Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

hiepphotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

Let me shoot under mid-day sun without much issue. The multi-faceted design not only ensures a smooth distribution of light but also effectively directs most of the light forward.

In my test, transitioning from 28mm to 85mm with the bare flash results in a gain of approximately 0.6 stops. At 28mm, the Clic Magnum, set at the same zoom, provided around 1.2 stops more light (about the same as an AD200 Pro with the fresnel head). On the other hand, at 85mm, the Clic offers about 0.5 stops more light. The zoom setting has a minor impact on the Clic Magnum, roughly 0.1 stops, with the brighter option at longer zoom settings. The light spread is narrower with the Clic Magnum than the 85mm setting, exhibiting a pleasing round shape, in contrast to the oval shape produced by the Clic Fresnel. It's worth noting that the Clic Fresnel has no effect at the 85mm zoom setting, as reported on YT. The accompanying 20-degree grid reduces the output by 0.2 stops.

Despite its larger size compared to the Fresnel, the Clic Magnum proves to be a more versatile option for my ultralight travel setup. Its durability is also commendable – surviving a drop from waist-height without leaving any significant mark on the exterior. Cost considerations aside, I am genuinely satisfied with this setup.

A shot of my parents and two of my kids.

Feb 15, 2024 at 09:44 PM
jmmaher
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

Looks like a great (although expensive) option.

Feb 25, 2024 at 01:53 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

Looks great!

Feb 26, 2024 at 02:32 AM
aCuria
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

How does it compare to a foldable silver umbrella?

Feb 27, 2024 at 03:26 AM
jmmaher
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

hiepphotog wrote:
In my test, transitioning from 28mm to 85mm with the bare flash results in a gain of approximately 0.6 stops. At 28mm, the Clic Magnum, set at the same zoom, provided around 1.2 stops more light (about the same as an AD200 Pro with the fresnel head).
A shot of my parents and two of my kids.

Just making sure I understand the benefits. Is the following correct?

The bare flash without Magnum generates approximately .6 stops when zoomed to 85MM. When using the Magnum and zooming to 85mm the increase is 1.8 stops (.6 +1.2). That would be pretty dramatic but if the total of Magnum plus zoom to 85 is only an additional .6 stops the added size of the Magnum (mostly in taking up space in a camera bag) seems like it might be less useful.

Your thoughts would be of help. I have an AD100 and the Magnum looks like an interesting add on.

Jim

Feb 27, 2024 at 10:12 AM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

aCuria wrote:
How does it compare to a foldable silver umbrella?

IMO, umbrellas are quite inefficient. Although I don't have a collapsible silver umbrella, I can test the light output at the center using my 7-ft silver umbrella later. I estimate a loss of at least 2-3 stops in the center. When dealing with a compact light source like the AD100, it's crucial to have an effective modifier to maximize its versatility. My goal is to discover a modifier that can focus the light efficiently while providing the right balance of spread and characteristics. The Profoto Clic Magnum exhibits a consistently even light distribution within its spread, albeit with a distinct sharp boundary. On the other hand, a silver umbrella, especially without a front diffuser, tends to create a central hotspot (which is why people often prefer feathering with an umbrella) with a considerably broad (likely wasteful) spread.

---------------------------------------------

jmmaher wrote:
Just making sure I understand the benefits. Is the following correct?

The bare flash without Magnum generates approximately .6 stops when zoomed to 85MM. When using the Magnum and zooming to 85mm the increase is 1.8 stops (.6 +1.2). That would be pretty dramatic but if the total of Magnum plus zoom to 85 is only an additional .6 stops the added size of the Magnum (mostly in taking up space in a camera bag) seems like it might be less useful.

A thoughts would be of help. I have an AD100 and the Magnum looks like an interesting add
...Show more

Regrettably, the gain is only 0.6 stops with the Magnum at max zoom. Let's temporarily ignore the spread difference. Rob Hall demonstrated that, with direct flash, the AD100 set to 28mm provides approximately 1.5 stops less light than the AD200 with the fresnel head. Opting for the Clic option not only offers a lighter and similarly sized alternative but also delivers a comparable output with a potentially more appealing light spread and possibly a better light temperature. I searched high and low, no other solution of such efficiency in a compact size seems to be available. It's worth considering the Clic fresnel as well with its distinctive characteristics.

