fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       12              14       …       31       32       end
  

Archive 2023 · Curious about Film

  
 
OregonSun
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #1 · Curious about Film




lifeandmylens wrote:
I ordered some ProImage 100, but it looks like Superia Xtra has been discontinued?

Any recommendations on a 800 speed film for indoor use?


Bummer to hear about Superia Xtra. Cinestill 800 comes to mind for indoors, although I've never shot it myself.



Oct 06, 2023 at 08:15 AM
bjhurley
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #2 · Curious about Film


OregonSun wrote:
Bummer to hear about Superia Xtra. Cinestill 800 comes to mind for indoors, although I've never shot it myself.


I'd avoid those Cinestill films; I lost 80 percent of two rolls of Cinestill 400D due to light leaks (only a few light leaks with other films on the same camera) and lots of other people report the same thing with other Cinestill films. See Bastian's experience and samples with the 800T here: https://phillipreeve.net/blog/analogue-adventures-part-7-cinestill-800t/



Oct 06, 2023 at 08:33 AM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #3 · Curious about Film


Kodak Aerocolor IV (available respooled under names like Luminaire, Santa Color etc)






Oct 06, 2023 at 09:17 AM
ottokbre
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #4 · Curious about Film


I really struggle to get decent skin tones out of Kodak Aerocolor IV. I havent done a TIFF copy edit but I like a film that I can get skin tone right out of NLP. I loved it otherwise.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UmByMB5XTCi7zWa66

For skin I liked Cinestill 400D better.

So much is in the color grading. Huss is getting full on Kodak 100VS vibes out of everything.

RIP Fuji Reala.



Oct 06, 2023 at 12:36 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #5 · Curious about Film


ottokbre wrote..

So much is in the color grading. Huss is getting full on Kodak 100VS vibes out of everything.

.


That is the thing, isn't it? Film used in a scanning workflow is very different from film printed directly onto paper.
We have much more control over how we want our end results to look, which IMO is great.

On one of the Wes Anderson threads, I showed how easy it was to take one of my regular film shots and give the Wes treatment. Not that I care for that for my stuff, but that is what we can do.

And yet I will still say, avoid Wolfen NC400. It is a hot pile of garbage and I couldn't do anything with it apart from produce grainy, unsharp, muddy washed out poop. It really does behave like 20 yr old film left on the dash of a car in the blazing sun for a few months.



Oct 06, 2023 at 01:04 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #6 · Curious about Film


bjhurley wrote:
I'd avoid those Cinestill films; I lost 80 percent of two rolls of Cinestill 400D due to light leaks (only a few light leaks with other films on the same camera) and lots of other people report the same thing with other Cinestill films. See Bastian's experience and samples with the 800T here: https://phillipreeve.net/blog/analogue-adventures-part-7-cinestill-800t/


Exactly. I don't know what is going on at Cinestill, but when I first started using their 800 - no issues. Loved it. My last rolls from them were light leaky messes. Done. Not going to spend $17/roll for 'pre-exposed' film.

Bummer.

edit - Here is one when the pic is NOT ruined by a light leak!

Rollei QZ35W, Cinestill 800



Edited on Oct 06, 2023 at 01:38 PM · View previous versions



Oct 06, 2023 at 01:11 PM
bjhurley
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #7 · Curious about Film


Desmolicious wrote:
Rollei QZ35W, Cinestill 800



That just looks like halation to me, not a light leak. But man, out of 72 photos I had more than 50 with big light leaks, on both sides of the image and sometimes along the top or bottom. And that was in addition to the halation, which I expected (not just on lights, but on high-contrast areas like mountains against sky).

Light leak 2 1 by Brad Hurley, on Flickr



Oct 06, 2023 at 01:20 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #8 · Curious about Film


bjhurley wrote:
That just looks like halation to me, not a light leak. But man, out of 72 photos I had more than 50 with big light leaks, on both sides of the image and sometimes along the top or bottom. And that was in addition to the halation, which I expected (not just on lights, but on high-contrast areas like mountains against sky).

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53238033982_434fdb263c_c.jpgLight leak 2 1 by Brad Hurley, on Flickr


Agreed. That is one of my non-ruined shots! Showing what I like about it.



