1       2       3              11      
       13              28       29       end

Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #1 · p.12 #1 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

BastianK wrote:
That is the difference between us: you expect the Leica to be the benchmark, I don't.

The TTartisan 50mm 1.4 was also sharper off center than the Leica 50mm 1.4 Asph FLE.
What I am saying is: that something is on par with the Leica lens does not equal it being great.

Don't get me wrong: I do think the VM 28mm 1.5 is a great lens, but maybe not the best choice for everyone, depending on what the lens should be used for.

To be fair Bastian, I don't think Fred is saying what you are attributing to him. Nowhere did he say the Leica 28 lux Asph was a benchmark, rather merely a lens with which you could compare performance. And importantly a lens with an FLE. You compared the Nokton 28 f/1.5 with the Thypoch 28 f/1.4 because the Thypoch is a lens with an FLE. You are not saying that the Thypoch is a benchmark lens or at least I don't think you are making that claim. In the same way when Fred compares the Nokton 28 f/1.5 with the Leica M 28 f/1.4 Asph, I don't see any reason to infer he is saying the Leica is a benchmark lens rather than just another lens with an FLE.

Jan 30, 2024 at 11:30 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.12 #2 · p.12 #2 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

So, I did a little shooting of my own after being frustrated with the lens in actual usage this weekend.

Essentially, the lens is a lot more like the 35/1.5 than the 28/2 Ultron ASPH, even when stopped down to f2. You can see some crops with systematic tripod testing.

As someone who often shoots WO, off-center and near MFD to about 2 meters, I don't think this lens is a good fit for me though it's very good lens for what it is so I agree with Bastian here. And especially compared to the 28 Lux as Fred's testing shows. The 28/2 Ultron is a better option on optics alone, while the price and size are also preferable. Though I do really like the optical vignetting profile on the 28/1.5 quite a bit more. And while it was not too sunny, I also noticed the 28/2 Ultron has better flare resistance.

But the real kicker, if you are shooting the 28/1.5 at 1.5 or f2 on a MILC, like an a7r2 or a7c, I could not acquire accurate MF focus on a stationary subject shooting WO because of the FC + SA (I think?). Even using max magnified view. Very frustrating. These are taken on a modded a7r2, so native performance.

Below are 2 sets of crops. One take directly at the rule of 1/3's point (focus on toothpaste text). The second is on the words "Jordi Vigue" author name. Even at f2, the 28/1.5 quite trails the f2 ultron.

My take away from all this: I think the CV 28/1.5 is still killing the Leica factoring in price and size, but I would prefer the CV 28/2 Ultron ASPH (or the Summicron) for my style of shooting. Or, I'd have to adjust my way I use a fast 28mm to get around the CV 28/1.5/28 Lux optics. I think I have a good copy of the lens. I just think I am dealing with the limitation of the 28/1.5's optical design.

But thanks Rusty, Fred and Bastian for the testing and attention

Full photo just outside 1/3rd.

Full photo at 1/3rd.

Edited on Jan 30, 2024 at 12:08 PM · View previous versions

Jan 30, 2024 at 11:41 AM
LarsHP
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #3 · p.12 #3 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

nehemiahphoto wrote:
So, I did a little shooting of my own after being frustrated with the lens in actual usage this weekend.

Essentially, the lens is a lot more like the 35/1.5 than the 28/2 Ultron ASPH, even when stopped down to f2. You can see some crops with systematic tripod testing.

As someone who often shoots WO, off-center and near MFD to about 2 meters, I don't think this lens is a good fit for me though it's very good lens for what it is so I agree with Bastian here. And especially compared to the 28 Lux as Fred's testing shows. The
...Show more

Your test confirms my notion that the Ultron II is so well corrected that it was not necessary to incorporate a floating lens element for short focus distance imagery. However, the Nokton would perhaps have benefited from it, as we see here in the outer mid-frame as well as in Bastian's samples.

I think those who want an f/1.4 (or f/1.5) 28mm M lens for portraits and stuff like that, may be better off with the Thypoch Simera than the Nokton. I am not in that camp, so I have no regrets ordering the Voigtlšnder lens.

