Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1              3       end

Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

aCuria
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

jmmaher wrote:
An AD100 can not beat the sun but they can be used in the sun depending on what your intent is. They can be great for fill.

I have 3 of them, you CAN beat the sun but you have to be efficient about it

That means no HSS and efficient modifiers (umbrella softbox, silver umbrellas)

Edited on Mar 23, 2024 at 07:57 PM · View previous versions

Mar 12, 2024 at 12:40 AM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

jmmaher wrote:
Ok - the reflector does not fit the AD100. It is just (very) slightly too big and the magnets don't match up. Worth a try but at the movement a failed attempt.

Will see if I can kludge something up to make it feasible using one of the magnetic attachments for the AD100 and some epoxy. Might be feasible.

Jim,

Just curious. Have you found out what kind of gain you are getting with the SMDV reflector? I got the SMDV Flip Beauty 20 and my quick test showed no gain over the 85mm zoom setting. But making it a bigger light source is worth it IMO.

Mar 15, 2024 at 04:35 AM
jmmaher
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

hiepphotog wrote:
Jim,

Just curious. Have you found out what kind of gain you are getting with the SMDV reflector? I got the SMDV Flip Beauty 20 and my quick test showed no gain over the 85mm zoom setting. But making it a bigger light source is worth it IMO.

I honestly have not tried but will endeavor to do so this week. I was a little discouraged when my epoxy kludge fell apart but I'll tape it together and try it.

Sorry to hear the Flip Beauty 20 did not provide any additional gain but if you didn't see any real loss of light it would still be a win.

Mar 15, 2024 at 08:22 AM
aCuria
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

bobby350z wrote:
I carry 2 AD600s as I don't think my AD200 has enough power for the sun. Maybe I am doing something wrong. Bare reflectors wise, I have a kacey BD. Typically I use Elinchrom Deep octa or a medium SB. I haven't tried high efficiency reflectors but hard for me to believe that 100ws strobe cuts in at mid day sun.

In my perspective, it's not solely about the strobe's WS but also about the illuminated surface area and recycle speed.

My AD100 can be as powerful as my AD600 pro, but when setup this way the surface area it illuminates is also 6x smaller than with the AD600 pro.

When doing a large group portrait you will need the AD600 for the spread, but for a portrait of one person the AD100 is plenty.

Apr 01, 2024 at 10:34 PM
jmmaher
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

Not sure how this applies as the spread is based on the modifier used more than the power employed. I have both an Ad100 and an Ad600 (and others) and there is a place for each of them but light spread doesn't seem to be the difference to me.

Apr 02, 2024 at 04:02 PM
RobArtLyn

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

jmmaher wrote:
Not sure how this applies as the spread is based on the modifier used more than the power employed. I have both an Ad100 and an Ad600 (and others) and there is a place for each of them but light spread doesn't seem to be the difference to me.

By the time you put the AD100 far enough away for the spread to cover a group you lose too much power. If you are only covering one person with the same reflector you can get closer because you are lighting a smaller area.

Apr 03, 2024 at 04:42 PM
jlafferty
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

Bulb design. The AD100 is a forward facing fresnel with relatively fixed and narrow spread; the 600 is a horseshoe, radial design - meaning most of its light is dispersed from the bulbís sides. If you put each inside a soft direct modifier, youíll get a noticeable hotspot with the 100, where you wonít with the 600. And if you put the 600 in a well designed 7Ē reflector, youíll get spread and efficiency that a small fresnel canít match, even if you normalize their output.

jmmaher wrote:

Apr 04, 2024 at 06:38 AM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

aCuria wrote:
In my perspective, it's not solely about the strobe's WS but also about the illuminated surface area and recycle speed.

My AD100 can be as powerful as my AD600 pro, but when setup this way the surface area it illuminates is also 6x smaller than with the AD600 pro.

When doing a large group portrait you will need the AD600 for the spread, but for a portrait of one person the AD100 is plenty.

For 99.9% of my outdoor strobe shots the subject is a single model. I am using medium to large softbox. BD or care reflector will get me more power but for my needs I don't think a 100ws strobe cuts it when shooting outside in the sun and using HSS etc. Using ND filter in comparison will give be a bit more power but still not enough. I used to have Einstein's before and for beach shoot almost full blast in a Kacey beauty dish.

