New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Voigtländer for e-mount, specifically 2.2/50 and 1.5/75

Knut.
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Voigtländer for e-mount, specifically 2.2/50 and 1.5/75

I‘m very interested in the new 2.2/50 and 1.5/75 from Voigtländer.

Is anyone aware of a timeline when they will appear in e-mount?

Jun 09, 2024 at 03:35 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Voigtländer for e-mount, specifically 2.2/50 and 1.5/75

Knut. wrote:
I‘m very interested in the new 2.2/50 and 1.5/75 from Voigtländer.

Is anyone aware of a timeline when they will appear in e-mount?

The 75 f/1.5 has been announced for E-mount but we don't know when it will be released yet. It should be soon as the Canon RF mount and Nikon Z mount versions are already available. The 50 f/2.2 may never come to E-mount. It was only recently announced for Leica M mount and there is not any indication when or even if it will ever be made for E-mount

Jun 09, 2024 at 04:07 PM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Voigtländer for e-mount, specifically 2.2/50 and 1.5/75

Yeah, Cosina pre-announced (a development announcement) 75/1.5 for E-mount and RF & Z mounts at CP+ at the end of February and RF version of the lens was officially announced in March for April release, and Z-mount version was officially announced in April for May release.

E-mount version hasn't been officially announced yet (i.e. the E-mount version of the lens doesn't appear on their website yet and doesn't have any known release date yet). Cosina didn't make any announcements in May and doesn't seem to be releasing anything new in June. They usually announce next upcoming releas(es) that will be made available on the following month at the middle of previous month (usually on 15th of the month). If they plan to bring out 75/1.5 for E-mount in July, I think it will be announced on 14th or 17th of June (as 15th is on Saturday and all their announcements are usually on weekdays).

On the other hand, they also have the 50/2.2 & 50/3.5 VM lenses in the pipeline waiting to be officially announced and there's a possibility that one of those might be next in line before the 75/1.5 (E-mount). Need to wait and see when their next official announcement comes.

And as Steve wrote, 50/2.2 was only (pre-)announced for VM and I think they might not be planning to bring a version of that to E-mount or Z or RF at all. Personally I'm hoping that they would do a version of 28/1.5 for E-mount / RF / Z after the 75/1.5 but it remains to be seen what they plan to do next.

Jun 10, 2024 at 02:31 AM
Knut.
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Voigtländer for e-mount, specifically 2.2/50 and 1.5/75

50/2.2 Apo Lanthar
28/2.0 Apo Lanthar
180/4.0 Apo Lanthar

These would be my most wanted lenses for e-mount ☺️

Jun 10, 2024 at 02:04 PM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Voigtländer for e-mount, specifically 2.2/50 and 1.5/75

Knut. wrote:
50/2.2 Apo Lanthar
28/2.0 Apo Lanthar
180/4.0 Apo Lanthar

These would be my most wanted lenses for e-mount ☺️

I think 50/2.2 APO-Lanthar might be very unlikely since there is already the 50/2 APO
50/3.5 might be a bit more likely since they have the VM version already pre-announced and it could probably be significantly smaller than 50/2 APO in E-mount too.

I'm pretty content with my CV E-mount lenses (currently keeping 15/4.5, 21/3.5, 21/1.4, 35/1.2 SE, 35/1.4, 35/2, 40/1.2 SE, 50/1, 50/1.2 SE, 50/2) and waiting for 75/1.5, but I'm definitely missing any and all 28mm options (one of my very favorite focal lengths). I do have many adapted 28mm lenses including several CV in VM/LTM but native would always be best.

Eventually I traded away my 10/5.6, 65/2, 110/2.5 as those were getting quite limited use and didn't fit my usual preferred shooting styles, and also my original 40/1.2 & 50/1.2 after replacing them with the SE versions (I prefer the slightly smaller and lighter versions).

I'd like to see more relatively light and compact lenses from CV for E-mount in the future, i.e. more options that would fit Sony A7CII and future C-series bodies, after anything to cover 28mm.

Jun 11, 2024 at 04:57 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Voigtländer for e-mount, specifically 2.2/50 and 1.5/75

A new YT video of an f-stop guy using the Z version of the 75/1.5, entitled:

'Voigtlander Nokton 75mm f/1.5 Nikon Zf'

Inevitably, lens dimensions arose and were factors in his preference for lighter, shorter, fast Voigts. An odd comment as the 75mm is a shorter portrait lens rather than a longer manual focus lens, if you see my point, and the others will never produce its bokeh/fade qualities.

He was using it for (excessively made-up) setup model shots, IMO not its strong suit. I am using the VM daily now and for street, people and bric-a-brac, it's simply a pleasure. But I understand the soft and dreamy f1.5 look is not for everyone, and they may prefer f2 or thereabouts.

