Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Leica M11 Freezing. BH offered refund. What to do?

cborel83

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica M11 Freezing. BH offered refund. What to do?

I bought an m11 from bh a couple months ago and it was like new 7600. I used the card to not pay tax. Itís been freezing a lot lately even with no memory card. Itíll have the orange dot on when powering off or on sometimes and nothing will happen until the battery is removed.
I contacted BH and they said they issue a refund. I love the camera and donít really want to buy a brand new one. I just bought the new summilux 50mm from them as well. I donít know what I should do. What would you guys do in this situation?

Apr 01, 2024 at 03:40 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica M11 Freezing. BH offered refund. What to do?

Get a refund for your broken camera, obviously, unless you want to be anecdotally out the camera for the months and months it would take for a Leica repair.

Apr 01, 2024 at 03:42 PM
braindeadmac
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leica M11 Freezing. BH offered refund. What to do?

Refund, hands down. Leica service will be slow.

Apr 01, 2024 at 03:44 PM
jigesh
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leica M11 Freezing. BH offered refund. What to do?

Agreed with the "returning for refund" suggestions above. If you want to give M11 another chance, try swapping it for an M11-P. That way you can continue using your 50mm Summilux and get to try the M11 lottery once more. This freezing situation for many is really putting a big damper. Very sad.

Apr 01, 2024 at 04:13 PM
robert_in_ca
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leica M11 Freezing. BH offered refund. What to do?

The others are right - you should get a refund. Leica is notoriously slow when it comes to repair work.

Apr 01, 2024 at 04:31 PM
mjc
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leica M11 Freezing. BH offered refund. What to do?

Refund.

Good on BH Photo. Not so good for Leica's reputation.

Apr 01, 2024 at 04:38 PM
cborel83

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Leica M11 Freezing. BH offered refund. What to do?

Thanks, but do I fear this happening if I get another one. I know this is a current theme with m11's but some people don't have any complaints. I know am m12 won't be coming out for a while.

Apr 01, 2024 at 04:49 PM
thrice
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Leica M11 Freezing. BH offered refund. What to do?

You can always keep it, persevere and curse the camera. Let it kill your passion for photography through frustration, pass your return window and eventually sell it at a massive loss because no one will want a camera with freezing problems.

Apr 01, 2024 at 04:55 PM
gordec
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Leica M11 Freezing. BH offered refund. What to do?

cborel83 wrote:
I bought an m11 from bh a couple months ago and it was like new 7600. I used the card to not pay tax. Itís been freezing a lot lately even with no memory card. Itíll have the orange dot on when powering off or on sometimes and nothing will happen until the battery is removed.
I contacted BH and they said they issue a refund. I love the camera and donít really want to buy a brand new one. I just bought the new summilux 50mm from them as well. I donít know what I should do. What would you
...Show more

Buy used here on FM from an established seller and make sure it has no freezing issues before paying. You'll also save another $1500 in the process. Mine is like-new. Not a single freeze, and I didn't even reformat my SD card. Of course now I said that, it's going to start freezing.

Apr 01, 2024 at 06:22 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Leica M11 Freezing. BH offered refund. What to do?

If i was offered a full refund for a broken camera I'm pretty sure that is what I'd take.

Unless that broken camera once belonged to Frank Stallone.

Apr 01, 2024 at 06:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

torifile
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Leica M11 Freezing. BH offered refund. What to do?

Refund as everyone else said. Get one from a seller here or get an M10R and save a bundle and have no freezes. Iíve had my M11 for 10 months and I think Iíve had it freeze 3 times. And, to my recollection, not once since updating the firmware a few months back.

That reminds me - check your firmware version. Is it 2.0.2? If not, update it.

Apr 01, 2024 at 06:56 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Leica M11 Freezing. BH offered refund. What to do?

Return the freezing M11 for an M10-R camera and move forward. The M10 series offers reliable hardware and software that have been thoroughly tested and refined over the years.

Regrettably, the M11 series has been plagued by numerous issues, leading to a tarnished reputation for Leica. I would not trust buying one used, especially without warranty.

Stories like yours are widespread across the internet, and I personally experienced this frustration.

Apr 01, 2024 at 06:58 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Leica M11 Freezing. BH offered refund. What to do?

I agree with returning for a full refund. I have never had to go through Leica service, but from what I read I would not want to get tied up with them on service if there is a way to avoid it. Personally I think Leica should send anyone who has a Leica M11 that suffers from the freezing issue a new camera immediately on request whether they were the original purchaser or not. I wish someone would file a class action suit to make this happen.

I say then shop for a replacement here on FM from a known user. I think that most of the regulars here on FM will tell you the freezing history of the M11 they are selling. I know that mine has not had these issues, so you could buy it with confidence. But no way I am selling mine. But I am sure other will come available.