Recently, I bought the SMDV Flip Beauty 20 (20"/50cm) to assess its advertised capability of offering an additional 1-stop improvement. A Korean photographer demonstrated that the Beauty 20 can indeed provide an additional stop with their flat front flash.

Feb 27, 2024 at 10:26 PM
jmmaher
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

Perhaps the Clic Magnum is smaller than I have imagined it. I will need to take another look at its size. An1.8 stop increase would have been nice

I would be very interested in your experience with the SDMV Flip Beauty. I have two of their products and they seem to be made very well. -Jim

Feb 27, 2024 at 10:41 PM
aCuria
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

hiepphotog wrote:
IMO, umbrellas are quite inefficient. Although I don't have a collapsible silver umbrella, I can test the light output at the center using my 7-ft silver umbrella later. I estimate a loss of at least 2-3 stops in the center. When dealing with a compact light source like the AD100, it's crucial to have an effective modifier to maximize its versatility. My goal is to discover a modifier that can focus the light efficiently while providing the right balance of spread and characteristics. The Profoto Clic Magnum exhibits a consistently even light distribution within its spread, albeit with a distinct
...Show more

Your 7ft umbrella is pretty enormous, a large umbrella translates into a large amount of spread.

Any idea how the AD100 + Clic compares to the AD200 + AD-S2 Standard Reflector?

I think 3x AD100 and 3x Clic probably has a similar volume to 3x AD200 + 3x AD-S2

The AD-S2 is going to be much cheaper too.

Feb 28, 2024 at 01:48 AM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

jmmaher wrote:
Perhaps the Clic Magnum is smaller than I have imagined it. I will need to take another look at its size. An1.8 stop increase would have been nice

I would be very interested in your experience with the SDMV Flip Beauty. I have two of their products and they seem to be made very well. -Jim

Already amazing given the size. I am not sure the OCF Magnum can do any better. Still looking for other alternatives

Feb 28, 2024 at 10:11 AM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

aCuria wrote:
Your 7ft umbrella is pretty enormous, a large umbrella translates into a large amount of spread.

Any idea how the AD100 + Clic compares to the AD200 + AD-S2 Standard Reflector?

I think 3x AD100 and 3x Clic probably has a similar volume to 3x AD200 + 3x AD-S2

The AD-S2 is going to be much cheaper too.

The AD100 would have a hard time to completely fill a 7’ umbrella. I meant just using part of my umbrella to get an idea of gain/loss.a

I still need to get a new battery for my AD200 but I will eventually test the output of the AD-S2. However, a bare bulb AD200 plus that reflector is a noticeably bulkier and heavier combo. For me, I just need this reflector for my key light. Not a great pic but this was mid-day sun and HSS.

Feb 28, 2024 at 10:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jmmaher
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

I wonder how the Magnum compares to the SMDV standard reflector that appears to fit on the AD100? For around $35 I ordered one to try (AliExpress - so it will be few weeks getting here)

https://smdv.co.kr/product/standard-reflector-for-b120-b240/2270/?cate_no=150&display_group=1

Feb 28, 2024 at 01:07 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

jmmaher wrote:
I wonder how the Magnum compares to the SMDV standard reflector that appears to fit on the AD100? For around $35 I ordered one to try (AliExpress - so it will be few weeks getting here)

https://smdv.co.kr/product/standard-reflector-for-b120-b240/2270/?cate_no=150&display_group=1

Jim, I'm keenly interested in your findings. When it comes to these flat front flashes, I suspect traditional hard reflectors may not be as effective in focusing the light. By the way, I presume you have their C-adapter for attaching the AD100 to their modifiers? Because to mount that hard reflector to the AD100, the adapter is necessary.

Feb 28, 2024 at 11:49 PM
jmmaher
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

Interested as well I do have the C-Adapter (or at least what I think will work - an adapter made by Angler for AD100). However looking at their site it looked like the hard reflector attached via magnets directly. If not the adapter should work. If it doesn't then "plan B" I suspect the Magnum will be more effective but it may be only marginally more. In general the facted & shinny interiors do better but in some tests I have seem the traditional shape makes up some, or most, of that difference. It was a youtube video by MarkusPix but I can not seem to locate it at the moment. I do believe that outside of brightness the Magnum will focus the light more effectively.

