FM Forums | Film Is Not Dead Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5       6       7       end

I just bought the greatest Leica accessory ever made

Desmolicious
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · I just bought the greatest Leica accessory ever made

geekcop wrote:
Thanks for adopting and saving a rescue! As I mentioned before, my daughter worked with the street dog project in Dallas, TX and adopted Lucy from there. I've adopted one as well a long time ago and I used to be a K9 handler. Retirement is the first time I've ever not had a dog living in my household. I enjoy seeing pictures of both of your dogs as well as watching Bruce grow up on the board as well. Bruce belongs to @lukemeup.

Here is a link to Lucy's story when she was on the streets of Dallas:
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0feovnGbzPLDUN5xVXnhvpfPw

Sorry, but we
...Show more

She is adorable!

May 16, 2024 at 01:47 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · I just bought the greatest Leica accessory ever made

Update... tracking now says "Arrival to Destination Airport". So who knows what's going on... maybe it missed the previous flight? ;p

May 16, 2024 at 11:49 AM
cypressblend

p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · I just bought the greatest Leica accessory ever made

Have a F3. Tried to use a Chinese 3D print waist viewfinder (with a magnifier). But it was really hard for me to see clearly (I wear glasses). So I got Hasselblad 500 series afterwards. Wondering if this finder would be friendly for someone wearing glasses?

May 16, 2024 at 11:06 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · I just bought the greatest Leica accessory ever made

cypressblend wrote:
Have a F3. Tried to use a Chinese 3D print waist viewfinder (with a magnifier). But it was really hard for me to see clearly (I wear glasses). So I got Hasselblad 500 series afterwards. Wondering if this finder would be friendly for someone wearing glasses?

As you can see from my comparison pic posted earlier, the WLF finder on the F3 is much bigger than the Leica one. So if you had issues with that, the Leica version would be worse.

I saw the Chinese 3D printed ones on ebay, but prefer the build on the original Nikon metal ones and found one for a good price.
But they are very simple items - basically a shroud to shield the VF. So in use the 3D version should be very similar to the Nikon one. How is the magnifier? On the original it is spring loaded and pops up very nicely, as well as folds back very easily just by closing the hood. The magnifier itself is glass and optically sufficient for the task.

May 17, 2024 at 11:11 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · I just bought the greatest Leica accessory ever made

Got a note that my reflxlab WLF just got released from customs...

May 17, 2024 at 11:12 AM
cypressblend

p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · I just bought the greatest Leica accessory ever made

Desmolicious wrote:
As you can see from my comparison pic posted earlier, the WLF finder on the F3 is much bigger than the Leica one. So if you had issues with that, the Leica version would be worse.

I saw the Chinese 3D printed ones on ebay, but prefer the build on the original Nikon metal ones and found one for a good price.
But they are very simple items - basically a shroud to shield the VF. So in use the 3D version should be very similar to the Nikon one. How is the magnifier? On the original it is spring loaded and
...Show more

The magnifier is actually good in terms of its mechanism (pops up easily as well as folding back). However, the one that I got has a terrible magnifying glass, like a ground glass, which affect the clearity/sharpness of the view. I assume there should be one version that works great in both mechanism and optics, since there are plenty people doing this in Chinese market (The one I got was from 3D printing and photography enthuasiasts in China. Maybe not the same as the ones on ebay).

The pop-up mechanism on the viewfinder itself also works great. The maker added two sets of magnets to let the cover stays open or closed. I've never used an original viewfinder. I don't know how it is like on the original one.

2161715964267_.pic_hd by Xingbai Zhang, on Flickr

2171715964271_.pic_hd by Xingbai Zhang, on Flickr

May 17, 2024 at 11:48 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · I just bought the greatest Leica accessory ever made

cypressblend wrote:

The magnifier is actually good in terms of its mechanism (pops up easily as well as folding back). However, the one that I got has a terrible magnifying glass, like a ground glass, which affect the clearity/sharpness of the view. I assume there should be one version that works great in both mechanism and optics, since there are plenty people doing this in Chinese market (The one I got was from 3D printing and photography enthuasiasts in China. Maybe not the same as the ones on ebay).

The pop-up mechanism on the viewfinder itself also works great. The maker added two
...Show more

Ooof I don't like that. The original Nikon DW3 finder is way nicer, much better made, and has a very good glass magnifier.

May 17, 2024 at 02:17 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · I just bought the greatest Leica accessory ever made

The OG Nikon DW3 finder:

And the view of the focus screen using the magnifier:

May 17, 2024 at 03:07 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · I just bought the greatest Leica accessory ever made

Ok, it came in. Finally. Long version and short version below..

I'l start with the short version - it's awesome just get it.

