Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       4       end
  

New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch

  
 
nehemiahphoto
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch


Very curious about these two. Anybody know any more info about them, the company, or know of any sample images? Particularly interested in the 28/1.4. But what handsome lenses.

https://photorumors.com/2023/09/21/thypoch-announced-two-new-simera-35-f-1-4-and-28mm-f-1-4-lenses-for-leica-m-mount-with-unique-depth-of-field-indicator/



Sep 21, 2023 at 04:06 PM
Valorin
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch


Very interesting. A bit on the larger side, but not too big. The unique DOF scale and using a closer minimum focus with rangefinder coupling feedback makes me very interested.


Sep 21, 2023 at 06:16 PM
freaklikeme
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch


It's the first I've heard of them. None of our distributors work directly with the little Chinese makers, so I can't help with information. The lenses do look interesting. Maybe Bastian will get his hands on them for review.


Sep 21, 2023 at 06:32 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch


Valorin wrote:
Very interesting. A bit on the larger side, but not too big. The unique DOF scale and using a closer minimum focus with rangefinder coupling feedback makes me very interested.


I wish Cosina would start implementing this "feedback" on their lenses!



Sep 21, 2023 at 09:01 PM
BastianK
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch


Fred Miranda wrote:
I wish Cosina would start implementing this "feedback" on their lenses!

Main problem is, being a traditional japanese company, they don't care about customer feedback and there isn't even an option to give them feedback.



Sep 21, 2023 at 11:44 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch


BastianK wrote:
Main problem is, being a traditional japanese company, they don't care about customer feedback and there isn't even an option to give them feedback.


I've been repeatedly sharing my feedback with Cosina about this issue, but unfortunately, they haven't made any improvements to their new lenses yet.



Sep 22, 2023 at 09:44 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch


Here are some images of these new lenses:



























Sep 22, 2023 at 09:45 AM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch


Valorin wrote:
Very interesting. A bit on the larger side, but not too big. The unique DOF scale and using a closer minimum focus with rangefinder coupling feedback makes me very interested.


I can't tell if I like or dislike the DOF scale yet!



Sep 22, 2023 at 10:29 AM
fededuran
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch


These lenses look amazing and will save me a fortune (I've been looking for a leica 28mm for a while now). Any info about release dates?


Sep 22, 2023 at 01:14 PM
Valorin
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch


I'm honestly not even sure how the DOF scale actually works. I assume the red indicator moves up to the other holes as you change focus. But how does it indicate how DOF changes with aperture?


Sep 22, 2023 at 01:22 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Thury
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch


Valorin wrote:
I'm honestly not even sure how the DOF scale actually works. I assume the red indicator moves up to the other holes as you change focus. But how does it indicate how DOF changes with aperture?


The dots on the DOF scale move with the aperture control ring. One just has to project their position on the focus ring scale to read the depth information.
This has been used on some older lenses that I do not remember off the bat. Lines running from the dots to the focus ring would help with readability in my opinion.



Sep 22, 2023 at 09:38 PM
retrofocus
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch


BastianK wrote:
Main problem is, being a traditional japanese company, they don't care about customer feedback and there isn't even an option to give them feedback.


I think they listen to photo forum talk. Many complaints were e. g. raised about two things in the past: Separately sold hoods to M lenses which were not included with the lens itself and easy scratching of black lens paint. Both issues were silently resolved later.



Sep 25, 2023 at 10:49 AM
retrofocus
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch


Thury wrote:
The dots on the DOF scale move with the aperture control ring. One just has to project their position on the focus ring scale to read the depth information.
This has been used on some older lenses that I do not remember off the bat. Lines running from the dots to the focus ring would help with readability in my opinion.


+1. In the past some older SLR zoom lenses used a similar DoF scale but with curved lines instead of the distinct punch holes. The holes here are more accurate and look pretty cool IMO.

This said, what I am still missing here - as in many other lenses nowadays! - are infrared marks showing the focus shift when using infrared light on this scale. This would also indicate if the lens can be used in IR without hot spot etc.