Oct 06, 2023 at 01:37 PM
madNbad
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #9 · Curious about Film


Desmolicious wrote:
Exactly. I don't know what is going on at Cinestill, but when I first started using their 800 - no issues. Loved it. My last rolls from them were light leaky messes. Done. Not going to spend $17/roll for 'pre-exposed' film.

Bummer.

Rollei QZ35W, Cinestill 800

https://live.staticflickr.com/4843/46633240531_470dee6307_c.jpg



If Ilford has run into problems with light leaks in their cassettes, it's not surprising Cinestill and others are having a similar problem. It is frustrating to spend a fair amount of cash for a roll of film that isn't up to expectations.



Oct 06, 2023 at 01:41 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #10 · Curious about Film


ottokbre wrote:
I really struggle to get decent skin tones out of Kodak Aerocolor IV. I havent done a TIFF copy edit but I like a film that I can get skin tone right out of NLP. I loved it otherwise.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UmByMB5XTCi7zWa66

For skin I liked Cinestill 400D better.

So much is in the color grading. Huss is getting full on Kodak 100VS vibes out of everything.

RIP Fuji Reala.


I have a few shots with Aerocolor IV that show skin somewhere in the image, but I have not yet used it intentionally for portraits.












Oct 06, 2023 at 01:52 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #11 · Curious about Film


Others have mentioned that Aerocolor IV gives 'peachy' tones and I would agree with that. I think it is a very nice signature.

And this is why we need a film forum. All this info will be buried in this thread...






Oct 06, 2023 at 01:59 PM
madNbad
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #12 · Curious about Film


I just did a completely unofficial, who knows what this really means overview of the economy. I went to KEH and searched for Leica film cameras and was surprised by how many more were listed than the last time I looked. A lot of stuff that doesn't come up very often. They have a number of M5's in black chrome and silver, including a (really expensive) 50th anniversary edition. There was also a M6 Classic with a .85 finder. It could be trending towards another wave of bargain film cameras or it could indicate people deciding they relly could use the cash instead of a MP. The days of over priced M6's seem to be over.


Oct 06, 2023 at 02:03 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #13 · Curious about Film


madNbad wrote:
I just did a completely unofficial, who knows what this really means overview of the economy. I went to KEH and searched for Leica film cameras and was surprised by how many more were listed than the last time I looked. A lot of stuff that doesn't come up very often. They have a number of M5's in black chrome and silver, including a (really expensive) 50th anniversary edition. There was also a M6 Classic with a .85 finder. It could be trending towards another wave of bargain film cameras or it could indicate people deciding they relly could use
...Show more →

Yeah, you can even see it on FM B&S. It is a bit strange though how these shops get a sudden influx of gear. camerawest a few weeks ago had a big supply of film Ms, and Nikon film SLRs - things like F100s, FAs, FGs etc. Now it looks like they ave sold all that stuff.
I'm wondering if collectors are unloading? Just strange all of a sudden to see 1980s and 1990s Nikons, as well as a sudden influx of Ms.



Oct 06, 2023 at 02:17 PM
retrofocus
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #14 · Curious about Film


madNbad wrote:
I just did a completely unofficial, who knows what this really means overview of the economy. I went to KEH and searched for Leica film cameras and was surprised by how many more were listed than the last time I looked. A lot of stuff that doesn't come up very often. They have a number of M5's in black chrome and silver, including a (really expensive) 50th anniversary edition. There was also a M6 Classic with a .85 finder. It could be trending towards another wave of bargain film cameras or it could indicate people deciding they relly could use
...Show more →

I wouldn't consider prices of > $2800 shown on the KEH site as good deals. It just means that Leica prices did not drop much at all. They hover since a while in this range. A large number of newly produced Leica M6 cameras pouring on the market - without film scratching issue! - could change this dynamic. But since the new M6s are still and will remain purposely scarce, and some batches were proven problematic, the prices for used M6 cameras remain unaffected. Demand is still there. Leica M5 cameras about $1500 also remain constant since a while. They are for multiple reasons one of the most affordable deals for used M films cameras.

Addition: Just realized that now KEH is only showing first the lowest possible BGN price on the main site - better quality options for the specific model are priced much higher above $3K for M6 models.