The video got me wondering what the focus ring rotation - so much a central feature of this one - is for the 'flow on' mounts. Is it the same as the very rapid VM vsn? [as a side note, Cosina should report ring rotation in their specs, it's extremely important].

The Z vsn has a widest diameter of 74mm; the VM is 63mm, and its narrower focus ring is more like 57mm. These design choices were not mistakes. This alone will make the Z lens harder work as the finger/thumb must travel further and at a greater angular distance. CV have not yet listed the E vsn. I hope for the sake of Sony MF users, it's lighter than the 530 gram Z lens.

Jun 11, 2024 at 05:38 PM
Tonzah78
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Voigtländer for e-mount, specifically 2.2/50 and 1.5/75

philip_pj wrote:
I hope for the sake of Sony MF users, it's lighter than the 530 gram Z lens.

It will be lighter, but not much. I guess it's mostly because of the smaller mount size. According to the pre-announcement in February, it will weight 515 grams. And about the same width as the Nikon version. I also think it should have been a bit thinner, but I think I can live with that. Currently getting rid of my bloaty Sony lenses and swapping mostly to a smaller Fuji system. Planning to get a CV21/3.5, CV40/1.2SE and CV75/1.5 trio just for Sony, once possible. (Currently only have the 40/1.2.)

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/cosina-voigtlander-announced-the-new-nokton-75mm-f-1-5-full-frame-e-mount-lens/

At least it will be smaller than my Sigma 85mm. Or even the Sony 50mm f/1.4 GM that I just got rid of.

Jun 12, 2024 at 01:06 AM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Voigtländer for e-mount, specifically 2.2/50 and 1.5/75

In addition to the 10 E-mount CV lenses, I currently have 6 of their X-mount lenses (all except 35/0.9) and in VM/LTM I have these:
28/1.5, 28/1.9 (LTM), 28/2.8, 28/3.5 (LTM), 35/1.5, 40/2.8 (both the 2014 release for CV VM-E close focus adapter & the newer VM), 50/1.5 Heliar classic, 50/1.5 Nokton II, 50/2 Heliar classic, 75/1.9, 75/2.5 (LTM), 90/2.8.

In total 29 CV lenses. Recently I traded away my Silver version 28/3.5 LTM (keeping Black version) & my 50/2.5 LTM and 50/3.5 VM at the time of purchasing the 50/1 in E-mount.

When small and light is strongly preferred, I go with some of the smaller VM/LTM lenses on my A7CII (or the smallest native ones) or alternatively with my Fuji X-S10 and any of my X-mount CV lenses which are all small and light (18/2.8, 23/1.2, 27/2, 35/1.2, 50/1.2).

Jun 12, 2024 at 01:14 AM
Knut.
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Voigtländer for e-mount, specifically 2.2/50 and 1.5/75

Juha Kannisto wrote:
I think 50/2.2 APO-Lanthar might be very unlikely since there is already the 50/2 APO
50/3.5 might be a bit more likely since they have the VM version already pre-announced and it could probably be significantly smaller than 50/2 APO in E-mount too.

Yes, you are completely right: it would be the 50/3.5 Apo that would be most interesting in e-mount. The 50/2.0 Apo Lanthar is already not too heavy and only the 50/3.5 would see a relevant further weight reduction.

Jun 12, 2024 at 03:03 AM
Tonzah78
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Voigtländer for e-mount, specifically 2.2/50 and 1.5/75

If anything, the 28mm f/1.5 Nokton would be my #1 wish for sony/nikon/canon next.

Jun 12, 2024 at 04:43 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Voigtländer for e-mount, specifically 2.2/50 and 1.5/75

Being 50mm or longer, my adapted M lenses work with aplomb on Sony. Especial among them is the 50/3.5 Heliar, a startlingly good little lens albeit with CA on bodies of water.

I expect the same (but more) from the tiny new featherweight 150 gram APO of the same general spec in VM. And few would buy one if the APO is not markedly better. And I'll be hard pressed not to succumb rather quickly, i'm afraid. Estimated retail, anyone? The 50/2 APO is $850 at present.

Jun 12, 2024 at 05:46 AM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Voigtländer for e-mount, specifically 2.2/50 and 1.5/75

philip_pj wrote:
Being 50mm or longer, my adapted M lenses work with aplomb on Sony. Especial among them is the 50/3.5 Heliar, a startlingly good little lens albeit with CA on bodies of water.

I expect the same (but more) from the tiny new featherweight 150 gram APO of the same general spec in VM. And few would buy one if the APO is not markedly better. And I'll be hard pressed not to succumb rather quickly, i'm afraid. Estimated retail, anyone? The 50/2 APO is $850 at present.

I can just take a guess the Japan market prices (which could be lower than anywhere else). I'm thinking the 50/3.5 APO VM may have a bit different price for the different versions like below.