Apr 04, 2024 at 07:44 PM
jmmaher
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

There is no question that to play on the midday beach more power is better but not all images are created at that time of day/ That why there is more than one option. I have an AD600 but also a 100 for when it works and for when I want to carry less.

Apr 04, 2024 at 08:00 PM
jmmaher
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

An AdD100 or a cloudy day just to add a little pop of light.

ILCE-7RM5    FE PZ 16-35mm F4 G lens    32mm    f/7.1    1/100s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Apr 04, 2024 at 10:03 PM · View previous versions

Apr 04, 2024 at 08:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jmmaher
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

An ad300 or a bright beach day but having the subject with the sun at her back.

ILCE-7RM5    FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II lens    200mm    f/4.0    1/125s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 04, 2024 at 08:07 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

It all boils down to your specific needs and preferences. For achieving a hard light aesthetic, the flat front design offers greater efficiency and control, allowing you to precisely project light onto your desired area. In contrast, a protruding bulb design would require a significantly larger hard reflector to achieve comparable central output (e.g., comparing the 13.5" Profoto Magnum to the 8.3" OCF Magnum). Profoto's B10X Plus stands out as the smallest and lightest 500W strobe by a significant margin, demonstrating Profoto's understanding of this niche market for event and wedding photographers. Even after adjusting for spread, the flat front design likely maintains an advantage due to the efficiency of faceted reflectors tailored for flat front/COB LED setups, unlike protruding bulb designs.

Regarding hard reflectors, it's important to note that they don't all produce the same light pattern. Some, like the OCF Magnum and certain Godox models, create a strong and concentrated central hotspot with a diffused outer light circle, while others, like the OCF Zoom and Clic Magnum, produce a more even light spread. Each type has its own advantages, with the former being higher central output (but would require precise aiming) while the latter being more predictable and more even light distribution. For example, the Cheetah Stand Colt 45 provides an effective spread similar to the light-subject distance, while the Clic Magnum aligns closely with the horizontal field of view of a 50mm lens, making it ideal for prime shooters. Additionally, the zoom function on Profoto strobes offers even greater flexibility in this regard.

In terms of performance, the AD100 is capable of overpowering the sun for a full-body single-person shot, underexposing the midday background by 2 stops with room to spare. However, freezing a dancer mid-jump, which demands a flash duration of 1/3000s and underexposing the background by at least 3 stops, remains a challenge. Nevertheless, the AD100 proves to be efficient in freezing action, with the AD300 offering only a 0.5 stop advantage in flash duration at 1/3000s compared to the AD100, despite the 1.6-stop advantage based on the watt-second specification.

Apr 04, 2024 at 11:17 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

Here is a test using the same 7" faceted reflector

AD600 + 7-inch Reflector

AD100 + Clic Magnum (about 1.5-stop less than AD600) offers a 0.6-stop more than the 85mm setting

AD100 + 7-inch (about the same central brightness as the AD600) offers a 1.9-stop more than 85mm setting

AD200 + 7-inch (0.2-stop more than the AD600) offers a 1.2-stop more than the stock fresnel

Apr 06, 2024 at 10:11 PM
jlafferty
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

None of this makes sense. All of your images are underexposed, so I donít see how youíre using them as evidence of relative exposure. And thereís no way an AD200 offers a .2 stop advantage over the 600.

Apr 07, 2024 at 05:08 AM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

Jim, the purpose of the pictures is to illustrate the light pattern and facilitate visual comparisons. Please feel free to verify the values on your end. I expect that my 7" Jinbei faceted reflector closely resembles the Godox RFT-19. My measurements have consistently aligned well with those of Rob Hall and Markus.

Indeed, the AD200 can yield brighter results than the AD600, as demonstrated by Rob Hall's test with the bare/reflector (0.8-stop difference). However, this comparison overlooks factors such as light spread and pattern. One main point I wanted to highlight is that faceted reflectors exhibit better performance with a flat front surface. Both the AD100 and AD200 displayed a highly concentrated center with this particular reflector, whereas the AD600 did not exhibit the same behavior. Whether one can effectively utilize this small hotspot is another matter. Notably, the Clic Magnum and another faceted reflector I have demonstrated a much more uniform light spread.

I do have custom made Bowens adapters for my AD200 and AD100 to minimize light loss as well as to reduce the bulk so your results might differ slightly, but should not be that much.

Apr 07, 2024 at 09:33 AM
jlafferty
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

Well, I was mistaken, and you're right. Sorry to be so presumptuous.