Apr 01, 2024 at 08:34 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Leica M11 Freezing. BH offered refund. What to do?

thrice wrote:
You can always keep it, persevere and curse the camera. Let it kill your passion for photography through frustration, pass your return window and eventually sell it at a massive loss because no one will want a camera with freezing problems.

This ^.

At a minimum, it will always "nag at ya". Yeah, the PITA for dealing with the refund, repurchase, etc. ... but, that's the route to joy. The keeper route is the path to perpetual angst.

Refund ... as others have stated.

Apr 01, 2024 at 11:17 PM
Malabito
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Leica M11 Freezing. BH offered refund. What to do?

Get a refund, and if you buy again, do it from a store that will allow you to return it again.
Don't buy from a person; many are selling and are not being honest. I was almost banned from the Leica forum because I criticized a user who sold his failing M11 without telling the new buyer. Sadly, people tend not to be honest.
I bought mine and have been lucky for the last month; I hope it remains this way.

Apr 02, 2024 at 12:08 AM
cborel83

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Leica M11 Freezing. BH offered refund. What to do?

Thank. Iím definitely considering that. In the money saving part alone. What do you mean about reformatting the memory card? I do it a lot and I was using Sony Tough cards which i stopped

gordec wrote:
Buy used here on FM from an established seller and make sure it has no freezing issues before paying. You'll also save another $1500 in the process. Mine is like-new. Not a single freeze, and I didn't even reformat my SD card. Of course now I said that, it's going to start freezing.

Apr 02, 2024 at 05:51 AM
RexGig0
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Leica M11 Freezing. BH offered refund. What to do?

I do not own an M11, so, ďhave no dog in this hunt,Ē but if I were offered a full refund for a problematic camera, I would take the refund, and not look back. It is a camera, not a spouse. No vows are involved. As we cycle through girlfriends/boyfriends, if we are wise, we learn to avoid the narcissistic and the needy.

Lenses are the jewels. Lenses are the treasures. A camera body is just a box, with a hole. We may become attached, emotionally, to these boxes, but, ultimately, these boxes are consumable, and then disposable.

When I decided to buy my individual, specific, well-preserved, pre-owned Summilux-M 50mm ASPH, in April 2018, I had test-shot with it on pre-owned and demonstrator M9 and M Type 240 cameras. I was not in love with the camera bodies, though I did love using the rangefinder mechanisms. My buying decision was fortuitously timed, as it had just become possible to buy a new M10, without having to first be on a waiting list.

As Fred Miranda, the owner of this forum, wisely advised, the M10 series has had time to prove itself. As I see it, with the values of pre-owned M10-series camera tending to hold relatively steady, one could buy a well-preserved M10-series camera, use it to become proficient with rangefinder shooting, and then re-sell for close to what one paid for it, when ready to ďupgradeĒ cameras.

Apr 02, 2024 at 06:12 AM
coralnut
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Leica M11 Freezing. BH offered refund. What to do?

I'm someone who enjoys Leica cameras but I am not personally invested. Technically I'm not a member of "The Club" and I'm one of those who is on the outside looking in, so I have reservations about chiming in. Be that as it may, the answer to the OP's question seems like a no-brainer: Get a refund on the camera that has problems and find a worthy replacement. There's no doubt that there is a Leica camera that will make you happy, it's just that the one you've got right now is not that camera. If you've already made an investment in lenses and you're committed to the Leica ecosystem, and your lens investment is giving you pause, just keep the lenses and find the right body that will make you happy. OTOH if you've only got one lens that was purchased with the body, and the body is defective, there's no shame in sending both back and starting over.

Edited on Apr 02, 2024 at 07:10 AM · View previous versions

Apr 02, 2024 at 07:06 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Leica M11 Freezing. BH offered refund. What to do?

Fred Miranda wrote:
Return the freezing M11 for an M10-R camera and move forward. The M10 series offers reliable hardware and software that have been thoroughly tested and refined over the years.

Regrettably, the M11 series has been plagued by numerous issues, leading to a tarnished reputation for Leica. I would not trust buying one used, especially without warranty.

Stories like yours are widespread across the internet, and I personally experienced this frustration.

+1. This. The M11 is a post-pandemic era camera and is often not as reliable as its predecessor series. My suspicion is that the M12 will be the next good and reliable one again.

Apr 02, 2024 at 07:07 AM
stgrove
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Leica M11 Freezing. BH offered refund. What to do?

Take your refund and consider yourself lucky BH made this offer to you. As Fred mentioned for now opt for an M10R, heck what is 20MP in today's world.

This makes me wonder what BH does with this camera. Back on the shelf?

Apr 02, 2024 at 07:24 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.