Long version - it's awesome just get it because (not in any particular order):
1. Really nicely made, black chrome finish matches perfectly to my black chrome Ms.
2. VF is very bright.
3. A fraction of the cost of a beat up Leica AUFSU
4. Built in level is perfectly implemented
5. Does NOT jut out like the AUFSU, so very comfortable to carry - does not stab you in the ribs.
6. Looks way cooler on the camera than the AUFSU

In comparison to the AUFSU, the reflxlab version has a more neutral colour view vs the warmer view of the AUFSU. Most probably because 50+ years aged it!
The AUFSU has a slightly bigger VF, but with slightly less magnification. Both are meant to represent a 50mm lens' POV. You are pretty much guesstimating with these anyway, so after a little use you'll figure out how to adjust.
The AUFSU does not fully seat on my M6, M10r, M7. I have yet to try it on the other Ms I have. It almost slides all the way on, but stops about 2mm short. This is because there is a little screw sticking out on the hotshoe of the cameras, and the AUFSU's foot is straight edged. BUT! - the reflxlab version has a tiny notch cut out so it slides in all the way! Very sweet.
The optics on the AUFSU seems to be a little sharper - but it may be from extra contrast due to the warmer colour vs cooler on the reflxlab, and me checking it in my kitchen under artificial light. It doesn't matter in actual use, because you are not focusing with these things, just composing. And you can only notice the very slight difference if you have both and really look for it.

Honestly, if these were the same money I would still pick the reflxlab version just because it is integrated so much better. But to anyone who wants to buy my AUFSU - the AUFSU is so much better it is an insult for me to have even written up this comparison piece.

Bottom line - get one of these. Maybe two so you have a chrome one and a black one. Will still be 1/3 of the price of an AUFSU!

Notch cut out!:

May 18, 2024 at 09:23 PM
oscartb

p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · I just bought the greatest Leica accessory ever made

Same here, just ordered a black chrome. Thanks for the reviews, very helpful!

May 19, 2024 at 12:01 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · I just bought the greatest Leica accessory ever made

Ok, further testing... used it outside. It shows more reflections in the vf than the AUFSU does. The surface glass of the AUFSU is flat, this one is slightly curved. A minor annoyance as the fact that it is not stabbing me in the ribs as I carry it is beyond huge!

May 19, 2024 at 11:54 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · I just bought the greatest Leica accessory ever made

Used it all day today in blazing sunshine. Did not notice any reflections, super bright. I love this thing, everyone should have one!

May 19, 2024 at 10:53 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · I just bought the greatest Leica accessory ever made

Desmolicious wrote:
Used it all day today in blazing sunshine. Did not notice any reflections, super bright. I love this thing, everyone should have one!

Hmmm ... black or silver

WTH, get one of each.

May 20, 2024 at 07:31 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · I just bought the greatest Leica accessory ever made

Desmolicious,
Mine is arriving tomorrow - so, thank you for pointing it out in this thread. The "universal" part really sold me, because I can put it on any camera. While looking at their site I noticed THIS - which solves a problem with one of my Nikon FM body's "irreparable" light meter. They also sell film, film supplies (bulk loaders etc)
Jim

Desmolicious wrote:

May 20, 2024 at 09:00 PM
Geoff D F
• • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · I just bought the greatest Leica accessory ever made

Desmolicious wrote:

I really want one. I'm just not sure in what situations I would use it.

May 20, 2024 at 11:05 PM
rsrsrs
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · I just bought the greatest Leica accessory ever made

just ordered it for my fuji xe⁴, niko FT3 ... and my old Leica.
so great. thx for this info!

May 21, 2024 at 12:06 AM
Geoff D F
• • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · I just bought the greatest Leica accessory ever made

I gave in an ordered one too.

May 21, 2024 at 12:55 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · I just bought the greatest Leica accessory ever made

I should be getting a kick back or sumfin...

May 21, 2024 at 01:04 AM
Andrew CD
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · I just bought the greatest Leica accessory ever made

Desmolicious wrote:
No way EVER is talking about Riley off topic! He is a collie pit bull mix. I adopted him 12/26/23 and he had 72 hours left before they were going to euthanize him (LA city shelter). Riley has been nothing but a heaven sent delight.

That sounds like a great combination! I thought, from the second photo, that his face looked a little wider than a typical collie; pit bull explains that, of course. Good for you rescuing him! As I mentioned, our old boy was a collie / pointer cross (also from a rescue centre). Mostly collie, we thought, although he was very good at flushing out birds from thick undergrowth (but didn't like loud noises, so would have been hopeless as a gun dog).

(And I won't apologise again for digressing; it's your thread, and you're completely right that talking about this can't be off topic .... )

Andrew

B&W dog (in both senses)

Leica MP  

May 21, 2024 at 03:14 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · I just bought the greatest Leica accessory ever made

Andrew CD wrote:
That sounds like a great combination! I thought, from the second photo, that his face looked a little wider than a typical collie; pit bull explains that, of course. Good for you rescuing him! As I mentioned, our old boy was a collie / pointer cross (also from a rescue centre). Mostly collie, we thought, although he was very good at flushing out birds from thick undergrowth (but didn't like loud noises, so would have been hopeless as a gun dog).

(And I won't apologise again for digressing; it's your thread, and you're completely right that talking about this can't
...Show more

Beautiful pup!

May 21, 2024 at 10:59 AM

FM Forums | Film Is Not Dead Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.