helimat wrote:
That would make sense being that most of the internals are the same. NOS or slightly used might be the way to go
My experience and my research suggests strongly that whichever M you get, new or used, if it is from the MP/M-A/M6 new gen, sacrifice a fresh roll of film to check if it is a film scratcher.
Desmolicious wrote:
My experience and my research suggests strongly that whichever M you get, new or used, if it is from the MP/M-A/M6 new gen, sacrifice a fresh roll of film to check if it is a film scratcher.
Not a bad idea. I didn't hear much about the issue until recently though, right?
helimat wrote:
Not a bad idea. I didn't hear much about the issue until recently though, right?
I think the issue was exposed with the new M6, as that was so ballyhooed with the claim of new parts, Leica was making those parts in house now etc, which encourage others to talk up. Because from what I have seen previously if someone said their MP scratched film, they would be shouted down by the fan-bois.
And in a way I get it, because whoever heard of a camera scratching film out of the box? I've owned literally hundreds of different cameras, from disposable ones, to super expensive. And never experienced film scratching until the new Leica M6. So it did seem to be an impossible claim.
And yet, more and more are coming out that their MPs also are film scratchers etc.
Desmolicious wrote:
I think the issue was exposed with the new M6, as that was so ballyhooed with the claim of new parts, Leica was making those parts in house now etc, which encourage others to talk up. Because from what I have seen previously if someone said their MP scratched film, they would be shouted down by the fan-bois.
And in a way I get it, because whoever heard of a camera scratching film out of the box? I've owned literally hundreds of different cameras, from disposable ones, to super expensive. And never experienced film scratching until the new Leica M6. So it did seem to be an impossible claim.
And yet, more and more are coming out that their MPs also are film scratchers etc.
helimat wrote:
Ok. I'm definitely curious how far the issue goes back with the MP... Because I'm somewhat in the market for one.
One thing is for sure, my nearly 40-year old M6 is chugging along like a champ. Zero issues.
It goes back at least until 2020. It is random too. So whatever you get, check it. On thread in the l-camera forum there is plentu of info about that. My new 2022 M6 was the first and only scratching M that I own/owned.
rji2goleez wrote:
A little late to this party but I am just ahead of the OP in this film journey. I found a mint Leica M4-P to go along with my M11. I also have a couple of other cams from my past like the Canonet QL17 GIII which I resurrected. And a medium format Minolta TLR.
Once I got used to the process of operating each of these cameras, my images improved. I'm using a local lab to process and my costs are pretty much in line with the OP. I am planning to develop my own B&W and perhaps color C-41 as well. For developing, I will be using a Lab Box. It seems that some love the Lab Box and some don't but I'm willing to give it a try and avoid the fumbling with a changing bag. For scanning, I plan to use my Sony A1 with macro lens and the Valoi Easy 35 (when it arrives). It's beeen a fun journey and I'm really happy with the results. There's something very satisfying about clicking the shutter and then advancing the film....Show more →
I’m just behind you in my film journey but on the same exact one it seems. Excited to try the Lab Box and the easy35. I will get a couple rolls developed by a lab first though.
Also my new MP doesn’t scratch. Tested and confirmed. Just in case folks thought it was happening to everyone.
Thanks all for the help! I bought an excellent condition MP black paint on the boards here! I should have it tomorrow. So now I've been reading the manual and watching YouTube videos on how to load and unload the film haha. I'll waste a roll like Huss suggested and make sure it's not scratching the film, but it'll also be my practice roll.
rji2goleez wrote:
A little late to this party but I am just ahead of the OP in this film journey. I found a mint Leica M4-P to go along with my M11. I also have a couple of other cams from my past like the Canonet QL17 GIII which I resurrected. And a medium format Minolta TLR.
Once I got used to the process of operating each of these cameras, my images improved. I'm using a local lab to process and my costs are pretty much in line with the OP. I am planning to develop my own B&W and perhaps color C-41 as well. For developing, I will be using a Lab Box. It seems that some love the Lab Box and some don't but I'm willing to give it a try and avoid the fumbling with a changing bag. For scanning, I plan to use my Sony A1 with macro lens and the Valoi Easy 35 (when it arrives). It's beeen a fun journey and I'm really happy with the results. There's something very satisfying about clicking the shutter and then advancing the film....Show more →
I've seen your introduction to film and love it! Very impressed. Please keep posting.
lifeandmylens wrote:
Thanks all for the help! I bought an excellent condition MP black paint on the boards here! I should have it tomorrow. So now I've been reading the manual and watching YouTube videos on how to load and unload the film haha. I'll waste a roll like Huss suggested and make sure it's not scratching the film, but it'll also be my practice roll.
Watch this guy on how to load: &t=152s Skip to 2.30.
Everything else is wrong and likely to lead to disappointment, the "oh my God I shot 47 shots and then realised that the film wasn't even advancing" type of disappointment.
panos.v wrote:
Watch this guy on how to load: &t=152s Skip to 2.30.
Everything else is wrong and likely to lead to disappointment, the "oh my God I shot 47 shots and then realised that the film wasn't even advancing" type of disappointment.
I'll be curious to hear about how it goes!
Also, and for anyone using a digital and film m together, how do you adapt to the opposite rotations of their shutter speed dials?
acalmplace wrote:
I'll be curious to hear about how it goes!
Also, and for anyone using a digital and film m together, how do you adapt to the opposite rotations of their shutter speed dials?
I experience this often since my digital M cameras use the opposite dial rotation compared to my M6 non-TTL and predecessor M cameras. I don't like the change in dial rotation which Leica implemented later (and it is not logical for me either even it supposedly should support the dial direction of the lens aperture blade - assuming the used lens uses the same direction). Something to get used to when using film and digital M in parallel.
acalmplace wrote:
I'll be curious to hear about how it goes!
Also, and for anyone using a digital and film m together, how do you adapt to the opposite rotations of their shutter speed dials?
Just use an M7. Turns in the same direction. Plus it also has AE so really like using an M10. But better because film.
Desmolicious wrote:
Just use an M7. Turns in the same direction. Plus it also has AE so really like using an M10. But better because film.
Yes, I believe the M7 and the M6 ttl do, but not the new M6, which surprised me.
I'm simply curious about the experience of the OP and those who use cameras with dials going in opposite directions. How much of an issue this is, in what ways, and whether they have tips to share?
Not had an M7 but I hate the little piddly shutter wheels of the other Leicas. The digital ones are so much nicer. Almost as nice as the R8/9 shutter speed wheels.