I stashed the fresnel heads for my AD200s in a drawer the second I got them, and have only ever worked with the bare bulb, because my initial tests showed the fresnel heads to put out undesirable/unflattering light.

But you're right, they're crazy efficient. Or maybe the AD600's bulb is somehow very inefficient. Either way, I did get f/16 with the AD200 at ISO100, 1/160th, 10ft, in a 7" faceted reflector. That's impressive. I got f/16 with the same reflector on the 600Pro.

Going to throw the fresnel heads back in my kit and maybe they'll be great as background lights bounced into V flats.

Thanks for taking the time to explain your observations and forcing me to reconsider.

Apr 07, 2024 at 03:58 PM
nhanzero

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

Please be excuse, because I'm just getting into this flash stuff.

I'm trying to make sense of what you folks are talking about here. So if I buy an AD200, the most efficient head is the Fresnel head, and which 7" faceted reflector is mention in the text? (sorry I don't know much about this stuff, and still learning). And the most portable is the AD100 with the Profoto Clic right? I like to shoot at dusk and dawn to with the sun in the back of the subject, and sometimes just a fill light in mid sun when I'm traveling, which setup would you recommend for the most portable to get in and out?

Thank you.

Apr 08, 2024 at 09:02 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

nhanzero wrote:
Please be excuse, because I'm just getting into this flash stuff.

I'm trying to make sense of what you folks are talking about here. So if I buy an AD200, the most efficient head is the Fresnel head, and which 7" faceted reflector is mention in the text? (sorry I don't know much about this stuff, and still learning). And the most portable is the AD100 with the Profoto Clic right? I like to shoot at dusk and dawn to with the sun in the back of the subject, and sometimes just a fill light in mid sun when I'm traveling,
...Show more

You can search for Godox RFT-19 or Jinbei Zoom reflector, a couple of stores in Vietnam are carrying them. But as you can see from the pictures above, the light pattern is not pleasing with a strong hotspot. The bare fresnel looks more pleasing in comparison.

At the moment, I would only recommend the AD100 + Clic Magnum as the portable travel set-up for a group shot. It's so much more predictable than the AD200. It has an even round light spread that matches up well with the 50mm horizontal FOV, good for even a group shot. For a single person, if you can align that narrow rectangular pattern well enough, the AD200 is unbeatable given the size and weight.

I am going to try out the AD200 fresnel with the SMDV Flip Beauty Dish to see if it can produce a nice round pattern or not (waiting for the adapter to come). But that could be something if you already own an AD200. The SMDV Flip Beauty dish is very efficient for a collapsible modifier.

Apr 08, 2024 at 10:52 PM
nhanzero

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

Thank you Hiep!

I will wait for your test, as of now I haven't bought anything yet, and my main use is for one person portrait shot. I will reread this whole thread to understand more.

Apr 08, 2024 at 11:21 PM
aCuria
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

bobby350z wrote:
For 99.9% of my outdoor strobe shots the subject is a single model. I am using medium to large softbox. BD or care reflector will get me more power but for my needs I don't think a 100ws strobe cuts it when shooting outside in the sun and using HSS etc. Using ND filter in comparison will give be a bit more power but still not enough. I used to have Einstein's before and for beach shoot almost full blast in a Kacey beauty dish.

I think you lose ~1.5 to 2 stops because of HSS. Assuming a 1.5 stop loss, this means the AD600 pro is only emitting 225ws or so. You probably can get similar results with the AD200 if you use ND filters instead of HSS.

The AD100 is certainly far less powerful than the AD600 pro (I have both), but the main reason why I have AD100s is because I sometimes have to choose between AD100s or no lights at all.

I can not even fit a singular AD600 into a backpack with my other camera gear, but I can fit 3 AD100s, 3 foldable umbrellas, ND filters and carbon light stands into one backpack, and have it come in under carry on weight limits. This is impossible with AD600s, 3 of them will weigh in at 9kg

The AD600 necessitates bigger light stands and its more logistically difficult to use. I would not take an AD600 along for a walk in the park for instance, but I have gotten nice portraits hand holding an AD100, I have peak design anchors and a strap on one of them for this use case

With AD100s you have to use smaller modifiers and put them closer to the subject, as well as use ND filters instead of HSS.

If logistics is not a problem for you, the AD600s can be used for everything. Its cheaper to do it this way too.

Apr 11, 2024 at 12:35 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.