Type I: 245g (Two-tone)/150g(Matte black paint)
I'm guessing that the Type I Two-tone could be the most expensive one at around 85K yen (actual price at launch at Map).
The lighter Matte black pain version could be around 75K.

Type II: 250g
Hard to say how they will price this one relative to the others but I'm guessing it could be around 80K.

Jun 12, 2024 at 06:42 AM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Voigtländer for e-mount, specifically 2.2/50 and 1.5/75

Tonzah78 wrote:
If anything, the 28mm f/1.5 Nokton would be my #1 wish for sony/nikon/canon next.

That would be my #1 wish for Sony E-mount after the 75/1.5 comes out as well. If not that, then some other version of 28mm. However, as I already have the 18/2.8 for X-mount as a compact native mirrorless version of 28mm equivalent, I'd prefer a bit faster lens for E-mount.

Jun 12, 2024 at 06:44 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Voigtländer for e-mount, specifically 2.2/50 and 1.5/75

It's becoming more unlikely, though, isn't it?

As the world's sole provider of highest quality 135 format manual focus lenses, Cosina has of late adopted a scattergun approach to their lens development program. This is clear both from recent releases and even their website - the company is attempting to service seven different mounts!

Sony was the first in the queue for their mid-2010s renaissance - now Sony is receding quickly in the rear view mirror. Cosina have the task of Heracles in front of them, therefore, just to reproduce the E lenses for Sony's competition - even if they pick and choose from them. It's why there is so much talk about E to Z adapters on the Nikon forum.

Cosina have long been notoriously cagey about their production plans, and you might intuit that they tend to frequently change direction in a somewhat capricious fashion. Not exactly an encouraging combination, all of the above taken together.

I'm very happy with what I got from them (15-21-35-50-50-75-75-110), ironically due to the VM lenses I bought along the way. Come what may, they do continue to lavish attention on wider lenses for Leica users that are unsuitable for not just Sony, but Nikon and Canon as well. At heart, they remain a boutique lens maker, for their own output at least.

Jun 12, 2024 at 05:07 PM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Voigtländer for e-mount, specifically 2.2/50 and 1.5/75

philip_pj wrote:
It's becoming more unlikely, though, isn't it?

As the world's sole provider of highest quality 135 format manual focus lenses, Cosina has of late adopted a scattergun approach to their lens development program. This is clear both from recent releases and even their website - the company is attempting to service seven different mounts!

Sony was the first in the queue for their mid-2010s renaissance - now Sony is receding quickly in the rear view mirror. Cosina have the task of Heracles in front of them, therefore, just to reproduce the E lenses for Sony's competition - even if they pick
...Show more

I think Cosina already pretty much completed producing versions of their E-mount lenses for Z-mount as much as they wanted to, since there was already more than 1 year gap between their latest Z-mount release in 2023 and the 75/1.5 for Z-mount that came out in May. They seemed to focus on bringing out all the best-selling E-mount lenses in Z and skipping all those that were not as big sellers. Only exception is 35/1.4 Nokton classic that has been one of their best-selling E-mount lenses but didn't make it to Z-mount (perhaps to avoid competition with 40/1.2). And since they had 50/1 for Z from early on they probably skipped 50/1.2 to avoid internal competition. 50/1.2 also never seemed to be a hot seller in E-mount compared to e.g. 40/1.2 and 50/2.

In RF mount they haven't released a lot yet (only 3 lenses) but it seems those haven't been top sellers (although 40/1.2 has been a decent) and they also have various challenges with color shading with many Canon RF cameras, and they need permission from Canon for each new lens release. They might have difficulties in bringing out APO and WA lenses for RF due to those color shading challenges etc.

I think they would like to continue bringing out some new releases for all 3 mirrorless FF mounts in tandem in the future, following the first attempt with 75/1.5. To me 28/1.5 would seem like a very logical step after 75/1.5 and would seem to be in demand for both E-mount and Z-mount, but I'm wondering if it would work out well in RF mount or be too challenging from color shading perspective.

For Fuji X I think they now have pretty good coverage with 7 lenses but there's probably some room to expand that range going forward e.g. with something wider and longer than what they already have. All of their X-mount lenses have been pretty good sellers in Japan, with 35/1.2, 23/1.2 and 27/2 being the strongest sellers.

With micro 4/3 and Nikon F I think there might be nothing further coming out or perhaps something once every several years.

I assume they will keep releasing new VM lenses at a pace of 2-3 new releases each year.

Jun 13, 2024 at 01:09 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Voigtländer for e-mount, specifically 2.2/50 and 1.5/75

I'm becoming fond of this guy's reviews - Alik Griffin.