Sep 25, 2023 at 10:55 AM
bluehawaii
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch


Kern on the 50mm before Leica bought them up and disposed of everything.


Sep 25, 2023 at 12:11 PM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch


Valorin wrote:
I'm honestly not even sure how the DOF scale actually works. I assume the red indicator moves up to the other holes as you change focus. But how does it indicate how DOF changes with aperture?

Thury wrote:
The dots on the DOF scale move with the aperture control ring. One just has to project their position on the focus ring scale to read the depth information.
This has been used on some older lenses that I do not remember off the bat. Lines running from the dots to the focus ring would help with readability in my opinion.


It's kind of an interesting twist on DoF scales, but can't help but think it also traps them in a design style for future designs that otherwise could be made smaller by not wasting so much space for all the dots.

BastianK wrote:
Main problem is, being a traditional japanese company, they don't care about customer feedback and there isn't even an option to give them feedback.

retrofocus wrote:
I think they listen to photo forum talk. Many complaints were e. g. raised about two things in the past: Separately sold hoods to M lenses which were not included with the lens itself and easy scratching of black lens paint. Both issues were silently resolved later.


Also Cosina's inconsistent external design has seemingly become somewhat less inconsistent lately with lenses such as the 'type 2' 21/3.5, 28/2, 28/2.8, 35/2... Things which have been complained about in numerous past threads.



Sep 25, 2023 at 03:00 PM
Mistral75
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch


Thury wrote:
The dots on the DOF scale move with the aperture control ring. One just has to project their position on the focus ring scale to read the depth information.
This has been used on some older lenses that I do not remember off the bat. Lines running from the dots to the focus ring would help with readability in my opinion.


Kern-Paillard lenses for 8mm and 16mm Bolex cmeras from the '50s and '60s. The name of this system was Visifocus.




Sep 25, 2023 at 03:40 PM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch


It will be interesting to see what $700 buys with these lenses. The price is kind of in a gray zone, IMO. A bit pricy to just buy on impulse but at about 2x many of the other made-in-China models, suggests a better lens. Because when you spend more, you get a better quality product, right??

Unrelated, but after reading through all the marketing gibberish I have to wonder if there's a special copywriting school in China from which these lens companies hire their marketing staff? It's almost comical, the verbosity.

Looking forward to some user results. Anyone here planning to get these?



Sep 25, 2023 at 08:21 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch


rscheffler wrote:
It will be interesting to see what $700 buys with these lenses. The price is kind of in a gray zone, IMO. A bit pricy to just buy on impulse but at about 2x many of the other made-in-China models, suggests a better lens. Because when you spend more, you get a better quality product, right??

Unrelated, but after reading through all the marketing gibberish I have to wonder if there's a special copywriting school in China from which these lens companies hire their marketing staff? It's almost comical, the verbosity.

Looking forward to some user results. Anyone here planning to
...Show more

$700?
That is a heavy lift. Yeah they can focus down to .45m. But I hate the font they used - looks very cheap and basic to me, and the 7A 28 1.4 is about $400. I had one and while I didnít enjoy the size or mechanics much, optically it was really good.
And at $700 you can get a Nokton 35 1.4II for $600 new, or the 35 1.5 for $900.

I think they are seeing how far they can push the pricing and frankly no way would I spend that much on these.



Sep 26, 2023 at 10:20 PM
philip_pj
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch


Were they interested in constructive design feedback, I would suggest greater finesse for the font size and type used. '0.80.9' seems to indicate a rushed or careless job. Also, the pale orange (red would be better) metres scale lies above the white scale that should (for usability) be placed atop the orange scale.


Sep 27, 2023 at 05:12 PM
dieterson
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · New M-Mount 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Thypoch


Here is a review of the 35 1.4. It has a floating element and receives a very good test result!




Nov 03, 2023 at 10:23 AM
1
       2       3       4       end






FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       4       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.