Jan 30, 2024 at 12:01 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.12 #4 · p.12 #4 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

LarsHP wrote:
Your test confirms my notion that the Ultron II is so well corrected that it was not necessary to incorporate a floating lens element for short focus distance imagery. However, the Nokton would perhaps have benefited from it, as we see here in the outer mid-frame as well as in Bastian's samples.

I think those who want an f/1.4 (or f/1.5) 28mm M lens for portraits and stuff like that, may be better off with the Thypoch Simera than the Nokton. I am not in that camp, so I have no regrets ordering the Voigtlšnder lens.

Yeah, with native performance, I find the CV 28/2 Ultron to be fantastic across the entire frame with great flare resistance, ergo and size to boot. I would like a faster option like the Simera, Lux or CV Nokton, but I don't want the compromises with those lenses. So the CV 28/2 is the lens for me, despite the optical vignetting and it being f2 and not faster.

Jan 30, 2024 at 12:07 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.12 #5 · p.12 #5 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

nehemiahphoto wrote:

As someone who often shoots WO, off-center and near MFD to about 2 meters, I don't think this lens is a good fit for me though it's very good lens for what it is so I agree with Bastian here. And especially compared to the 28 Lux as Fred's testing shows. The
...Show more

Thanks for the comparison, Nehemiah. Making a compact f/2 lens is indeed less challenging than an f/1.5 lens, so we shouldn't anticipate the Nokton to outperform the Ultron in the same manner as the Leica 28/2 Summicron is superior to the Summilux, especially off-center.

There are additional factors to consider in a lens beyond resolution and contrast, making the decision on the better lens more nuanced. For example, the Ultron shows higher optical vignetting (cats-eye/swirling) even in comparison to the Nokton when wide open. The Nokton at f/2 performs much better in this aspect. And so on...

I haven't compared the CV 28/1.5 Nokton with the CV 28/2 Ultron II until now because the Ultron loan I received was not centered. However, I now have a great, centered copy of the Ultron and plan to share comparisons on infinity resolution, contrast, and rendering soon.

Jan 30, 2024 at 12:14 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.12 #6 · p.12 #6 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
Thanks for the comparison, Nehemiah. Making a compact f/2 lens is indeed less challenging than an f/1.5 lens, so we shouldn't anticipate the Nokton to outperform the Ultron in the same manner as the Leica 28/2 Summicron is superior to the Summilux, especially off-center.

There are additional factors to consider in a lens beyond resolution and contrast, making the decision on the better lens more nuanced. For example, the Ultron shows higher optical vignetting (cats-eye/swirling) even in comparison to the Nokton when wide open. The Nokton at f/2 performs much better in this aspect. And so on...

I haven't compared the
...Show more

For sure--the fast lenses are hard to make, especially when you want them compact.

I think you'll find the 28/2 Ultron to have snappier contrast, resolve better and have better flare resistance. Just not at 1.5

What I am finding (with the exception of the 40/1.2 and 50/1.2) is I prefer CV's compact f2 (non-APO) lenses to their f1.5 counterparts, meaning 28/2 > 28/1.5, CV 35/2 > 35/1.5 and CV 75/1.9 > CV 75/1.5

Jan 30, 2024 at 12:18 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.12 #7 · p.12 #7 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

nehemiahphoto wrote:

...Show more

That was my concern, that the 28 1.5 would be too much like the 35 1.5. I guess that's not surprising since the aluminum versions look identical. The 35 1.5 sometimes reminded me of my $69 Z-mount TTA 50 f/2 when that veiling flare would hit.

I'm not sure Voigtlander wants to deal with the pain of manufacturing 28/35/50 1.4 FLE designs to the required tolerances and calibration. They did it with the 21 1.4, but it's a huge lens, and a similarly designed 35 1.4 FLE would probably be as big as the Zeiss ZM version, which people love to complain about. I guess there is a reason the 28 Lux is the size, weight, and cost that it is.

Jan 30, 2024 at 02:23 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.12 #8 · p.12 #8 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

highdesertmesa wrote:
That was my concern, that the 28 1.5 would be too much like the 35 1.5. I guess that's not surprising since the aluminum versions look identical. The 35 1.5 sometimes reminded me of my $69 Z-mount TTA 50 f/2 when that veiling flare would hit.

