO credentials - this is a strange state of affairs, as very few associate fast lenses (i.e. f1.4) with the kinds of images one might choose an APO for. Most are looking for more character, smoothness, settled and pleasant bokeh, different subject matter.

In any case, the Simera has a much closer MFD; more iris blades; 110 grams lighter weight; a smaller lens body; and a much more balanced design.



Aug 19, 2026 at 06:05 PM
philip_pj
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #9 · Thypoch Simera 28mm f/1.4 ASPH. Type II Review


Milan Swolfs has written a fine review of the Simera 28mm with little for me to quibble about, although I do believe distortion in a cine-oriented 28mm does not overly interfere in close portraits, which are more a part of my style than his. His work does illustrate the flexibility and versatility of the Simera lens.

https://www.milanswolfs.com/blog/thypoch-simera-28mm-f1-4-ii-review-leica-m

"This is where Thypoch becomes relevant. They are not trying to replicate Leica, nor position themselves as a substitute. Instead, they are building lenses with their own identity, combining modern optical design with a rendering that feels more expressive.

The Simera 28mm f/1.4 II sits very clearly in that space. The price was never the reason I chose this lens, but it does make it accessible to a much wider group of photographers."



Aug 19, 2026 at 06:16 PM
philip_pj
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #10 · Thypoch Simera 28mm f/1.4 ASPH. Type II Review


The last thing to add maybe is best put in a few questions regarding the 'engine room' - the working spaces atop these two lenses:

. which lens gives you instant vision of the focus ring scale position?
. which lens provides better separation of aperture and focus?
. which one has the least clutter?
. which lens would be easier to use in the cold with gloved hands?
. which one links current aperture and focus distance?
. which lens makes it more likely to accidentally change the setting of the ring you are not presently using?

I'm not sure people need to be reminded of the name of their lens either. Or use DOF scales on a fast 28mm. The small things matter. Not that these are small, when you have to work with the lens controls constantly.




..









Aug 19, 2026 at 06:36 PM
Steve Spencer
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #11 · Thypoch Simera 28mm f/1.4 ASPH. Type II Review


philip_pj wrote:
The last thing to add maybe is best put in a few questions regarding the 'engine room' - the working spaces atop these two lenses:

. which lens gives you instant vision of the focus ring scale position?
. which lens provides better separation of aperture and focus?
. which one has the least clutter?
. which lens would be easier to use in the cold with gloved hands?
. which one links current aperture and focus distance?
. which lens makes it more likely to accidentally change the setting of the ring you are not presently using?

I'm not sure people need to be reminded
...Show more →

Let me ask:

Which lens has evenly spaced aperture stops?
Which lens has a huge space on a small lens to use dots to indicate depth of field?
Which lens has a wider focus ring?
Which lens has the focus ring closer to the camera body?

I know you love Thypoch lenses, but I don't know anyone other than you that actually thinks ergonomics are a strength of these lenses. They are not terrible, but IMO they certainly are pretty mediocre for ergonomics and Leica lenses for my tastes have excellent ergonomics and this lens in particular does. To answer your questions:

which lens gives you instant vision of the focus ring scale position? The Leica lens does this if you understand the focus tab
which lens provides better separation of aperture and focus? The Leica provides excellent separation of the focus and aperture rings. It looks like this isn't an issue for either lens.
which lens has less clutter? I am not sure what that matters, but what you may see as clutter I may see as information. I for one like the depth of field scale and markings on Leica lenses.
which lens would be easier to use in the cold with gloved hands? I think the answer here is the Leica lens as it is super easy to use with gloves because of the even aperture click stops and the focus tab.
which one links current aperture and focus distance? Both is obvious answer, but the Leica also indicates depth of field if you changed the aperture
which lens makes it more likely to accidentally change the setting of the ring you are not presently using? You can't tell this from a picture it depends on getting the detents right and on my copy of the Leica I never accidentally changed the settings as the detents were just right.

So, I see this totally differently from you. Not surprisingly you are rah rah for Thypoch. I don't hate Thypoch lenses at all. People should definitely consider them. Neither do I currently have any Leica lenses. I did like the Leica lenses I used to own but they have their weaknesses and price is typically a big weakness. In my experience, ergonomics, however is not. One of the things I like best about the Leica lenses I owned was the ergonomics. I don't think Thypoch lenses are terrible ergonomically, but I don't think it is a strength of the lenses either, but that is just my point of view.



Aug 19, 2026 at 08:46 PM
RomanMF
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #12 · Thypoch Simera 28mm f/1.4 ASPH. Type II Review


Haven't used the 28 in a few weeks so brought it out on a stroll during lunch. Nothing special photo wise, but I do dig the way the Simeras render, and the low MFD is especially great on a 28mm.

Thypoch Simera 28 Testing by Roman France, on Flickr


Thypoch Simera 28 Testing by Roman France, on Flickr


Thypoch Simera 28 Testing by Roman France, on Flickr


Thypoch Simera 28 Testing by Roman France, on Flickr


Thypoch Simera 28 Testing by Roman France, on Flickr



Sep 03, 2026 at 12:15 AM
nehemiahphoto
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #13 · Thypoch Simera 28mm f/1.4 ASPH. Type II Review


philip_pj wrote:
The last thing to add maybe is best put in a few questions regarding the 'engine room' - the working spaces atop these two lenses:

. which lens gives you instant vision of the focus ring scale position?
. which lens provides better separation of aperture and focus?
. which one has the least clutter?
. which lens would be easier to use in the cold with gloved hands?
. which one links current aperture and focus distance?
. which lens makes it more likely to accidentally change the setting of the ring you are not presently using?

I'm not sure people need to be reminded
...Show more →

This post is non-sense. More Thypoch marketing/wishful thinking from you.

The 28/1.4 has some distinct advantages over the 28/1.4 Lux. But ergo is not one of them. And I like the Simera 28/1.4. But for ergo look to the 28/1.4 Lux or CV 28/1.5



Sep 29, 2026 at 06:41 PM
Picture This!
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #14 · Thypoch Simera 28mm f/1.4 ASPH. Type II Review


He just won't quit—honestly, it feels like he's on Thypoch's payroll. He drops absolute nonsense, dodges any real pushback, and ghosts just long enough to reappear with another round of unfiltered marketing fluff and baseless claims.

The Simera 28/1.4 is a great lens, but this guy has somehow spiritually tainted it. Every time I pick it up, I can practically smell his desperation. He’s successfully weaponized cringe to the point where the lens just stays in my bag.



Sep 30, 2026 at 04:43 PM
1       2       3       …       7              end






FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       7              end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account