New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

A9iii Images

duncang
• • •
[X]
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A9iii Images

Some images from the A9iii - mostly at 120fps.

Feels like an A1 on steroids - except resolution of course. Doesn't feel quite as solid as the A1 body though.

No problem filling a 320GB card in 4 hours ! 12k+ images with 20% battery left.

For small birds this is pretty nice - you don't need them in the frame for more than a fraction of a second to get lots of frames.

EVF seems better than the A1 - clear and smooth and detailed when tracking the sandpipers, red knots and swallows. Pre-capture is crazy.

So nice with three dials for exposure settings.

You'll never miss the action that's for sure. Super nice to have 30fps and then 120fps on tap.

There is a link at the bottom of each page to more pages - will add them over time. I will post links to raw files when I get a chance.

https://duncangroenewald.com/pages/collections/2024-01-24-a93-1.html

Jan 24, 2024 at 08:33 AM
duncang
• • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A9iii Images

Not the best light but here is what 120fps gets you. Seems to nail focus pretty much all the time with both the 600 and 200-600 with 1.4TC. Once again straight from Image Edge.

My initial impression is this bests the A1 by quite a bit for this type of scenario. No wind, birds flying around a tree, light a bit marginal so the worst situation to try getting shots.

Jan 24, 2024 at 09:36 AM
TimMunsey
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A9iii Images

Quite an amazing sequence. AF is really snappy, faster than A1.

Edited on Jan 24, 2024 at 01:58 PM · View previous versions

Jan 24, 2024 at 09:56 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A9iii Images

Thanks for sharing your results. Looks like AF is excellent. Wish it had more MPs and had stayed at the $4500USD price point. If it had done either of those I'd have picked one up. I'll hold out for the A1II I guess.

Jan 24, 2024 at 10:15 AM
duncang
• • •
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A9iii Images

Pretty wild the AF and EVF.

If the A1ii gets the same features it will be pretty neat.

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:35 AM
duncang
• • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A9iii Images

Can't be used for landscape they said...

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:42 AM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A9iii Images

wow, that's a teeny little thing the swallow snatched. I had a sreen spot then realized there was something there, too.

Looks like a great performer. I'd be struggling to get a camera on the bird!

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:53 AM
patotts
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A9iii Images

arbitrage wrote:
Thanks for sharing your results. Looks like AF is excellent. Wish it had more MPs and had stayed at the $4500USD price point. If it had done either of those I'd have picked one up. I'll hold out for the A1II I guess.

It will get there, but being first to market, Sony will charge a big premium (just as they did with the A1). Price will settle, but it is 12+ months out.

Canon R1 will charge a similar premium.

"Skim the market", as it called in business/economics.

Jan 24, 2024 at 12:36 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A9iii Images

duncang wrote:
Pretty wild the AF and EVF.

If the A1ii gets the same features it will be pretty neat.

https://duncangroenewald.com/img/photos/2024-01-24/1/DG93_20240124_1_6917-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg

I wonder how much the EVF improvements are based on the Global shutter though? A1II likely won't get a GS.
Is the improvement just a smoother view while shooting without any image reset when you let off the shutter like on the A1?

Jan 24, 2024 at 01:16 PM
berimbolo
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A9iii Images

I would have been happy with the MP count if there wasn't a hit to IQ.

Jan 24, 2024 at 02:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A9iii Images

duncang wrote:
Can't be used for landscape they said...

https://duncangroenewald.com/img/photos/2024-01-24/1/DG93_20240124_2_1866.jpg

If you can use an APS-C camera fora given shot then the A9III will be at least as good DR wise.

Of course you can shoot landscapes with it.

Jan 24, 2024 at 02:31 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A9iii Images

A few interesting series at your link, with a lower hit rate on some bursts than I would have expected (side to side motion especially), although I assume these are just a handful of selected images from 120fps bursts.

Overall IQ looks like any other camera in this space, although the lack of resolution is showing. I suppose one only need answer the question of "do I really need 120fps bursts". I'm not seeing $6000 worth here, but I know these are early tests. I'd much rather have the A1 even with its downright ARCHAIC burst rates just for the resolution alone

You had better be filling your frame with this camera, just like the last two A9.

Jan 24, 2024 at 02:44 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A9iii Images

Love to see the a9iii used for some sports…see the hit rate of ball on bat or exact impact of golf ball.