He picks up on the essential character and characteristics of the 75/1.5 VM extremely well:

'This telephoto lens stands out due to its stunning color and contrast, and the overall character it creates at f1.5 and f2 is truly enchanting. While it’s not a flawless lens, Voigtlander’s 7-element design gives it a unique and classic look with a captivating bokeh.'

'By f2.8, the lens almost becomes a different lens with very crisp and sharp details. We saw a similar switch in quality with the Nikon 85mm f1.8 when going from f1.8 to f2, where sometimes shooting at the faster aperture gave a more dreamy, calmer saturation and contrast.'

That is exactly it. This is what I refer to as 'image-based' reporting. It's very helpful. I was shooting at one of our older cemeteries in wintry conditions and the ability to dial in the cross-over from dreamy to very sharp gave me almost two lenses in one. Recommended:

https://alikgriffin.com/voigtlander-nokton-75mm-f1-5-review/

Jun 13, 2024 at 03:23 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Voigtländer for e-mount, specifically 2.2/50 and 1.5/75

Cosina's choice of lens releases in Z and RF may indeed reflect sales data but they also establish the way users will perceive them going forward. I don't see how adding 180 grams and a much larger barrel to the 75/1.5 compared with the premier version (VM) can assist this new beginning, at the delicate early stages of the new projections.

A multi-mount release would be an excellent idea. As for Sony users, most have given up on them and see this as the final arrangement, with them possibly being lucky to pick up some crumbs here and there, if the company decides to feed the chooks now and then.

Trust, once lost, is very hard to recover. And observers have witnessed the demise of (Cosina client) Zeiss who deserted the Sony space in the same recent years, while literally dozens of VM lenses were churned out over the period. Their priorities are clear.

Jun 13, 2024 at 03:43 PM
mudlake
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Voigtländer for e-mount, specifically 2.2/50 and 1.5/75

If Sony could catch up with other manufacturers on their manual focus aids (specifically for me implementing the eye focus aid that indicates when a person or animal's eye is in focus), I believe there would be a bigger market for the e-mount lenses. But maybe I'm dreaming.

Jun 13, 2024 at 04:51 PM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Voigtländer for e-mount, specifically 2.2/50 and 1.5/75

philip_pj wrote:
Cosina's choice of lens releases in Z and RF may indeed reflect sales data but they also establish the way users will perceive them going forward. I don't see how adding 180 grams and a much larger barrel to the 75/1.5 compared with the premier version (VM) can assist this new beginning, at the delicate early stages of the new projections.

A multi-mount release would be an excellent idea. As for Sony users, most have given up on them and see this as the final arrangement, with them possibly being lucky to pick up some crumbs here and there, if
...Show more

I do think they've always been sales driven. For example in the past (around 2000-2002) they introduced some of their SLR (SL series) lenses in Canon FD, Nikon Ai-S, Minolta SR (MC/MD), OM, Pentax K, C/Y, M42, Minolta α mounts and pretty soon they were just releasing them in those mounts that were selling best volumes and the rest of the mounts were phased out quickly and saw very limited volumes of limited lenses.

I think even now they are following similar approach and seem to be always releasing lenses that they think have the best sales potential in the near term, without thinking too much about complete series or consistency etc.

Also, lenses in certain focal lengths (like 50mm, 35mm and around those) are selling much better than the more exotic ones and they always seem to prefer releasing a lot of options in those most popular focal lengths.

Since they have 3x35mm and 3x50mm and the also best-selling 40/1.2 for Sony E-mount now, there's not much room for new Sony E-mount lenses that would be top level sellers while some of the earlier releases keep selling well even today. That's why I think they've been eager to push out more lenses in the new emerging mirrorless mounts to see if they can strike gold there (like they did with their E-mount releases earlier, back in 2017-2019).

Anyway, going forward I think it will make sense for them to try and release variants of the same new lenses together in all 3 FF mirrorless mounts (and VM as well) and Sony E should have as good sales potential there as the other mounts except for focal lengths that are already oversaturated with other options in E-mount. I think Cosina have had reasonably good sales with their Z-mount lenses since Nikon Zf came out mostly because Nikon is not having much to offer in terms of lenses that would suite that camera's aesthetics and since Nikon lenses have no aperture rings etc. Also the manual focus aids that Nikon has introduced could play a part but I don't think it's the main motivator.

By the way, today might be the day when Cosina announce their next release for July (if any). Looking forward to any announcement in 2h 40m from now

Jun 13, 2024 at 10:20 PM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Voigtländer for e-mount, specifically 2.2/50 and 1.5/75

Cosina did make 2 new lens announcements today for July release, E-mount 75/1.5 as well as VM 50/2.2 (both Black & Silver versions). I posted about them here:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1846835/1#16571284
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1846836/13#16571281

Jun 14, 2024 at 01:15 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.