I'm not sure Voigtlander wants to deal with the pain of manufacturing 28/35/50 1.4 FLE designs to the required tolerances and calibration. They did it with the 21 1.4, but it's a huge lens, and a similarly designed 35 1.4 FLE would probably be as big as the Zeiss ZM version, which people love to
...Show more

I donít want to denigrate the 28/1.5Ėitís all about realistic alternatives. If youíre in m-mount land, itís really

a) 28/1.4 7artisans
b) CV 28/1.5
c) 28 Lux
d) Simera 28/1.4

Realistically, the CV 28/1.5 is doing wonderfully with the lenses in class (fast 28mmís). I personally have tried the top 2 and am not satisfied. Rather than accept the trade-offs, Iíve opted for a slower lens (different type of trade off) that is easier to focus and better IQ in the 28/2 Uv2

If I was wow-ed by the files of the 28/1.5 (or 35/1.5) I would look pass the faults more (like the ZM 35/1.4 or 35 FLE). Iíll keep my eye on Bastianís Simera 28/1.4 review, but having shot the 35/1.4, I doubt Iíll budge off the CV 28/2.

Edited on Jan 30, 2024 at 02:41 PM · View previous versions

Jan 30, 2024 at 02:38 PM
BastianK
• • •
p.12 #9 · p.12 #9 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

highdesertmesa wroteI guess there is a reason the 28 Lux is the size, weight, and cost that it is.

I wish I had a brand with an image like Leica that would be able to make people actually believe something like that.

Jan 30, 2024 at 02:40 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.12 #10 · p.12 #10 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Back to Quick Links

Chromatic aberration control: Axial CA and Purple Fringing

Fast lenses, such as the Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton, are susceptible to axial (or longitudinal) chromatic aberration (LoCA), particularly when shooting wide open. Unlike Lateral CA, which can be seen at any aperture and appears towards the edge of the frame, axial CA becomes visible in out-of-focus areas both behind and in front of the plane of focus when shooting at wide apertures. This aberration typically manifests as a magenta/green color error. Stopping down the aperture, for instance, to f/2.8, effectively diminishes axial CA, and in the case of the Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton, it's practically eliminated at this setting.

While post-processing can be used to reduce this type of chromatic aberration, the outcomes may not be as satisfactory as with Lateral CA. After correction, affected areas lose color saturation, and the color error could still be noticeable upon close inspection. Therefore, the recommended approach is to slightly stop down the lens for enhanced correction when necessary, particularly in situations with high-contrast lighting.

Purple fringing, a variant of axial CA, is also a common occurrence with fast lenses. This type of aberration becomes noticeable around the plane of focus. It is apparent when using the Voigtlander 28/1.5 Nokton wide open, in areas of very high contrast, such as reflective metal surfaces, as seen in the samples below.

In the below comparison, I'll show image crops at pixel level in order to highlight color issues with the Voigtlander 28/1.5 Nokton at f/1.5, f/2, and f/2.8. I'll also compare it to the Leica 28mm f/1.4 Summilux in real-world situations.

In summary, the Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton shows an average and expected level of axial chromatic aberration correction for a lens with such a fast aperture. Its correction aligns well with that of the Leica 28/1.4 Lux, the lens used in our comparison.

Sample 1:
LoCA correction at f/1.5, f/2 and f/2.8 apertures

At f/1.5

LEICA M10-R    Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton lens    28mm    f/4.0    1/4000s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Purple fringing: f/1.5 (LEFT) | f/2 (RIGHT)

Purple fringing: f/2 (LEFT) | f/2.8 (RIGHT)

Green fringing: f/1.5 (LEFT) | f/2 (RIGHT)

Green fringing: f/2 (LEFT) | f/2.8 (RIGHT)

Jan 30, 2024 at 02:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.12 #11 · p.12 #11 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Sample 2 and 3:
LoCA correction at f/1.5, f/2 and f/2.8 apertures