I can only hope I don't need the adapter. If you look about half way down the SMDV site it appears as if the reflector is magnetically attached.

I can not find any other articles indicating a one stop improvement using the SMDV Flip Beauty 20 other than the one you posted. Very interested in your results as well. -Jim

Feb 29, 2024 at 10:39 AM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

Not definitive but I have seen a lot of faceted reflectors for COB LED lighting (for photography and other applications). Too bad Markus did not really say how much the gain was with the RFT-23 on the AD100, but I suspected that he measured the gain at the 28mm zoom setting. https://youtu.be/o8bdbLW2gAs?si=sDLxYMP5m0s5sUSb&t=737

As for the SMDV, I hope you don't need the adapter. Their B120 and B240 have a much bigger front than the AD100 and I saw the grip, adapter plus reflector as a combo for sale before.

One thing that Markus and many others have not talked about these hard reflectors is the light pattern. A lot of these high efficient reflectors can seriously throw light from far away. But within that circle of light, it produces a much smaller central hotspot with a dramatic fall-off with no sharp edge. Then there are others can be a little less efficient but would provide a more even circle of light with a more sharp edge. For me, I prefer the latter. Both Godox RFT-22 and 23 seem to be the former based on a review on BHphoto.

Mar 01, 2024 at 01:49 AM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

I carry 2 AD600s as I don't think my AD200 has enough power for the sun. Maybe I am doing something wrong. Bare reflectors wise, I have a kacey BD. Typically I use Elinchrom Deep octa or a medium SB. I haven't tried high efficiency reflectors but hard for me to believe that 100ws strobe cuts in at mid day sun.

Mar 01, 2024 at 06:43 PM
jmmaher
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

An AD100 can not beat the sun but they can be used in the sun depending on what your intent is. They can be great for fill.

Mar 01, 2024 at 08:49 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

As Jim mentioned, the choice greatly hinges on the intended purpose. This isn't a comparison between a hard reflector and other modifiers, but to highlight a particular reflector. Robert has created an informative video addressing this subject:

Opting for a hard light render, if acceptable, could enable you to transition to a more compact and lighter setup, accompanied by a few other advantages.

Mar 02, 2024 at 02:24 AM
jmmaher
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

hiepphotog wrote:
As for the SMDV, I hope you don't need the adapter. Their B120 and B240 have a much bigger front than the AD100 and I saw the grip, adapter plus reflector as a combo for sale before.

Only time will tell (unfortunately I didn't see the reflector at the US site so I ordered from AliExpress. Now I need to be patient. When looking over the specs of the B120 it appears wider then the AD100 by about 20mm but when I look at the specs of the SMDV reflector the size seems to be just about correct.

I like the SMDV products and have two of the older ones. They now sell adapters to let the Ad100, 200 and 300 work with them.

Mar 02, 2024 at 09:46 AM
jmmaher
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

Ok - the reflector does not fit the AD100. It is just (very) slightly too big and the magnets don't match up. Worth a try but at the movement a failed attempt.

Will see if I can kludge something up to make it feasible using one of the magnetic attachments for the AD100 and some epoxy. Might be feasible.

Mar 07, 2024 at 05:43 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Godox AD100 Pro + Profoto Clic Magnum: An ultralight setup that can...

jmmaher wrote:
Ok - the reflector does not fit the AD100. It is just (very) slightly too big and the magnets don't match up. Worth a try but at the movement a failed attempt.

Will see if I can kludge something up to make it feasible using one of the magnetic attachments for the AD100 and some epoxy. Might be feasible.

That’s too bad. Nonetheless good to have a confirmation. Still curious about the output of this. I crunched some number using the data from Rob Hall, Markus, and my own, the AD100 is very efficient going bare or with hard reflectors as well as the ability to zoom. Glad Godox did not just make something like the Profoto A2.

Mar 07, 2024 at 08:53 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.