Edited on Oct 06, 2023 at 02:29 PM · View previous versions



Oct 06, 2023 at 02:21 PM
madNbad
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #15 · Curious about Film




Desmolicious wrote:
Yeah, you can even see it on FM B&S. It is a bit strange though how these shops get a sudden influx of gear. camerawest a few weeks ago had a big supply of film Ms, and Nikon film SLRs - things like F100s, FAs, FGs etc. Now it looks like they ave sold all that stuff.
I'm wondering if collectors are unloading? Just strange all of a sudden to see 1980s and 1990s Nikons, as well as a sudden influx of Ms.


The prices are starting to edge downward. Could be investors clearing out their stock or people who bought into the film craze and are now facing twenty five or thirty dollars a roll for film and processing.



Oct 06, 2023 at 02:26 PM
madNbad
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #16 · Curious about Film




retrofocus wrote:
I wouldn't consider prices of > $2800 shown on the KEH site as good deals. It just means that Leica prices did not drop much at all. They hover since a while in this range. A large number of newly produced Leica M6 cameras pouring on the market - without film scratching issue! - could change this dynamic. But since the new M6s are still and will remain purposely scarce, and some batches were proven problematic, the prices for used M6 cameras remain unaffected. Demand is still there. Leica M5 cameras about $1500 also remain constant since a while. They
...Show more →

I was more surprised at the available offerings. KEH tends to set their prices towards the top of the market.



Oct 06, 2023 at 02:30 PM
retrofocus
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #17 · Curious about Film


madNbad wrote:
The prices are starting to edge downward. Could be investors clearing out their stock or people who bought into the film craze and are now facing twenty five or thirty dollars a roll for film and processing.


See my addition to my earlier comment since I was no longer familiar with the KEH site (I avoid this seller for reasons shared in an earlier separate thread). I don't see any downward moving of M camera prices - not even on the FM seller site here.

Edited on Oct 06, 2023 at 02:32 PM · View previous versions



Oct 06, 2023 at 02:31 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #18 · Curious about Film


I have an M5 and it is very nice. But it does not feel like an M. Bigger, squared off etc. For me the one really noticeable thing is the vf is more inwards than the other Ms. W a regular M when I put the camera to eye, the way the camera fits against my nose perfectly aligns the vf w my eye. W the M5, the VF is significantly further to the right and so I need to adjust.
It's not a big deal, and you get used to it super quick, but it is one of many things that make an M5 feel different and un-Leica like.



Oct 06, 2023 at 02:31 PM
madNbad
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #19 · Curious about Film




Desmolicious wrote:
I have an M5 and it is very nice. But it does not feel like an M. Bigger, squared off etc. For me the one really noticeable thing is the vf is more inwards than the other Ms. W a regular M when I put the camera to eye, the way the camera fits against my nose perfectly aligns the vf w my eye. W the M5, the VF is significantly further to the right and so I need to adjust.
It's not a big deal, and you get used to it super quick, but it is one of many things
...Show more →

The M5, M6 TTL and the M7 were designed to be used while looking through the viewfinder. It’s unfortunate that it wasn’t until years after the M5 ended production, its features were appreciated.



Oct 06, 2023 at 02:38 PM
retrofocus
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #20 · Curious about Film


Desmolicious wrote:
I have an M5 and it is very nice. But it does not feel like an M. Bigger, squared off etc. For me the one really noticeable thing is the vf is more inwards than the other Ms. W a regular M when I put the camera to eye, the way the camera fits against my nose perfectly aligns the vf w my eye. W the M5, the VF is significantly further to the right and so I need to adjust.
It's not a big deal, and you get used to it super quick, but it is one of many things
...Show more →

+1. There is a good reason why Leica rebooted manufacturing of M4 series with the M4-2 after the M5 remained below sales expectations. I never owned a M5, but a photo buddy of mine has one which I looked at. One thing I like is the metering display in the viewfinder, but agree, the body is too bulky compared to the rest of the series. The in-camera metering arm is another hardware thing which can break easily and is no longer replaceable.



Oct 06, 2023 at 02:41 PM
1       2       3       …       12              14       …       31       32       end




FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       12              14       …       31       32       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account