LEICA M10-R    Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton lens    28mm    f/4.0    1/4000s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Magenta fringing (in front of plane of focus): f/1.5 (LEFT) | f/2 (RIGHT)

Magenta fringing (in front of plane of focus): f/2 (LEFT) | f/2.8 (RIGHT)

Jan 30, 2024 at 02:53 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.12 #12 · p.12 #12 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Comparison 1:
LoCA correction compared to Leica 28mm f/1.4 Summilux (All wide open)

LEICA M10-R    Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton lens    28mm    f/4.0    1/1500s    100 ISO    +0.7 EV  

Voigtlander 28/1.5 Nokton @f/1.5

Leica 28/1.4 Summilux @f/1.4

Jan 30, 2024 at 02:57 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.12 #13 · p.12 #13 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Comparison 2:

LEICA M10-R    Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton lens    28mm    f/4.0    1/4000s    100 ISO    +1.0 EV  

Jan 30, 2024 at 02:58 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.12 #14 · p.12 #14 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Comparison 3:

Green fringing: Voigtlander 28/1.5 Nokton @f/1.5

Green fringing: Leica 28mm f/1.4 Summilux @f/1.4

Jan 30, 2024 at 03:02 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.12 #15 · p.12 #15 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

BastianK wrote:
I wish I had a brand with an image like Leica that would be able to make people actually believe something like that.

I wish you had a brand that could make a 28 1.4 FLE M lens at a reasonable cost that was lighter and smaller than the Lux.

Jan 30, 2024 at 03:30 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.12 #16 · p.12 #16 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

nehemiahphoto wrote:
I donít want to denigrate the 28/1.5Ėitís all about realistic alternatives. If youíre in m-mount land, itís really

a) 28/1.4 7artisans
b) CV 28/1.5
c) 28 Lux
d) Simera 28/1.4

Realistically, the CV 28/1.5 is doing wonderfully with the lenses in class (fast 28mmís). I personally have tried the top 2 and am not satisfied. Rather than accept the trade-offs, Iíve opted for a slower lens (different type of trade off) that is easier to focus and better IQ in the 28/2 Uv2

If I was wow-ed by the files of the 28/1.5 (or 35/1.5) I would look pass the faults more (like
...Show more

I think I'm leaning toward the Color Skopar 28 f/2.8 at this point. I gave up trying to find a good copy of the 28 Ultron II†Ė should have kept the first one I bought.

Jan 30, 2024 at 03:44 PM
BastianK
• • •
p.12 #17 · p.12 #17 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

highdesertmesa wrote:
I wish you had a brand that could make a 28 1.4 FLE M lens at a reasonable cost that was lighter and smaller than the Lux.

There you go:
https://phillipreeve.net/blog/hands-on-thypoch-simera-28mm-1-4-and-35mm-1-4/

If it was my brand it would have less handling issues though.

Jan 30, 2024 at 03:47 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.12 #18 · p.12 #18 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

BastianK wrote:
There you go:
https://phillipreeve.net/blog/hands-on-thypoch-simera-28mm-1-4-and-35mm-1-4/

If it was my brand it would have less handling issues though.

Looks like it's bigger than the 28 Lux, though. Rendering looks like what I was hoping for with the CV 28 1.5. I think they nailed that.

Jan 30, 2024 at 04:00 PM
ashwinrao1
• •
p.12 #19 · p.12 #19 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

pinewood wrote:
Wow, this is possibly the first Voigtlander lens I'm going to buy. Too bad about the chrome ring but I'll live with it for this lens.

The Hood really helps hide the silver ring, which is nice.

Jan 30, 2024 at 04:02 PM
BastianK
• • •
p.12 #20 · p.12 #20 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

highdesertmesa wrote:
Looks like it's bigger than the 28 Lux, though. Rendering looks like what I was hoping for with the CV 28 1.5. I think they nailed that.

Leica data sheet says: 81 mm / 67 mm (with / without lens hood)

I measued the Thypoch to be 55 mm from camera without hood.
No idea how Leica measures (from bayonet or camera), but either way the Thypoch is definitely smaller. Not as small as the Voigtlšnder though and I see that difference being meaningful to some people.

Jan 30, 2024 at 04:05 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.