lifeandmylens wrote:
Nikon Z8, 50 z macro lens, ES2 film holder - scanning portra400
Set your ISO to base (for me that is 64), set camera to aperture priority, set your aperture to F10.
Point at light panel, take picture. As the entire contraption is essentially one piece, you do not have to worry about camera shake. Even if using super low speeds. Just don't wave it around like Harry Potter casting a spell.
You can test this yourself by scanning one or two pics like that, and viewing the results.
Desmolicious wrote:
Set your ISO to base (for me that is 64), set camera to aperture priority, set your aperture to F10.
Point at light panel, take picture. As the entire contraption is essentially one piece, you do not have to worry about camera shake. Even if using super low speeds. Just don't wave it around like Harry Potter casting a spell.
You can test this yourself by scanning one or two pics like that, and viewing the results.
Re the R9. I'm kidding, sorta. I have one and while it is a remarkable camera, I basically do not look forward to using it. Which is the opposite of how I feel about my Ms.
Desmolicious wrote:
Re the R9. I'm kidding, sorta. I have one and while it is a remarkable camera, I basically do not look forward to using it. Which is the opposite of how I feel about my Ms.
I also just got my first ever film roll developed - Kodak Portra 400 on the Leica MP. Somehow 90% of the images came out properly exposed - even though I was sure I had botched it. Scanned with the easy35 which is really easy but need to figure out a way to avoid the dust spots. I’m contemplating developing at home now - anybody used the Jobo Duo kit with Cinestill’s C41 kit?
Now that I’ve got developing costs down to $6 (not including shipping, but I’m working on that). What are some other films I could use in place of portra 160, 400, 800 (mostly to save on costs)?
I’ve already ordered a 5 pack of Gold 200 from mpex. That’ll be my next one to try. What other color film would you all recommend? Ultramax 400?
^ Try some Kodak Pro Image 100. I really like the look. Some have called it the child of a marriage between Portra and Ektar. And it's very cost attractive. 5-Pack at B&H is $45.
Another fan of ProImage 100 here, great colors and I find the scans are more malleable than Portra 160/400 or Ektar.
I like Superia Xtra better than Gold 400 or Ultramax, it renders great pinks and blues.
Ilford XP2 Super is a C-41 process B&W film that has a unique look. Very fine grain with excellent smooth whites. Blacks can get muddy if you underexpose though.
Desmolicious wrote:
Set your ISO to base (for me that is 64), set camera to aperture priority, set your aperture to F10.
Point at light panel, take picture. As the entire contraption is essentially one piece, you do not have to worry about camera shake. Even if using super low speeds. Just don't wave it around like Harry Potter casting a spell.
You can test this yourself by scanning one or two pics like that, and viewing the results.
Thanks for the tips. I've been using fully manual settings since I started camera scanning. Gave the aperture priority mode a try. My setting haven't change much but it helps to automate things a bit. I set the EV dial at +1.7, left the stop at f8, did the capture and inverted the image. Almost exactly what I had been doing but now I can change my settings using the Sony app and I don't have to touch the camera reducing the chances for motion blur. As before, the image needs almost no adjustments except for the occasional tweaking exposure or contrast. It would be nice if Sony offered an occasional firmware update but they call that buying a new camera.
lifeandmylens wrote:
Now that I’ve got developing costs down to $6 (not including shipping, but I’m working on that). What are some other films I could use in place of portra 160, 400, 800 (mostly to save on costs)?
I’ve already ordered a 5 pack of Gold 200 from mpex. That’ll be my next one to try. What other color film would you all recommend? Ultramax 400?
I find nowadays Kodak films often priced at the higher end. I recommend trying simple Fuji color films like Fujifilm 200 - similar priced compared with Kodak Gold 100.
OregonSun wrote:
Another fan of ProImage 100 here, great colors and I find the scans are more malleable than Portra 160/400 or Ektar.
I like Superia Xtra better than Gold 400 or Ultramax, it renders great pinks and blues.
Ilford XP2 Super is a C-41 process B&W film that has a unique look. Very fine grain with excellent smooth whites. Blacks can get muddy if you underexpose though.
I ordered some ProImage 100, but it looks like Superia Xtra has been discontinued?
Any recommendations on a 800 speed film for indoor use?
lifeandmylens wrote:
I ordered some ProImage 100, but it looks like Superia Xtra has been discontinued?
Any recommendations on a 800 speed film for indoor use?
If it comes to B&W for 800 speed, I prefer rather to push a ISO 400 film instead of using an high ISO one. I have used Ilford Delta 3200 film at ISO 1600 for indoors but did not like the severe grain this film provides. Much better to push Tri-X or - IMO better - HP5+ 400 films.
There is Cinestill 800 for color, but I have never used it.