Jan 24, 2024 at 02:54 PM
Jemini
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A9iii Images

I can't wait for A1 FW. No doubt A1II will have same AF as A9III, but it's going to cost at least 7K

Jan 24, 2024 at 04:27 PM
InFocus2014
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A9iii Images

This seems like it would be a dream camera for professional sports photographers who are looking for that magical shot where, as an example, the ball is coming off the bat and even 30fps makes capturing such an iffy proposition. Also, such photographers typically do not need high resolution, so even 24mp should not be a problem if they have the right lens.

Having said that, I am not sure how they will be able to quickly cull thousands of frames sitting in the press booth to upload those magical shots for syndication.

Jan 24, 2024 at 04:53 PM
duncang
• • •
[X]
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A9iii Images

RoamingScott wrote:
A few interesting series at your link, with a lower hit rate on some bursts than I would have expected (side to side motion especially), although I assume these are just a handful of selected images from 120fps bursts.

Overall IQ looks like any other camera in this space, although the lack of resolution is showing. I suppose one only need answer the question of "do I really need 120fps bursts". I'm not seeing $6000 worth here, but I know these are early tests. I'd much rather have the A1 even with its downright ARCHAIC burst rates just for the resolution
...Show more

You - it is no substitute for the higher resolution of the R5/Z8/Z9/A1 but the A1 feels incredibly boring and rather pedestrian now so I suspect my A1 will be relegated to capturing stills .

If the A1ii is going to be anything like this thing it's going to be insane. And if they can get 60fps RAW out of it.... with pre-capture and boost mode and the same EVF and LCD...

It might end up being expensive unless Canon can deliver a decent R1 to keep Sony honest.

Jan 24, 2024 at 07:30 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A9iii Images

InFocus2014 wrote:
This seems like it would be a dream camera for professional sports photographers who are looking for that magical shot where, as an example, the ball is coming off the bat and even 30fps makes capturing such an iffy proposition. Also, such photographers typically do not need high resolution, so even 24mp should not be a problem if they have the right lens.

Having said that, I am not sure how they will be able to quickly cull thousands of frames sitting in the press booth to upload those magical shots for syndication.

I believe I remember reading that A9III has a unique culling feature to help deal with that. You can view each burst in a sort of video format and touch the screen to mark the frames you want to keep. the rest will be deleted. Since 120 fps bust are only about 1 second long this should go very quickly.

Jan 24, 2024 at 08:04 PM
duncang
• • •
[X]
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · A9iii Images

arbitrage wrote:
I wonder how much the EVF improvements are based on the Global shutter though? A1II likely won't get a GS.
Is the improvement just a smoother view while shooting without any image reset when you let off the shutter like on the A1?

I am probably not the best person to ask about that because I never noticed any reset in the EVF on the A1 - I use 240p on the A1.

Could well be that global shutter reduces data read time and improves feed to EVF and perhaps improves acquisition speed/AF performance.

In practice it seemed that I could much more easily see and acquire fast moving subjects - but it is all a bit subjective and I will need to do a side by side test to see if there really is a difference or if it is just my imagination playing tricks on me.

There are some swallows I caught right up against a tree which I will post shortly - I seem to recall this being near impossible with the A1 and I suspect it is the very fast acquisition of the A9iii - I noticed the a6700 acquisition seemed very fast as well.

In any event another example of 120fps, not the best angle or light - you won't miss any of the action if you can keep things in the frame.

These processed with DxO PL (edited the raw camera name to A9ii).

Bug pickup

Jan 25, 2024 at 12:22 AM
duncang
• • •
[X]
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · A9iii Images

Examples processed with DxO PL7

Raven

Piper

Swallow

Piper

Pelican

Honeyeater

Eagles

Geese

Cormorant

Jan 25, 2024 at 12:24 AM
duncang
• • •
[X]
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · A9iii Images

1bwana1 wrote:
I believe I remember reading that A9III has a unique culling feature to help deal with that. You can view each burst in a sort of video format and touch the screen to mark the frames you want to keep. the rest will be deleted. Since 120 fps bust are only about 1 second long this should go very quickly.

I haven't tried that yet - and you need it because 12k images in 4 hours is a problem to deal with. I was surprised that Image Viewer flies through them on my Mac so no problem skimming through to find the "bug eat moments" - talking of which.

Looking forward to better conditions where I can use the 100-400.

Bug eat at 120fps

Jan 25, 2024 at 12:30 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.